2005 F150 Supercab Amp, Sub and nav/dvd setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 01:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 F150 Supercab Amp, Sub and nav/dvd setup

Thought I'd share what I did for my setup. I did a lot of searching before I did and this forum helped, so i figured I could reciprocate by posting. The goal was not loud competition bass, but more for the perfect full range sound and a nav/sat head unit.

Deck:
I bought a refurbished Kenwood 6160 nav/dvd/ipod/sirius. Absolutely love it. The Garmin GPS is the best. I tried a couple others and the Garmin is just hands down the way to go. I also added the Sirius module and a rear camera. I wired the rear camera with a three way switch to allow it to auto turn on when i put it in reverse or to override it on so i can check the trailer if needed. Best buy's mounting adapter looks great, like it's factory installed.

BTW, I first bought a a cheap clone unit on Ebay. BIG MISTAKE!!! It may have only cost $275, but it cost $80 in return shipping. They are junk, too bright at night, terrible user interface, and overall junk. Save your money.

Speakers:
I bought four Infinity Kappa 682.9cf 6x8 speakers. These sound awesome! I started with Kicker 6x8s from Best Buy, they were pretty good too. They were out of the Infinity's and the salesman said to try these and return them when they get the Infinity's to compare. Yep, they are worth the extra money. You almost don't need a sub with these with an amp, even at the deck power they rock.

Amps:
I installed two Alpine V12 amps behind the rear seats (320 and 540). I didn't think they would fit, but there is plenty of room and mounting supports. Yes they were over kill (540 total watts rms), but I got them both for $125 on Craigslist. If i didn't get this deal, I would have gotten the 5 channel Alpine amp PDX-5, which is about $500. Smaller, and easier to install one rather than two.

Sub:
As I said I didn't want a truck that shook everyone else's car with bass. My goal was good solid deep bass without sacrificing my under seat storage. It ended up not being the case, the sub is thunderous.

I was limited because I have a handgun safe under my rear driver side seat. I bought a JL audio 8W1v2 8" sub and made a custom box for under the rear passenger side seat. I was able to relocate my jack under the middle rear seat. I needed .375 cu ft and was able to build a custom wedge box to fit perfectly. The box took about a day to build and spray (4 coats of black satin lacquer). The Brazilian cherry pieces you see are to ensure the seat can't hit the speaker. Needless to say, the sub surprised the hell out of me! I have the amp gain turned all the way down and the deck's sub setting set to zero and it still hits really hard and gives me deep bass. Yes, if I turn it up, it can shake the dishes in the house, but I went through that phase 20 years ago. Still amazed at the sound that little 8" can put out.

Cost:
I paid $675 for the refurbished deck, camera, Sirius, and Ipod cable, $99 for the JL sub, $125 for the amps, about $75 in wire, deck adapter, fuse blocks, and wire harness, and $160 for the 4 infinity speakers. Total cost was about $1150. Which is still less than 1/3 the factory nav system, and has much better sound.

Last edited by nagelxj; 08-12-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Everything looks good... nice job. More info on the gun safe???

Old 08-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Safe

Its a Cabelas handgun case. I'm and Air Marshal (pilot with a gun) and like to be able to lock it up. It bolts to the floor and cable locks to the truck. The new ones open with a biometric finger print scan. Mine in fingertip combo.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:46 PM
Looks great!!! I have a similar set up but a kicker shallow mount 10 under my seat and it hits alright I am thinking of upgrading to a JL 10' very soon! Im still looking to shake the dishes in the house

Old 12-18-2014, 02:19 PM
I have a 2005, I'm just in the process of doing this as well.. For the amps behind the seat, did you just screw through that channel stamping thing there, or did you go through the cab as well? I have fosgate amps, which are seeming to be a bit thicker than they should be :/

Quick Reply: 2005 F150 Supercab Amp, Sub and nav/dvd setup