Lightning

Update, Dyno Results for 03' Cobra w/ BOP Reflashed EEC

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Update, Dyno Results for 03' Cobra w/ BOP Reflashed EEC

Well even though Southwestern Florida Temps are hot & humid.......I couldn't resist testing out the new EEC and I'm happy .

Sorry....No baseline dyno. I think the results are inline with were they should be at this point but it would have been nice to have a stock dyno. To bad the exhaust and intake went on at 200 miles.

This confirmed my Seat Of The Pants feeling that after the Reflashed EEC the car felt like it opened up in the upper RPMs. On the dyno it did, the car never stopped going up in HP until they let off the gas. First at 6200rpm, then again at 6900rpm. The car never feel off, or headed down in HP for the entire rpms sampled. It shot up early in Torque stayed above 350rwtq from 2100rpm to 6000rpm. I felt that 6900 rpm was plenty high and told them not to take it any higher. The A/F was a dead on, I mean straight line 12:1 from 2500-6900rpm, it toed the line and didn't stray.

In My Opinion.........The Theoretical idea of the Reflashed EEC is 100% OEM drivability & reliability in 100% of driving conditions.

The real test will be adding 4 or 6 pounds of additional boost and seeing if the A/F stays at 12:1. Which with the Reflash it theoretically should.

Results:

DynoJet
98 deg F, 30.2-0.44 in.Hg., CF=1
No cool down before or during runs
1700 miles on OD
Wideband A/F = 12:1 from 2500rpm - End of the run.
SAE #'s
410rwhp, 389rwtq (run 1)
409rwhp, 387rwtq (run 2)

Mods...to date are in my signature.

Anyone wanting more information about the advantages offered by a Reflashed EEC over a chip or soon to be Predator read this thread carefully

F150online, Lightning Forums, REFLASHED EEC's

Mark @
www.BlueOvalPerformance.com

Steeda IRS Cobra Stage 1 Suspension (Comp / Street), MM IRS Bushings, Kenny Brown Subs, Matrix Brace, Jacking Rails, Magnaflow Cat-Back, Magnaflow Catted-X, UPR Intake, Pro 5.0 Shifter / MGW Handle, and a few more tricks to come

Old 07-01-2003, 09:18 AM
I am not flaming here and I am sure the Reflash works but my 03 cobra base lined dynoed at 373 rwhp(SAE) and a cat-back and filter it dynoed at 426 rwhp (STD) . Granted STD is sometimes higher so I will take 15 hp off. That still leaves me at 410 with no reflash or chip.

Not having a baseline # to work with makes it tough to see what the reflash did.

VINNIE

Old 07-01-2003, 09:31 AM
Well.......I hope you are not trying to flame. Because you're right no Base Line makes it very hard to see. No telling where the car started out.

Many 03's dyno anywhere from 350-380rwhp stock. If I started out at 350 then the mods, miles, and power I have are right inline. Lets not mention the conservative tune I requested, the fact the it was in the 90's, and there was no cool down before the run. Or the possibility that dyno results could very by up to 20rwhp with a cool down.

The point to the reflash is it was done by someone educated in OEM EEC programing(not by trial and error), drivability, and flexabiltiy. Not that a reflash can or will make any more power then a chip.

Time will tell. The real test will be adding 4 or 6 lbs of boost and maintaining the 12:1 A/F across the entire rpm range as the reflash has been touted.

Old 07-01-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Onelfastlride
Well.......I hope you are not trying to flame. Because you're right no Base Line makes it very hard to see. No telling where the car started out.

Many 03's dyno anywhere from 350-380rwhp stock. If I started out at 350 then the mods, miles, and power I have are right inline. Lets not mention the conservative tune I requested, the fact the it was in the 90's, and there was no cool down before the run. Or the possibility that dyno results could very by up to 20rwhp with a cool down.

The point to the reflash is it was done by someone educated in OEM EEC programing(not by trial and error), drivability, and flexabiltiy. Not that a reflash can or will make any more power then a chip.

Time will tell. The real test will be adding 4 or 6 lbs of boost and maintaining the 12:1 A/F across the entire rpm range as the reflash has been touted.

When I get my KB on my L , I am going to put my upper on the Cobra. Should be good for about 3-4 lbs and will redyno w/o chip to see what happens.

Believe me I have no problem with Reflashing. I am one of the few that actually has an extra PCM in there basement . So I have been watching this very closely.

VINNIE

Old 07-01-2003, 10:36 AM

One small but possible critical factor to add is.........the car has less then 75miles on it with the new EEC.

Old 07-02-2003, 12:59 AM
It has 75 total miles? What is your total mileage. Those are good numbers I believe. No car is exactly the same.

Old 07-02-2003, 01:38 AM
My question is, will a 12.1 AFR be safe enough? I know with my chip, I usually shoot for 11.5-11.7.

