2-10" JL W7's in Lightning???

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2-10" JL W7's in Lightning???

I am going to have a custom enclosure made for my '00 Lightning, and was wondering if I can fit two 10W7's behind my seat without having to drastically decrease my leg room.

The problem with the W7's is that they have an 8" Mounting Depth. The dimensions that I drew up in Pro/E were 48.25" Long X 11.25" Bottom Depth/8" Top Depth X 17" Tall. This will give me exactly the 1.25cu.ft. volume that JL requires for each sub.

I just don't know how much room this is going to take-up behind the seat(AKA how far I am going to have to move my seat forward)?

Thanks Guys!
Bake

Old 10-19-2004, 06:24 PM
You can fit two W7's behind that seat, but if you make the box out of all MDF I don't think you'll be able to maximize your space. First there is the width measurement 48". If I remember correctly the space between the plastic panels is 40". The plastic panels curve slightly so you'll be losing some space if you use MDF. The height from the ledge to the first contoured surface is 12.5" or 13". You'll lose some space there. As far as the depth goes, I'd cut out a piece of cardboard to that dimension to see if you can deal with the loss of legroom. I would look at building a fiberglass box to maximize your airspace requirements.
Here is a link to the one I built.

http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.c...sub_box_begins

I'm thinking of upgrading my subs to W6's and building another box, just have to save up some money.

Old 10-20-2004, 09:33 AM
Thanks!! Nice enclosure, if you want to sell that just let me know! I guess I'll have to do some research on glassing, I've got all winter now here in Indiana

Bake

Old 10-20-2004, 05:13 PM
Winter would be a good time to do fiberglass as long as you have a garage to do it in. Hot and humid summer weather causes resin to harden very quickly.
If I upgrade I'll let you know.

Quick Reply: 2-10" JL W7's in Lightning???