Replacing Factory 6x8's

Old 10-25-2004, 04:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replacing Factory 6x8's

I apparently blew out one of my stock door speakers on the passenger side a few weeks ago. (Since then I've been noticing a distinct vibrating noise from that speaker.) Began looking for replacement speakers, and have had a hard time deciding which brand and type to go with. I assume 6x8 is better then 5 1/4". I have a vaige understanding of the difference between 2, 3, and 4 way speakers. Can someone that knows a little more about car speakers point me in the right direction on what to get? I have an aftermarket CD player (Panasonic) with a small built-in amp (don't know the exact specifications, but can check if necessary.) I don't want to get too elaborate and spend too much money (somewhere around $100 a set - $200 total would be a good target point, which seems to throw out any of the componet speakers that everyone seems to speak so highly of.) Any ideas on what I should go with or stay away from? I listen to just about everything except for classic and rap. I can't emagine ever adding a box, as I don't care to go around 'bumping.' Perhaps, at somepoint I would consider adding a (relatively) small amp just to amplify the four stock speakers, but that would be later down the road. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by STX/98; 10-25-2004 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If all your doing is replacing stock, any one of the major brand 6x8s will be a big upgrade in sound and you won't have to do any mods to get them in. Stay with the 2 ways. An average 2 way is better than most 3 and 4 ways. No need to crossover the sound that many times. With most brands it's just a sales gimmick in car audio speakers. Just watch out for some of the higher end speakers of any brand. They will need more power than you have to get them going and thus not sound as good as a mid grade that does not need as much power.
Good luck.

Old 10-25-2004, 11:06 PM
Agreed... I got a two sets of Pioneer TS-G6840R 2-way 6x8's... Cost me about $55/pair from Best Buy... they sound awesome compared to the factory set up and I bet even a seasoned audio person couldn't tell the difference between them and a 3-way or 4-way.

Old 10-26-2004, 11:09 AM
Are there any particular brands I should look at or stay away from? Infinity seems to be spoken well of on this forum.... I thought I had read somewhere yesterday some negative comments regarding Pioneer speakers... It seems like just about every brand has something in my price range from Sony to Kenwood, to JBL, etc.

Old 10-26-2004, 01:47 PM
STX -

Do yourself a favor ... go to www.mbquart.com and follow the 'Car Audio' link and select 'Support' to the link lableled 'Vehicle Guide'. It will tell you which MB Quart speakers will fit your vehicle.

I replace the factory speakers in my Expedition but didn't want to get carried away. I just wanted a good replacement coax and previously had good luck with MB's higher end stuff. I bought a pair of the MB Discus line for $89 online. They kicked new life into anotherwise tired old sound system. If you want to go higher end look at their Premium series.

I used MB in 4 different vehicles over the last 11 years. You can't beat 'em. Never blown, never outperformed.

Old 10-26-2004, 03:22 PM
Looks like I can get the MB Quart Discus Series DKD 157's for about $79 a pair from onlinecarstereo.com. How do these compare to the Infinity Kappa's that everyone speaks so highly of? Would either sound alright with just the amp that is in the head unit, or are these speakers that would need an amp to sound right? Also, anyone had any expierence with this onlinecarstereo.com?

Old 10-26-2004, 04:30 PM
STX -

I don't have any first hand experience with the Infiniti's but have read on other stereo forums that some think they are overated.

onlinecarstereo.com is actually where I bought my MB's. They had they best price that I found. No complaints related to ordering, shipping, etc.

Old 10-26-2004, 04:45 PM
I like MB Quarts also, it really is a matter of what sounds good to you. Sounds like those Quarts are a good deal. I don't think you could go wrong with either with what you are doing. If your still not sure, go to your local shops ask to here what ever brands they carry. I'm sure you will find one to your liking.

Old 10-27-2004, 04:37 PM
Are the MB Quarts / Infinity going to sound alright without an added amp? Thanks for all your help guys.... I will post back here in a week or two when I get them installed. BTW, is the installation very hard? Does the door panel come off relatively easy?

Old 10-27-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by STX/98
Are the MB Quarts / Infinity going to sound alright without an added amp? Thanks for all your help guys.... I will post back here in a week or two when I get them installed. BTW, is the installation very hard? Does the door panel come off relatively easy?

If the models you are looking at don't require to much power. Now they would sound alot better with an amp.

Should not be hard to just replace the stock ones. Not sure about 03 and below model door panels.
I'm sure someone else here can help with that.

Old 10-27-2004, 05:23 PM
Here's a perfect link with great pictures. Once you do one the second will come off in 5 minutes!

http://www.modernengineuity.com/tech...r_install.html

Old 10-28-2004, 11:09 AM
Great link...... Thank you all very much for all of your help!

Old 10-28-2004, 06:41 PM
STX/98, I would only add that you would be wise to steer clear of 3-ways and especially 4-ways. Some low priced versions of these are among the poorest speakers available. Remember that when you get advice it's relative. Relative to what the listener has experienced or is used to hearing. A decent 2-way design with a proper crossover network(especially components) and a suitable subwoofer system is more than adequate for all but fanatical listeners. I would even suggest skipping the rear speakers and spending an extra amount on a nice components set. Rear speakers are a gimmick. They take away from the imaging and soundstage capabilities of the system by muddling up the sound.

And no, 6x8s are not necessarily better than 5 1/4s. They can be, and if they are, it will be because it is simply a better speaker, quality wise.

And, I would definitely recommend a subwoofer at some point. Your sound will never be "complete" without it. It's not about "bumping". It's because subs are necessary to reproduce the sound frequency to it's best. Subs are not just for rap or someone who wants to show off. Your main speakers simply are not CAPABLE of reproducing the full range of frequencies.

Old 10-29-2004, 10:27 AM
i read somewhere in these forums that its not even worth replacing that rear speakers of an extended cab truck. I think those are the 6x9's? The post said to only replace the front door speakers with high quality speakers that give out an awsome sound. Do you guys in here back that up? I dont have tons of money because i need to buy a new amp for my two 8 inch subs because the amp had distortion - would it be best to replace the front door speakers instead of the rear, and replace them with a kenwood speaker? everything in my truck is kenwood, i'm just thinkin of keeping the system all one brand.
ANy suggestions or advice? THANKS!!

Old 10-30-2004, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the advise 97f250..... I should have added that I have a Regular cab... I (so far) had not paid attention to the componet speakers as they have all started out (from what I have seen) at around $150 and gone up well into the $400's from there.... What does it cost to get a decent set of componet speakers? Any suggestions brand-wise there? Are the low-end componet speakers going to sound as good or better as the MB Quart's coaxial speakers? I could get a set of componet speakers for the doors for about the same price as I could get a set of MB Quart coaxial speakers both front and back. Which would sound better? Also, is an amp a necessity for componet speakers? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by STX/98; 10-30-2004 at 03:20 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing Factory 6x8's