Help me spend my Money!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me spend my Money!

OK, just got an L and not really happy with the sound. My Bimmer has the H/K sound system and to my ears it's perfect and everything I want. Looking to replicate that in my L. What that means to me is:

EXCELLENT mid and highs. I listen to a very wide range of music...anywhere from Bach's cello suites to 50 Cent to Allison Kraus. Don't need huge bass, clean lows are more important to me then ear splitting volume.

Is it possible to do this with the stock head unit and have the install as unobtrusive as possible? If I can avoid a box behind the seats I'd like to. Given my bass requirements, I'd think I could get by with a pair of 8's or even 6.5" woofers in a well sealed enclosure.

What's a reasonable budget here? Could I do it with $1500 - $2000?

Old 01-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off that is plenty of money to get a great sounding system. I would start by getting a set of components in the front doors. Because you have a reg. cab you should just need 1 set of components. I would leave either the stock speakers or throw some other reg. coaxial speakers in the rear. You can leave your in dash head unit in there but it will limit you to what you can adjust. You can get an aftermarket HU for around 100-200 dollars. Also 8's will be plenty in your truck. I actually have 2 image dynamics 8's that im looking to get rid of. Read up on the ID8 V3 subs. I had them in my truck for about 3 months and they sound great. They are in brand new condition. Read up on them on this website; they are very well respected subs for a great price. Or you can get 1 10. You will probably want two diferent amps. One for the components and one for the subs. Unless you just want 1 amp to run it all. I bought a set of components made by Polk Audio for a great price. They are regular 300 bucks and i got them for 169 and they sound far better than the Infinity components that i had before.

Old 01-14-2006, 12:07 PM
I would recommend a good set of 3 way components matched with a good amp. If you spend more effort on the install i.e. sound deadening, sealing up your doors, etc., you can make a set of 3 ways really come to life. And, for some, that might be enough bass. If you can get a set of Focal Utopias 165w3, I'm sure you wont be disappointed. They will take a big chunk of your budget though.

It's gonna be hard to get good bass without a box. BTW, what year is your L? There are other options as well for subs. Although I don't recommend them much, JL Audio have alot of stealth boxes out that many people been very pleased with. They make quality mainstream stuff.

Old 01-14-2006, 12:12 PM
L is an '03. I'll check out the speakers you talked about

Old 01-14-2006, 12:15 PM
You will want a new head unit, a 4-channel amp (more than likely) and a set of components.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ECLIPSE-CD84...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/CADENCE-Z4000-4X...QQcmdZViewItem

then grab a set of jl xr 6.5s and and Image Dynamics IDQ10.

Old 01-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Hey guys,

Well, I don't mind spending the $ on a new head unit but I find that all the aftermarket ones look so damn blingy. I very much prefer the look and fit of the stock head unit. Are there any head units that don't have 8 zillion tiny lit up buttons that look like a friggin slot machine?

Old 01-14-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by apriorius
Hey guys,

Well, I don't mind spending the $ on a new head unit but I find that all the aftermarket ones look so damn blingy. I very much prefer the look and fit of the stock head unit. Are there any head units that don't have 8 zillion tiny lit up buttons that look like a friggin slot machine?
Yep, but it's expensive...
http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/s...&product=MX406

Old 01-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
take a look at the alpine HU either at crutchfield or millionbuy.com. THe alpines are actually pretty nice.

Old 01-14-2006, 03:44 PM
If you want to keep the factory head unit, you might look into the JL Audio Clean Sweep. It is suppose to be an awesome piece. But, like all JL stuff, a bit pricey.

Old 01-14-2006, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by dconder
If you want to keep the factory head unit, you might look into the JL Audio Clean Sweep. It is suppose to be an awesome piece. But, like all JL stuff, a bit pricey.

Very interesting. So, essentially, if I get an amp and sub and new speakers but do not replace the head unit, it will sound kinda crappy, whereas the cleansweep will make it sound good? (Plus it looks like I can plug my Ipod in...)

Old 01-14-2006, 06:06 PM
The 06 alpine head units will be out soon, i would just hold out for one of those, if thats the route you choose. I bought an alpine 9825, because the lights matched the lights in my dash, for a somewhat stock look.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:54 PM
You wont have to replace the head unit necisarily it will still sound good with the factory, but youll need the amps etc.
The clean sweep will make it better but it will still sound great with the factory hu.

Old 01-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Hey guys,

Thank for all the valuable input. Here's what I settled on:

Boston Acoustics SL60 component set for front (really like they way they sounded)
Pioneer replacement 6x8 for back
10" sub in box behind drivers seat (can't remember brand for now)
Directed 4200 Amp (for front speakers and sub - leaving rears on HU channel)
JL Cleansweep + stock HU

What do you guys think? I'm looking to get it all installed next week. In particular I was wondering about leaving the rear speakers attached to the head unit...will that work out volume wise if the components are connected to the amp? Also will that amp be enough to run the components in the front and also run the sub (2 channels bridged for the sub I believe).

EDIT: O forgot also dynamatting the crap outta the rear of the cab to hopefully dampen the sound of the bassini exhaust :-)

Last edited by apriorius; 01-19-2006 at 05:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Help me spend my Money!