Don't want the 'thump...Read On

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't want the 'thump...Read On

I'm currently in the process of helping a friend design a new system for his '03 SCrew. The headunit (Alpine), amp (Viper 6 channel) and four door mounted speakers (JL Audio XR's) are a done deal. The final problem left to solve is bass delivery. Unlike me, my friend doesn't like real strong bass, and is trying to avoid putting a sub in his truck. He also doesn't want to give up any of the usual space that a sub box would eat up. So here's my questions.

1 - Could he get the tight/softer bass he's looking for by installing a pair of mid-bass drivers instead of a sub? If so, what brand would you recommend we look at?
2 - Would 50 to 75 watts per channel feed those mid-bass drivers adequately to make them perform well?

I've never done an install of mid-bass drivers, so I'm not sure just what they'd deliver.

Anybody got any experience / feedback they'd like to share?

-Mike-

Old 09-16-2004, 02:24 AM
Get a RE8" It will perform better then a midbass driver. It wont have a crazy amount of thump but it will be noticed. It wont need a huge box big mounting depth or anything like that. They are built like a tank and sound great with 175 watts. And the best part about them as they have a good price tag of about 50 bucks brand new.

Thats what I would reccomend,
Jello

Old 09-16-2004, 11:31 AM
Jello's right. A midbass driver is designed just for that, midbass. If you send low bass tone to it, it won't last very long and properly won't sound any diff. than you door speakers that will be installed.
I also say go with the 1 RE8 sealed in a .217 sealed box. That's a very small box, it won't take up much room and it will give him enough bass to go along with the rest of his install.

Quick Reply: Don't want the 'thump...Read On