2 10" subs and 1 12" sub

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2 10" subs and 1 12" sub

I was wondering what that would sound like in a single cab F150. At the moment I have a 300WATT Kenwood pushing a 10" Fosgate Punch, and I am using the stock speakers in the doors and rear panels. It sounds great. Everything is perfectly balanced mids, lows, highs, etc.

I know 2 10's and a 12 is alot of speaker, but would I get distortion? I want to be heard from blocks away when the windows are rolled up. I want a CONCERT BABY.

Am I going in the wrong direction?

Old 01-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Though I have NO first hand experience, I've always heard and been told that the mixing of sizes is not a great thing.

Old 01-21-2005, 11:45 PM
One of the problems with mixing subs is trying to match crossover points. You want your subs to blind perfect with you midbass and with 2 diff. size subs, you will have to try and blind both with you midbass. Both size subs will preform better at diff. fz. because of their size and make, and also with the way they react to the trucks interoir and box they are in, thus making it hard to not only blind together but as I mentioned blind with the other sound stage speakers.

Hope this makes sense, I know what I'm trying to say, sometimes it's hard to get across.

One of the problems with mixing subs is trying to match crossover points. You want your subs to blind perfect with you midbass and with 2 diff. size subs, you will have to try and blind both with you midbass. Both size subs will preform better at diff. fz. because of their size and make, and also with the way they react to the trucks interoir and box they are in, thus making it hard to not only blind together but as I mentioned blind with the other sound stage speakers.

Hope this makes sense, I know what I'm trying to say, sometimes it's hard to get across.

Old 01-21-2005, 11:46 PM

Old 01-22-2005, 12:16 AM
Sorry about that. Connection acting up.

Old 01-23-2005, 08:41 PM
dont do it...it will most likely sound like ****...

and where would you put all those? dont put your 12's behind your seat, they wont be able to draw enough air to be at full potential...if you would, and this is where im going to put mine, is put it on the floor in the middle of the cab...im going to just cover my box in the vynl floor matting that is used on the floor...try and blend it a little...and im also going to make it a table..

pick either/or....the 10's or the 12's

and my friend has 2 18's in his bronco...and they sound like absolute ****...im sure if the metal of the truck didnt shake so much, it would sound great....but when you can hear your metal moving, more than the bass...its just annoying, and not to mention a pain in the *** to your neighbors..

EDIT-dupius, how do those RE's sound? i was thinking putting 4 behind the seat, but leaning towards a 12 on the floor

Last edited by mytruckisbetter; 01-23-2005 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:10 AM
Dupuis,

How do you like the Kappas? I thinking of putting some in my 98 Flareside. Looking for something that really kicks. I am going to put in a Phoenix Gold Octane R8.0:4 amp. , with either kicker CVR or fosgate punch stage 2 10"s(both subs are dual voice coil setup available in 2 or 4 ohm impedence), and then some new speakers for the rear, eventually upgrading the fronts and getting a seperate amp for the sub only.

The reason i asked about the kappas, they are about the only speaks rated at that wattage, for a decent price. I have heard alot of people speak well of them. Wondering what your take is?

p.s. amp is rated 75 watts rms x4 (4ohm) The way I want to run it is 75 x2 (4ohm) + 200watts x1 (4 ohm after proper wiring of subs).

Last edited by Scotty08; 01-24-2005 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by mytruckisbetter
dont do it...it will most likely sound like ****...

and where would you put all those? dont put your 12's behind your seat, they wont be able to draw enough air to be at full potential...if you would, and this is where im going to put mine, is put it on the floor in the middle of the cab...im going to just cover my box in the vynl floor matting that is used on the floor...try and blend it a little...and im also going to make it a table..

pick either/or....the 10's or the 12's

and my friend has 2 18's in his bronco...and they sound like absolute ****...im sure if the metal of the truck didnt shake so much, it would sound great....but when you can hear your metal moving, more than the bass...its just annoying, and not to mention a pain in the *** to your neighbors..

EDIT-dupius, how do those RE's sound? i was thinking putting 4 behind the seat, but leaning towards a 12 on the floor

I really like them. Depending on what 12'' you go with and the type install you put, 4 re8' could have more output. With 12mm of exc. these things more a lot of air.

Old 01-24-2005, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Scotty08
Dupuis,

How do you like the Kappas? I thinking of putting some in my 98 Flareside. Looking for something that really kicks. I am going to put in a Phoenix Gold Octane R8.0:4 amp. , with either kicker CVR or fosgate punch stage 2 10"s(both subs are dual voice coil setup available in 2 or 4 ohm impedence), and then some new speakers for the rear, eventually upgrading the fronts and getting a seperate amp for the sub only.

The reason i asked about the kappas, they are about the only speaks rated at that wattage, for a decent price. I have heard alot of people speak well of them. Wondering what your take is?

p.s. amp is rated 75 watts rms x4 (4ohm) The way I want to run it is 75 x2 (4ohm) + 200watts x1 (4 ohm after proper wiring of subs).
I like them, but I am a Kappa guy from back in the 80s. Some people find the tweeters a little hash, but I don't. I really suggest you go to your local shop or big retailer and hear them for yourself. 75 watts is plenty, I only have 50 watts to mine.
I would also suggest that you upgrade your front speakers before your rears. The front is where you are, thus where you want the best sound stage to be.

Old 01-25-2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Dupuis
I really like them. Depending on what 12'' you go with and the type install you put, 4 re8' could have more output. With 12mm of exc. these things more a lot of air.

shiva mark IV is the 12 i would put in my truck...i really havent thought about amp yet, most likely some cheap amp, depending on how much money i have when it comes time

Old 01-25-2005, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by mytruckisbetter
shiva mark IV is the 12 i would put in my truck...i really havent thought about amp yet, most likely some cheap amp, depending on how much money i have when it comes time
That is a nice sub. If thats the route you go, make sure you power it up enough. Profile makes good budget amps and get pictures up once installed.

Old 01-27-2005, 10:41 PM
khh
I dont think its a great plan to mix the sizes of subs, tens are punchier then a 12 soo it might sound whack.. like someone else said in a reply.. crossovers will be hard to match

Quick Reply: 2 10" subs and 1 12" sub