front speaker replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front speaker replacement

I just ordered some new speakers and was wondering what kind of project it was to get in there and replace them, in the door I mean. Anything special I need to know before I start?

Old 02-16-2005, 12:50 PM
what year do you have?

The reason I ask is certain years have certain differences. Do you have power windows and locks or manual. Tell me what you got and I'll get you the information you need.

Old 02-16-2005, 02:27 PM
It's a 97 standard cab. manual locks and windows. No cloth or nothing on the doors. Pretty stripped version. I didn't think to include that info in my post, sorry. I ordered the speakers from crutchfield and they are supposed to send installation stuff, but, sometimes that stuff can by kinda vague.

Old 02-16-2005, 03:33 PM
nsweeney:

alright I will try to describe this to you without pictures, but if you need them I will take them to better help

1. the upper plastic portion on your door that extends up off the main panel, pinch it in the middle by the sides (with the door open, I've done dumber things) and pull...with that removed you now have access to bolt one

2. your window crank has a plastic cover on it. with a small flathead screwdriver find the groove on it and gently pry it open...you know have access to bolt two

3. your armrest on the door must also be gently be pried up (find the groove again) and you will have access to bolt 3

remove all three bolts (there could be a fourth behind the door handle depending on if your vehicle was closer to the half model year mark (I'll check). lift your door panel off and now you can see the internal lips that it sits on. little notation here, if your new speakers are lacking the install screws make certain you get the correct ones to replace it; companies frequently forget them and some small places will sell you drywall screws to install your speakers.

Old 02-16-2005, 03:37 PM
whoops...forgot to verify

I'm assuming you are replacing them with the stock size. If so all you will have to is splice the wire for the harness and plug it into your new ones, re-install and put everything back. If you went with a different size (other than 5x7 or 6x8) let me know and I will draw you out what you need.

And when all is said and done, if you feel that this was beyond you or just beneath you (doubtful, it's easy after you get the panel off) than don't even consider doing the rear speakers yourself because those plastic screws are a tremendous p.i.t.a.

Good luck to you and hit me back if you have any more questions.

Old 02-16-2005, 04:49 PM
Thanks man. I won't try this until Friday, so, I'll let you know how it goes. I've done this in the past on other cars and there always seemed to be one thing or another that was a pain. Looks like it should be pretty straight forward. Thanks again. Later.

Old 02-21-2005, 12:11 AM
Thanks Texas_Fordlover. I put in my speakers yesterday and thanks to your pointers, it was pretty easy. First door took about 15 minutes and the second only took about 5. Also installed a new head unit. That was also pretty easy with the wiring harnessess and installation kit. Spent more time hunting for tools. Thanks again man.

Old 02-21-2005, 08:43 PM
just glad I could help

Now, when are you going to redo those now sloppy (comparatively speaking) rear speakers to match your new beauties.

You earned it, now crank it

Old 02-22-2005, 12:32 AM
actually, i talked to a guy today, and i think i'll put in a single 10" woofer and amp. not looking to bother anybody. but, yea, those back speakers are crap. i don't even think upgrading would help all that much. they just blast straight into the seat. the guy suggested adio bahn (spelling) sub and amp. price was alright.

Old 02-22-2005, 02:19 AM
hey sween

Glad to see you having so much fun with the audio.

Just wanted to give you the info on audiobahn :-)

They make a damn good woofer but the AW1051SE is not their best outing. The AW1000Q however is completely worth the money if your system setup and amplifier req. are met.

If you don't mind, find out what series the sub is, what amp he wants to go with and what kind of box set-up did he suggest.
I don't want to see you end up with the lower quality models because of someone meeting the bottom line in sales.

Good luck

Old 02-22-2005, 03:26 AM
additional

DO NOT under any circumstances let this person convince you to run an audiobahn at full RMS. The company has a bad "tendancy" to overstate their capabilities to get people who don't like the bling aesthetics to purchase anyways. Run it at two/thirds to three/quarter MAX. Other than that, you will probably end up with a very good experience; they are good subs it's just people (salesmen mainly) try to convince people their the best and they are not.

Old 02-24-2005, 02:06 AM
I'll take all that into account texas_fordlover. Currently I'm deciding on the sub or a new air intake. I'll let you know before I get a sub. I'm sure I'll hit you with a few questions. It may be a couple of weeks, as I am having to blow all my money on electricity, phone, tv, internet and all that crap. Thanks for all the help. later.

Quick Reply: front speaker replacement