Speakers driving me nuts.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speakers driving me nuts.

I installed a little jvc cd player (amfm thingus), in my 97. A little too crazy, and popped the right front speaker. (original/stock). Everything sounded GREAT up until that episode. Thought I"d get 'special', and upgrade the speaker system. Bought some Pioneer TS-A6870R 3 way 6x8s. They sound like crap. Buzzing at (when loud is on), and most low levels. Thought maybe popped the cd player/head unit, so replaced IT with a pioneer deh 1600 unit. SAme/same. Thought maybe first set of speakers were defective, so got another pair. SAme thing. It's driving me nutso.
Hate the design of the newer speakers with the outer/woofers having a hole in the middle, and the midrange/tweeter protruding from its innards. Seems like noise ready to happen.
In either case, if anyone's got any insight/thoughts , they're much appreciated.
At this point I"m ready to get adapters to go from the 6x8 down to the 6.5", and put some basic ROUND speakers in the front.
(that or go junkyard shopping and find some old originals again)................

Old 11-06-2004, 12:51 PM
sounds like you may have speaker out of phase make sure you have positive and negative going to the correct terminals on the new speakers

Old 11-06-2004, 01:01 PM
Well, it's official. I'm an idiot.
It wasn't the speakers after all, (well, other than the original blowing up of the first set).
The new speakers have so MUCH bottom end, (compared to the stock/oems), that it's literally rattling/setting up resonance inside the door, sounding it out thru the windows AND the speakers themselves.
I have installed dynamat (speakers kits), and got some baffling/pocket dealies from MCM electronics (basically a basket that goes behind the speakers), and it sounds great now.

Live and learn......................doh'. :o

Old 11-08-2004, 05:21 PM
I'm glad you found the problem. It'd be unfortunate if you had such a poor taste inyour mouth for aftermarket stereo equipment.

Quick Reply: Speakers driving me nuts.