Rear speakers for supercrew

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 02:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear speakers for supercrew

I am getting ready to bite the bullet and replace the head-unit in my supercrew, as the lights have quit working in it. I figured why not change the speakers at the same time. While looking on the Crutchfield web site, the speaker selection for the rear doors is entirely different than that for the front doors. My question is...will the same speakers fit in the rear that fit in the front?

I am looking at some Pioneer or Kenwood 3-ways.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Regards,
Kevin

Old 02-12-2005, 03:52 PM
I thought they were both 6x8/5x7's at each corner, not sure on your model. I just replaced the HU with a Kenwood from Crutchfield- much better! I had replaced the factory speakers with Pioneer 6x8's last summer and I think they are decent enough. I run these with a 40wx4 amp and the speakers like the power. However, if I were to do it again I would definately do components in the fronts as I find the highs not as bright as I wished. Unlike some other folks I thinks the rears are worth replacing as they do improve the staging, and provide additional "torque" on the low end if amplified. Any major brand you've heard of will be adequate in the rear, howerever you'll want to audition the fronts before you buy. The Infinity Kappa's are very popular with this forum and MB Quart's are never a mistake if you have the jack.

Old 02-13-2005, 02:55 AM
Kloost,
Thanks for the info! Everything I have seen indicates 6X8 all around. I was just wondering why the reccomendation for the rears are different. I thought there might be a slight space constraint, either height or depth. I haven't torn off the door panel to check.

I actually don't have a problem with the stock speakers. They sound ok for cheapies. Besides, my kids won't let me crank it up, so I rarely get to listen to Stevie Ray Vaughn at ear bleeding levels!Although my nine year old son has discovered AC/DC so maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Regards!

Old 02-14-2005, 10:55 AM
The problem is depth. The rear doors have plastic pods that the speakers mount in which limits the depth of your choices. Crutchfield errs on the side of caution so they do not get a lot of speakers returned.

Quick Reply: Rear speakers for supercrew