speaker swap question - ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speaker swap question - ?

I have a 2004 Fx4 with the 6-cd changer Head unit but not the audiophile. I have two questions...

1. Can the audiphile sub and amp be added underneath the rear seat with the 6-cd changer HU that I have or are they different?

2. Does changing the door speakers in the front and back for an aftermarket make a big sound difference? Even with the stock set up?

If I do change the speakers in the front and back doors should I get all of them with tweeter mounts. I believe they are 6X8, correct?

Newbie questions, I know. I know.

Old 10-29-2004, 10:19 AM
I don't know about the audiophile amp and sub (I assume those are Ford products) but I'd assume for the $$ you'll spend on those you could get some pretty decent aftermarket equip.

You can find replace speakers that will fit the factory opening with little or no mods. What to get depends on whether or not you connect them to an amp.

I'd start by deciding how much you want to spend and what your listening needs are (competition or talk radio). Throw those details into your post and you'll get more advise than you care to have

Old 10-29-2004, 11:43 AM
Then I guess I will re-phrase my question.

Can you connect the factory head unit to an amp, get aftermarket door speakers and get a sub and sub box for under the rear seat and make it all work clean?

Has anyone done that? I have the non-Audiophile 6-CD changer which I understand has 2 connectors instead 3 on the Audiophile head unit?!?!?!?!?

Old 10-31-2004, 04:07 PM
Yes you can. Thats what I have using low line convertors.

Old 11-01-2004, 09:15 AM
Dupuis, I visited your gallaery and saw your set up. Are you saying you can add the subs and amps with the factory head unit? You have an aftermarket head unit.

Old 11-01-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by silver-gt-vert
Dupuis, I visited your gallaery and saw your set up. Are you saying you can add the subs and amps with the factory head unit? You have an aftermarket head unit.
Yes, that is what I'm saying. I have the factory stock head unit not an aftermarket unit.

Old 11-01-2004, 12:21 PM
ok I see. That other unit is an XM receiver. Cool! Did your head unit have the "plug" underneath the back seat. I hear that some head units have the plug underneath the back seat (even if you dont have the audiophile) where you can plug in an amp and the sub.

Old 11-01-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by silver-gt-vert
ok I see. That other unit is an XM receiver. Cool! Did your head unit have the "plug" underneath the back seat. I hear that some head units have the plug underneath the back seat (even if you dont have the audiophile) where you can plug in an amp and the sub.
No, there is no plug back there. There is alot more to it than just pluging in a amp and a sub.
You will have to tap into the stock speaker wires with low line converters, if you are changing all 4 door speakers and adding an amp for them, you will need two 2 channel LLCs which will give you the 4 channels you will need. Than run RCAs from those to your 4 channel amp, than run new speaker wires from your amp to each door speaker. For the sub you will take one of those door speaker RCAs and put a RCA splitter on it before it gets pluged into your 4 channel amp. Hook one to your 4 channel amp just like you would do without the splitter and hook the other one to your sub amp. You will use the crossover on your sub amp to set your subs fz. crossover point.
Hope this helps.

Old 11-01-2004, 02:33 PM
is it possible to incorporate 4 door aftermarket speakers (for the 4 doors), the subs and tweeters all into one amp?

Old 11-01-2004, 03:44 PM
They do make 5 channel amps just for that reason.

Quick Reply: speaker swap question - ?