Kicker RMB8 Mid Bass speakers

Old 03-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kicker RMB8 Mid Bass speakers

I just ordered a set of these 8" mid bass woofers because I'm sick of distorting the sound from my 5.25 midranges by turning up the bass or trying to punch out higher frequency bass with my subs. I ordered a set of Q-form kick panels to put my Phoenix Gold 5.25 components in and now I want to put these 8" speakers in the factory door locations. I will be covering the doors and panels with B-Quiet sound deadening material but I'm not so sure as to how I'm going to mount these. I was thinking of maybe cutting out a piece of MDF to mount the speaker into then bolting that to the door in front of the stock location. Probably just the magnet and part of the basket would be "penetrating" the stock speaker hole as these have a mounting depth of less than 3 inches. These are free air woofers so I'm not looking for a sealed enclosure. What do you guys think? Any better ideas?

Old 03-01-2005, 11:55 AM
i have two sets of the Orion Shallow Mount 8"Midbass and i am in the process of building fiberglass kickpanels. this is the best way to set these up. anything else is gonna look funky and will take alot of work. if you dont know how to build them...have someone do it for you.... but if you have patience and time read up on it and go for it! i thinks us Nucks are the best at jumping in and going for it!

Old 03-01-2005, 01:32 PM
rugdnit -

Thanks but I'll already have the Q-forms kick panels so that's a no go. I think I might do an AP type of enclosure or just try to seal up the door as much as possible with sound deadener and run them free-air on an MDF baffle.

cgorris (are you still around these parts?) -

You're quite knowledgeable in this type of thing right? In fact you have a pair of Kicker 8's in your front doors if I remember correctly. I won't be going into competition with this system or anything, it's just to please my discriminating ear. Is it worth going throug the trouble of building/tuning an AP enclosure or shoud I just go free-air? The RMB8's are free-air capable apparently.... Thanks.

Old 03-01-2005, 01:50 PM
i don't have kickers, but i have a phoemix gold 9" midbass in each door. as long as you seal up the area right around where the speaker is being mounted, it should sound fine. if you're not competing, its my opinion that fabricating an enclosure for midbass speakers in the doors isnt worth the hassle.

a pic of my door:

Old 03-01-2005, 07:48 PM
if you are not into Fibreglass then by all means go with the doors! The extra time and effort is way worth it in my opinion. sometimes its the journey....not the destination. i suggested the extra work because i have had the Qlogic!

Old 03-02-2005, 03:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Havent heard much of Cgorris lately either. I talked to him about the same thing. To sum up what he said-might as well try it, what have you got to loose. But, if you dont have anything to tune it with, your gonna want to find someone who has a RTA, or hope you have good ears.

Old 03-03-2005, 11:16 AM
octogon-
your PG 9's are sweet. did it take much to get them in the door? how much did those set you back?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kicker RMB8 Mid Bass speakers