Help With System in 04 Heritage Ext. Cab

Old 02-25-2005, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help With System in 04 Heritage Ext. Cab

Okay, here's the deal:

I have an 04 Heritage extended cab w/ the regular CD player system. Sound quality wasn't very good, so I decided to upgrade.

I got a Pioneer DEH-7700P deck in anticipation of their new Ipod adapter, and added XM.

Sound quality is about the same, so it's obviously a speaker problem.

Ordered the Alpine S-Type 5x7 component speakers for the front, and scored a MTX Thunderform box w/ 2 8" subs for the back off Ebay. Only paid $140 for the box w/ subs and they threw in a MTX RoadThunder 202 amplifier that they were using to drive it.

Here's my question: how do I hook all this up? Should I add an amp for the component speakers?

The speakers are rated for 40W RMS, and my deck claims to be 22W RMS. It seems like the amp they threw in with the subs would be perfect to drive the Alpines, because it's 37.5x2 RMS, which would match up well. Would this make that big of a difference?

If so, I would have to buy a mono amp for the subs, which would be more $$, which I really don't want to spend.

How much would you guys pay to have this stuff installed? It seems like a rather complicated set-up to do yourself, and I would like to spend the money to have it done right, so long as the installation is going to make it sound better.

Any advice? Any experience with the Alpine Type-S component speakers?

Thanks!

Old 02-25-2005, 05:07 PM
Hey Duster72, here's what I would do with the above mentioned:

-If the amp came with the sub box, you're probably gonna need it for the subs. That requires running the RCA cords and the amp turn on lead from your Pioneer to your MTX amp (I ran mine along the passenger side door sill). Then run your power wire to the firewall on the drivers side, there's a huge rubber plug in the firewall to run it through. In the engine compartment, there's a large plastic housing the wiring sits in above the engine, there's an empty slot that I was able to run my power wire through, then attach it to a fuse, then to the battery. You can ground your amp to the floor anywhere you want with a self tapping screw. Make sure you scratch away some of the paint to get a good connection to the metal.

-With the components, since you mentioned you're watching your dough, I'd use your Pioneer receiver instead of going with an amp. I installed a Pioneer in my sister-in-laws Ranger splash this way and the speakers really woke up (they were pioneer). Basically, your using your factory speaker wires for all of your door speakers, there shouldn't be any problems doing that. Since you have component speakers, I'm guessing they came with crossovers. Get one of those speaker wire adapters from Best Buy or Crutchfield, and plug it into your crossover, then to your speakers. You might want to upgrade your rear speakers sometime down the line, I know in my rig (same as yours, but an '03) you can definitely hear a difference with them on.

-If you find that the components aren't up to snuff with the Pioneer receiver, you could always add an amp like you mentioned. You didn't spend to much time or money setting up without the amp.

I hope this helps some, I couldn't tell you how much it'd cost for installing all of it, I install all of my own stuff. Also, never heard anything bad about Alpine speakers, I'm just partial to Rockford Fosgate myself. Good luck!

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=5086

Old 02-25-2005, 09:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Heres what I would do-Burn the MTX things

Ok, actually, if I had that stuff to use, I would put the mtx202 amp on the comp speakers, then buy another amp for the subs.
You dont need a mono amp for the subs, you can get a 2 channel and bridge it. Lot cheaper than getting a mono amp. What are those subs rated at for power?

Installation isnt as complicated as it seems. There are tons of sites that show how to do it step by step.

Old 02-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Bartak1
Heres what I would do-Burn the MTX things

Ok, actually, if I had that stuff to use, I would put the mtx202 amp on the comp speakers, then buy another amp for the subs.
You dont need a mono amp for the subs, you can get a 2 channel and bridge it. Lot cheaper than getting a mono amp. What are those subs rated at for power?

Installation isnt as complicated as it seems. There are tons of sites that show how to do it step by step.
Can you point me to some sites with step by step installation tips?

Also, where would you place the tweeters? High on the door panel? On the dash? Bounce them off the windshield?

Thanks for the help guys. BTW, I think I'm going to use the 2 channel for the components and buy the monoblock for the subs. There is only a $10 price difference, so why not. Plus, this way I don't think I'll be dissapointed with the end results.

Old 02-28-2005, 03:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Crutchfield Heres one, scroll down and look on the right, they have stuff about hooking them up, even a video.

BCAE1 Scroll down about 2/3 of the way it will say "Installing an Amplifier"

Thats actually all I can think of right now. I know there are a ton more.

As for the tweets, pretty much play around with the position and see what you like best. I know people have mounted them in the A pillar shooting at the windshield, in the door panel to the rear of the door handle etc and have liked the position. Or maybe down in the kick panels somewhere, so its kind of close to the woofer. Ive seen them mounted on the part of the kick panel that faces the rear of the truck.

So I guess that is a couple ideas for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help With System in 04 Heritage Ext. Cab