Southeast AL, FL, GA, NC, SC, TN

Getting Past FL Title Tax

Old 08-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting Past FL Title Tax

Hi guys,
I was wondering if any of you knew how to transfer a Title in Florida without having to pay tax on the vehicle.

A little bit of back story:
I went to college, USF (GO BULLS), with my truck in my dad's name and on his insurance to keep the premium down. I graduate college. i.e. dropped from dad's coattails. Insurance wants the vehicle I'm insuring in my name. I don't want to give the Man anymore of my money on something that is already mine.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Yeah, it's illegal once you graduate college. However, your dad will get a refund for any insurance he's over paid. You will have to pay taxes in whatever state you call your residence and insurance premiums for that state. (You can say you still live with your parents, just tell the cop you are a student there but live in Florida, and your residency in the other state is to keep the "In-state tuition")

good luck

Old 08-04-2008, 01:04 PM
I guess I forgot to mention that my parents live in VA and the vehicle is registered in VA. I am trying to register it here in FL, Tampa to be specific.

So there's no way around paying the FL tax on the Truck when I transfer the title from my dad's name to my name?

...if no one wants to publicly say how to get around it PM me or email nbuschelman@gmail.com

Old 08-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Suspended
Transfer the title...and put that you paid nothing for the vehicle. Your dad gave it to you, correct.

At least this is how it used to work in Texas. If you sold someone a vehicle in Texas, you gave them two receipts. One for their records, and one for the state. The one for the state was always cheaper and saved them a ton in taxes. Its bullchit how much we are taxed. I guess thats for another thread.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:07 PM
A buddy of mine did that, put that he payed $1 for the vehicle. He then got a letter in the mail saying that the car is appraised at $x,xxx dollars and needs to pay $xxx much tax on it.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Here in Georgia the Title tax isn't much, but the tax for the tag is CRAZY high. I lived in Missouri growing up, when I bought my tag for my jeep I paid around $50 for a 3 year tag. Once I got a full time job, it was time to buy my F150. I was still in college, but planned on staying in Georgia, so I went ahead and got a GA license, etc. Tag fee when it came time to renew my tag in 05....$260.

Georgia doesn't care what you pay for the truck when it comes to getting your tag, it's based on the vehicle. I just got my notice for my renewal at the end of the month and after 4 years it's still around $130 a year.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Nedward
A buddy of mine did that, put that he payed $1 for the vehicle. He then got a letter in the mail saying that the car is appraised at $x,xxx dollars and needs to pay $xxx much tax on it.
Florida sucks!

Old 08-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Get the title tranfered from you dad to you in Va as a Gift. Then tranfer the title to FL.
You can call the tax office and explain to them you situation and they should haelp you out.
I had a similar problem when I was 16, my brother had a truck that was titled in my moms and his name (FL) and when i got we went to the tax collectors and transfered as a gift, so we pay NO salls tax, just the registration fee's.
Also, when you do register it in Fl tell them that you don't haul anything in it because it will put you in a higher weight catagory and cost more to register.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Ayresusn
Get the title tranfered from you dad to you in Va as a Gift. Then tranfer the title to FL.
You can call the tax office and explain to them you situation and they should haelp you out.
I had a similar problem when I was 16, my brother had a truck that was titled in my moms and his name (FL) and when i got we went to the tax collectors and transfered as a gift, so we pay NO salls tax, just the registration fee's.
Also, when you do register it in Fl tell them that you don't haul anything in it because it will put you in a higher weight catagory and cost more to register.
Was that a SAME state transfer? (FL) b/c if you cross state lines, they want their tax money. And you DONT get a refund from the old state.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:48 PM
It was the same state. That is why i said to do the gift transfer in VA, so has has a VA title in his name, then switch it to a FL title. He will have to pay some intial fees in FL if he has never had FL tags before, but He shouldn't have to pay sales tax for just tranfering a title, I just had to transfer my Hawaii registration to a Fl,and I only had to pay tranfer fee's and registration for the year. No sales tax.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Ayresusn
It was the same state. That is why i said to do the gift transfer in VA, so has has a VA title in his name, then switch it to a FL title. He will have to pay some intial fees in FL if he has never had FL tags before, but He shouldn't have to pay sales tax for just tranfering a title, I just had to transfer my Hawaii registration to a Fl,and I only had to pay tranfer fee's and registration for the year. No sales tax.
Thats is what I like to hear. Thanks for the advice.

I know I have to pay the upfront registration fees. I am trying to avoid the sales tax. Transfer it Instate and reregister it across state.

Thanks and hope you have a good week.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting Past FL Title Tax