Ported or Sealed

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 07:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ported or Sealed

I'm needing to get a sub-box for my 2005 F-150 Supercab and trying to decide what to do.

1. Make my own sealed box for single 10"

2. QLogic box with single 10"

3. New JL Audio Stealthbox. They are ported for the 2005 box.

Which would sound better, ported or sealed?

Is it worth the money to go ahead and get the JL Audio Stealthbox? $550 is a lot, but they look good.

If you had to spend the money, which would you do?

Old 01-27-2005, 12:39 PM
If it were me, I'd build a ported box.
Not sure how much experience you have with that though. Its not too hard... just have to read up on how to build 'em correctly.

What sub are you planning to run?

Old 01-27-2005, 01:38 PM
Not sure exactly what sub to use. I was hoping to find something decent under the $150 range. Especially if I were to build my own box. I know that mounting depth is an issue.

I've considered Probox. I believe they are ported. Their mounting depth is around 5.75 or less.

What do you think? Know of anyone that has built a ported box ?

Old 01-27-2005, 03:52 PM
A ported box needs to be built to very specific parameters for the sub and vehicle being used. Check this out. It gives an idea of how complex it can be.

http://www.caraudiomag.com/technical/0203cae_box2/

Old 01-29-2005, 05:44 PM
ported would sound better with less power if you don't to buil a box i would get the jl stelth box i am no longer a big fan of jl audio but the stelth boxes sound good they are designed for each vehicle's shape and internal air space subs are perfectly matched to box they are just pricey i have used jl untill i replaced them with memphis the power reference is the entry level sub i got mine from a dealer for $70 and they can compete with the w3's easy

Old 01-30-2005, 11:07 AM
Check out my gallery. I've got an '04 XLT and I built a pair or ported boxes for my 10" Kickers. They are small but I wanted to find out if they would thump. I'm working on a cleaner design.

My Gallery *UPDATED*

I feel ported works much better when space is an issue.

Old 01-30-2005, 11:21 AM
Tbird69,

Did you follow some type of instruction to build your boxes or just wing it? Did you build them to match the speaker requirements?

Are they pretty accurate?

Old 01-30-2005, 01:16 PM
tbird69 did you try those boxes sealed kicker require rather large boxes for ported remember you can't just throw a box togeather and put a tube in it im not downing your install just tryn to help when i was checn into kicker the smallest ported box recomender for any of their 10's was 1.15-1.5 thats a big box when it comes to pickups those look to be about .70-.75 then figure in speaker displacement then it is less you could move your amp to one side build a larger box ported for one of those 10's and have tons more bass than the two the way they are now trust me when it comes to subs its all about the box a single 10 in a proper size ported would whomp all over 2 12's in a wrong box

Last edited by spacemonkey; 01-30-2005 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:53 PM
Ported does not work better when space is an issue. Quite the opposite is true.

Old 01-30-2005, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Greeny
Tbird69,

Did you follow some type of instruction to build your boxes or just wing it? Did you build them to match the speaker requirements?

Are they pretty accurate?
I just winged it on the design based on the space I had to work with.

spacemonkey, I tried them sealed first and got barely anything out of them. Once I made the holes they pound much better. I know they should have a bigger enclosure but they sound good to me. They are just a prototype that I wanted to try. I'm working on a better design for my new subs. I have a new amp that I will probably put behind the seat, or in the enclosure with an access panel to make adjustments.

The new box will most likely run the length of the seat.

Old 02-01-2005, 02:41 PM
sealed takes alot more power so there was more output after you ported it just imagine if that box were proper size prob rattle your teeth loose lol. anyway if they sound good to you that is what matters. you installed a stereo for your enjoyment everyone has their own taste on sound what sounds good to me may not to you and vise versa

Old 02-03-2005, 05:56 PM
A ported box is for volume. A sealed box is for clairty. If you're looking for those hard hitting thumps, maybe in rap music or techno, a ported box is the way to go. A sealed box is for clarity, meaing intruments like the kick drum, do a real quick thud. A sealed box makes the noise start and stop faster, sacrificng volume, where as a ported box has it resonate more, adding volume. I listen to punk and rock, so I use sealed. But it's all in opinion

Quick Reply: Ported or Sealed