New Speaker Install Question....

Old 05-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Speaker Install Question....

Just bought 4 new Infinity Kappa 682.9cf 6X8 door spaeakers for my 05FX4 with a stock head unit. I only have a 2-channel amp and I dont want to spend the money on a new one. Will this work as long as it has a High Pass Filter and/or is bridgeable?

How do you think it would sound without an amp?

Appreciate the advice...

Old 05-28-2008, 07:32 PM
If you are just swapping out the OEM speakers, your new infinity speakers will work, but may not sound good without the amp.
The common misconception regarding speaker / amp installation is that you can connect any amp to any speaker and it will increase the quality of your stero. The reality is that your new speakers come with a power recommendation listed in the specs as watts @ RMS. This is the power rating needed to make the speakers perform at their specifications. If your speakers call for 45 watts and you only give them 25 watts, they will still work, but you will not get the performance that the manufacturer claims pertaining to frequency response, decibals, etc.
Depending on the amp and how you wire the speakers (i would imagine that you would wire the two channel amp with each channel running two speakers in series which will bring the amp down from running at 4 ohms to 2 ohms; also make sure that the amp is 2 ohm stable before wiring it in!!!), it should be a significant gain over the power supplied from the head unit alone. Not knowing what amp you are running and what power it is capable of restricts me from giving you detailed advice on the best way to wire your speakers.
hope this helps.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the amp is bridgable , it is 2 ohm stable . But don't bridge it , just hook the 4 6x8's in parallel and your amp will see a 2 ohm load .The diagram would be for one of the channels , do the same thing for the other channel .

Last edited by 1bad86vmax; 05-28-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by flyboy129
If you are just swapping out the OEM speakers, your new infinity speakers will work, but may not sound good without the amp.
Correct

Originally Posted by flyboy129
Depending on the amp and how you wire the speakers (i would imagine that you would wire the two channel amp with each channel running two speakers in series which will bring the amp down from running at 4 ohms to 2 ohms; also make sure that the amp is 2 ohm stable before wiring it in!!!),
Actually, series wiring would increase the resistance (impedance/ohms), parallel wiring would reduce the resitance (impedance/ohms). Those speakers he has listed are 2ohm speakers. If he would wire them in series (look up diagram) he could get a 4ohm stereo load.

To the original poster, check the specs on your amp or list the model number and I can check things out for you.

Most amps will do 2ohm stereo but some wont. If you want to amp all 4 speakers but dont care about fading front to back, you can series the speakers to present a 4ohm stereo load (2 channel). If it will handle a 2ohm load and you dont care to amp all 4, you can just amp 1 pair and you will maintain the fading capabilty.

I would suggest if your amp will do 2ohm stereo, to just amp the fronts and then power the rears off of headunit power. The 2ohm load will maximize the power of your amp and you will most likely benefit from the increased power up front.

I hope I didnt confuse you at all, if so, you can pm or email me and I will break it down further for you.

Good luck,
Devildog101

Old 05-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the help!

Hey DevilDog101... I sent you an in-depth email of what im trying to do and the specs on the amp. I hope it went through... if not, let me know.

Thanks

Old 05-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by RizzoFX4
Thanks for the help!

Hey DevilDog101... I sent you an in-depth email of what im trying to do and the specs on the amp. I hope it went through... if not, let me know.

Thanks
Hey RizzoFX4,
Yep, I recieved your email. I will sit down and try to answer everything in depth tonight.

Talk to you then,
Devildog101

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Speaker Install Question....