2004 - 2008 F-150

Rear End Rough Ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear End Rough Ride

I'm fairly new to the sight, but have found useful solutions many times, so I'm hoping I can explain my issues clear enough that someone can reply with some useful solutions.
I've got a 2007 XLT extra cab 4wd, bought it 3 years ago with 38,000 miles. The previous owner was retired and drove it mainly for camping/hunting trips, towing his camp trailer to areas 100-200 miles round trip. He sold it after a few mods proved that he needed a bigger truck to tow his trailer with his new side by side loaded in the bed.
I purchased the well maintained, nearly stock truck with superchips flashpaq tuner and Timbren helper springs, both were attempts to make the truck perform the way he'd hoped.
The trucks ride has always been rough, it's a truck, not a luxury car. However, the first thing I invested in were some new rear shocks. Bilstein 5100's. Still a bit rough, but still not a luxury car, expected to some degree. The next step was to swap 17" tires to 18". Still rough. My last move came when I went with 35" tires. I had Bilstein 5100's installed in the front to make truck level and allow for larger tires. I love the look of the leveled truck and larger tires, and I expected it remain a bit rough. But, I swear that if I were to drive more than a few miles in rough terrain, my truck would surely beat the hell right out of me! Not to mention the effects of a simple speed bump. I've also noticed what seems to be cupping and uneven wear on rear driver's tire. They were a used set, so i knew there was wear pattern present, but not like this, and it's getting worse.

My questions are, do the Timbren helpers cause a harsher ride, something maybe more noticeable since leveling? I looked under truck recently and it appeared that one was extended and other was collapsed. Jumped up and down on bumper, seemed to resolve.

What can cause uneven rear tire wear? Should I be concerned that previous owner overloaded the truck and possibly damaged/bent rear axle?

Any inexpensive options for rear suspension to achieve as softer ride, replace Timbrens with new bump stops?
I apologize for being long winded, and will definitely appreciate any feedback offered! Thanks

Old 03-22-2017, 06:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have Timbrens in the back of my truck and they do firm up the ride a bit. Think of them as "progressive rate bump stops" that engage pretty much seamlessly as the springs compress. Taking them out will most likely soften up your ride a bit.

As for the uneven rear tire wear, I would suggest that if you have one wazzed out Timbren, you have uneven spring rates from side to side. This would definitely cause uneven tire wear. Sounds like it's time to remove the Timbrens for a couple of reasons.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the reply. That's kinda what I was thinking. Do you have any suggestions for a replacement bump stop to put in place, or are factory bump stops as good as any?

Old 03-22-2017, 07:42 PM
check your air pressure in the tires. I seems like such a small thing but I have had customers come by my old shop saying their car or truck rode like heck, and their tires were over full. The helper springs can really stiffen up the rear as well. Another option for the rear would be to change the block and remove the springs.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nikmac
Thanks for the reply. That's kinda what I was thinking. Do you have any suggestions for a replacement bump stop to put in place, or are factory bump stops as good as any?
If memory serves me correctly, some Timbren installations require you to remove the factory bump stops. If that's the case with your truck, proper removal would include putting the factory bump stops back in.

As for replacements, you could always just buy a new set of Timbrens, but only if you want / need the extra load carrying capacity. Remember, anything that increases your load carrying capacity is going to increase your spring rate and thus degrade your ride.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:53 AM
Thanks for your help. It does look like the factory bump stops were removed. I've looked online and their are many options for replacement bump stops, but I think removing the Timbrens would be my best option. I sold my trailer last fall, so no heavy loads. I appreciate your reply, a second opinion is always helpful (I tend to second guess myself sometimes).

Old 03-23-2017, 09:39 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks like everything is answered between the air and helper springs.
Everything you describe sounds like an F250 SuperCab long bed...Is your F150 a long bed?
Thanks.