CDT Speakers

Old 12-03-2004, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDT Speakers

I'm looking into upgrading my JBL components in the doors. I'm leaning towards the CDT series. Has anyone had any experience with these and if so is it definitely worth the money for the HD series over the CL series? I love country and rock and never listen to rap or hip hop, if this matters. I have a pair of subs that take care of the low's and I'm looking at CL-51@$230 or HD-52 @ $360. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-04-2004, 02:44 PM
The CDT's are some great sounding comps. I personally feel that the price difference is justified since the HD's come with a much better crossover. If you enjoy listening to extremely accurate and detailed speakers than you will enjoy the HD's that much more. Some other great sounding components are Beyma, DSL, MB Quart, Infinity, Focal, Rainbow and Diamond to name a few. This isn't saying that these are the only ones that sound great because there are so many out there that do. I am simply giving you additional options to the CDT's to broaden your horizon a bit. Each different comp set has it's own unique sound. Some tend to be a little bright some more refined and subdued. In the long run get what sounds best to your ears and best fits the music that you listen to. From what you have said the CDT HD's would be a nice match.

Old 12-06-2004, 12:49 PM
OK we've opened a can of worms..lol...but I'm thankful.
Now I have a number of speakers I'm interested in but have no idea on how to listen to them to determine the differences.
My list is:
CDT HD-52 $360
CDT CL-51 $260
MB Quarts PCE-213 275-300
Infinity Kappa Perfect 5.1 245-300
Diamond Hex s500s 300 silk tweeter $300

I've yet to check ebay for prices but I live in Brockton Massachusettes and does anyone know where I can listen to any of these models. I think the MB's i can here at Tweeter but I dunno about the rest???

This is kinda dumb but can anyone rule out any of these from experience. I'm looking for warmer highs...kinda contradictory but I don't want a "tinny" high. If you have experience with these and can rule out 1 or 2 I'd appreciate it. Thanks for humoring me

Old 12-06-2004, 12:59 PM
You don't think you can get the MB Quart 213PCE @ ~$300.00. At Tweeter they'll run you closer to $500.00. The 268RCE already cost me 300.00 and are only from the Reference line, not Premium. They are a perfect fit @ 6x8 though.

Try Ebay, lots of MB Quart deals there but no 3year warranty.

Old 12-06-2004, 02:20 PM
Thanx for the info...I'll be buying online which obviously limits my ability to hear individual products. I know Tweeter sells MB that's why I can go and demo them there . I can't remember this site right now, but I found the PCE213 for approx. $300 give or take a few $

Old 12-06-2004, 03:55 PM
Those CDT prices could use some help...or a lot of it.

I would recommend a 6.5" set. Much improved midbass and typically better performance at volumes with increased power handling. You might also consider the CDT EF line. They are very good speakers and are easier to install. A little bird told me you can find them on ebay.

I can do much better than those CDT prices listed in your post as well.

Old 12-07-2004, 01:10 PM
Ok, thanks for the info and support. Looks like CDT is the way to go. I've researched various forums and reviews and can't find an unkind word about them. The reason I'm going with the CL-51's is the price, they don't require as much power, and I already have the adapters and such from the existing 5 1/4" JBL Comps. I'm running a 75Wx4 RMS and leaving the JBL's in the rear doors. I have 2 8" RF subs @150W RMS ea., sealed boxes, and they have a great tight solid bass. I'm setting the Xover at 80Hz so I don't need the low end of the 6 1/2"s. I found a set of CL-51's on Ebay for 180. Unless Deus can get me HD-52's for a comparable price, but then it's time to go Amp shopping again too...oh god this can be a PITA. Well I could bridge my 4 to 2 and run the rears on the deck...and then...and then...and then...I have to put in an alarm starter keyless entry this weekend too...damn it's getting cold.....I'm gonna end up blowing up the truck

Ok I lied....HD-52's....thanx for the advice guys....

Last edited by drteater; 12-08-2004 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:09 AM
From what you are wanting from the tweets (warm sound). I would suggest that you shy away from the MB Quart low to mid levels because they tend to be a little harsh to sensitive ears. On the upside, the MB's in the upper levels don't have that same brightness that the lower lines do because they use a much better crossover. So that may halp you limit your choices by one at least. I personally would go Diamond or CDT over the Infinity more as personal preference than anything else so that could knock out one more. Next we get into price and what fits your budget and it appears that the CDT will be the best bang for the buck. Then again they are not my ears and it is not my wallet so it is ultimately a decision that needs to make you happy in the end. So just be sure it is your choice and not someone else swaying your decision.

Old 12-23-2004, 12:10 PM
I run the HD 62's in kick panels and love them! The x-overs rock and the highs IMO are very soft but present. I added the image enhacement tweets with attentuator along with time correction via a alpine HU and the stage is perfect. I'll never go any other way. Last year I got my 62's for around $250 from someone around here and got the image tweets from the zeb for around $40. I bought an extra set just in case anything goes wrong. There the same tweets that come with the 62 set.

I'm running a hifonics 7500 on em at 250 a side. Very clean sound is the first comment out of most folks mouths.

Old 12-25-2004, 11:13 PM
Send djdilliodon a message on AIM, he got me a set of HD-62z's and some CL-6x speakers for around 350. Don't regret it and i love the way they sound

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CDT Speakers