Door Speakers or HU???

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Door Speakers or HU???

HELP!

When it comes to stereos I know very little but I want to learn. I need to know if I should get a head unit first which I'll have to save or if I should buy 4 Alpine Type Rs to replace the door speakers since I have $200 to spend on my stereo.

If I got the Alpine Type Rs I'd get a new HU but would I even see the performance from them or should I just get a HU and see more performance from the stock speakers?

and if I should get the HU what HU would someone recommend? I want it to be CD/MP3 though and since our trucks use a 1.5 din does anyone make a spacer for it?

Please help!

Old 01-19-2005, 03:28 PM
If it were me, I would buy the head unit first. Something with some preouts on the back... If alpine is what you want, I don't think you will be disappointed with any of them. Just make sure it has the features that you want on it (mp3).

Others went the other route, and replaced their speakers first. It's really a "chicken and egg" sort of topic. You really need both, in my opinion. Others will disagree.

Don't worry so much about replacing your rear 6X8's. They are fill speakers and you could best spend your money on an amplifier to go with your new front speakers and HU. The amplifier will really wake up those new front speakers. It will be night and day compared to running them off of the stock or even the aftermarket HU.

Old 01-22-2005, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by war6ucks
If it were me, I would buy the head unit first. Something with some preouts on the back... If alpine is what you want, I don't think you will be disappointed with any of them. Just make sure it has the features that you want on it (mp3).

Others went the other route, and replaced their speakers first. It's really a "chicken and egg" sort of topic. You really need both, in my opinion. Others will disagree.

Don't worry so much about replacing your rear 6X8's. They are fill speakers and you could best spend your money on an amplifier to go with your new front speakers and HU. The amplifier will really wake up those new front speakers. It will be night and day compared to running them off of the stock or even the aftermarket HU.

What is filled speakers?

Quick Reply: Door Speakers or HU???