Old 07-02-2003, 03:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
those dyno #'s are nothing special as vinnie pointed out,

there is no need for you to quote temp, because SAE takes that into account, the #'s are what they are

i haven't seen many dynoing at 350, most i have seen dyno between 363 and 380 rwhp stock

Old 07-02-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by beefcake
those dyno #'s are nothing special as vinnie pointed out,

there is no need for you to quote temp, because SAE takes that into account, the #'s are what they are

i haven't seen many dynoing at 350, most i have seen dyno between 363 and 380 rwhp stock
Beefcake, good to see you are still being critical about this. But I might point out to you what was written above because I'm not sure you understood the point. This is not being touted as making more horsepower than a chip. The point is, this works better than a chip to achieve the desired result - reliable horsepower. Matt is not running as much timing as he could. If Matt wanted to make more horsepower with that setup he could easily do so. He's got it setup plenty safe.

Now if you think there is "nothing special" about making horsepower and not pinging (like a helluva lot of chips do) then you just don't get it. Or you refuse to for whatever reason.

The results speak for themself.

Jim

Old 07-02-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by cyntaxx
My question is, will a 12.1 AFR be safe enough? I know with my chip, I usually shoot for 11.5-11.7.
I think the 12.1 is with a tailpipe sniffer, which reports leaner than it's actually running.

~Berj

Old 07-02-2003, 08:54 PM
A chip has nothing to do with pinging! It is the program that the tuner puts on the chip that will cause problems if not correct. I have a K/B at about 15 pounds of boost and a Swanson chip and filter kit. I have never heard my truck ping! Never! That is on Ca. 91 octane gas. I don't care if it is a chip or a reflash if it isn't right you will have problems. When it is right, it is great. Skip

Old 07-03-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Skip
A chip has nothing to do with pinging! It is the program that the tuner puts on the chip that will cause problems if not correct. I have a K/B at about 15 pounds of boost and a Swanson chip and filter kit. I have never heard my truck ping! Never! That is on Ca. 91 octane gas. I don't care if it is a chip or a reflash if it isn't right you will have problems. When it is right, it is great. Skip
This is true. You can make power with a chip. A lot of people do. The issue is what the chip does to make the power and what implications that has for reliability.

Let me ask you this, if you are running your truck at WOT in 90 degree weather and also WOT in 50 degree weather, do you think the A/F ratio your computer achieves in both situations is virtually the same when using a chip? The answer is no.

It not the same because the computer can't make it the same at WOT in stock form. That is because even with a chip the computer is still functioning under the same restraints. The tuners are tricking the computer to throw in timing and fuel. And they try to guess at what point it will present the least problems yet make a demanding customer happy with a hp number on the dyno. Of course, some are better at this than others. Ping, ping, ping....

Read this quote from Onelfastlride above:

"The A/F was a dead on, I mean straight line 12:1 from 2500-6900rpm, it toed the line and didn't stray."

That is what the reflash enables you to do. And it should go without saying that something like that means more reliability. And that is what I care about with my $35,000 cobra that I am making payments on. It answers the question why some people have their vehicle on the dyno and it makes great power with no pinging; only to drive it away and a few days or weeks later the weather changes and they start pinging. It's because not enough "cushion" was programmed in by the tuner. Wouldn't it be nice if that cushion changed with the weather, ie. the computer always tried to achieve and was enabled (by the reflash) to make adjustments for an optimum A/F ratio? Who WOULDN'T want that?

You can make great power with a chip. But it is largely because of the limitations of the way the chip works that people end up pinging. There is a more reliable way to make the power.

Jim

Old 07-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Bottom line is that I've heard many trucks throw rods due to a lean program in their chip but I've not seen many stock trucks do this (if any). The same holds true for Roush and Saleen Mustangs, which use the same reflash technology.

Old 07-03-2003, 01:57 AM
I have driven my truck in 45 degree weather up to 100 degree weather. I have towed my 20 ft. BassCat and driven up to Big Bear from Los Angeles. My A/F is a straight line at 11.5. Like I said before I have never heard it ping in any weather or under any conditions. What else could I ask for? In supercharged vehicles sometimes less is more! Skip

Old 07-03-2003, 03:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i hate to keep raining on everyone's parade, but the reason the computer does well in stock form is it's not pushing the envelope that much and there is plenty of room to keep from running lean ect..

i had a speedpro setup on my 99 cobra that is 100% tunability, but when pushing the envelope, weather conditions can affect it and will affect this too.

like i said, i had 30k miles in 1 year on my truck with over 200 passes on the truck and 1 to 3 wot blasts a day on the street, i don't know of anyone that punishes a vehicle as bad as i do and i never had 1 problem, nada, and i traveled from 50 degree tracks north and south to 100 degree tracks north and south

everyone can praise the "flash gods" for all the talk, but as soon as people start blowing engines because they thought they would "compensate" and "adapt" i'll have this thread bookmarked with a big I TOLD YA SO!

i do wish everyone luck though

Quick Reply: Update, Dyno Results for 03' Cobra w/ BOP Reflashed EEC