Supercharger noob questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger noob questions

Hi All,

This is my first post. :-)

I am considering supercharging my truck. It is a 2006 F150 5.4 Crew Cab XLT 2WD. It has 77,000 miles and is in very good condition. Currently it has a Borla cat back exhaust, Edge Evolution CS tuner, K&N CAI and stock drive train. I believe the gear ratio is 3.73. The wheels and tires are from a 2010 F150 Platinum which I believe are 20" x 8.5"

My goal is to just make it more fun to drive. Unfortunately I live in the communist state of California so my options are limited...

The two kits I am considering are: 1) The CARB approved ProCharger and 2) The CARB approved Whipple supercharger.

My questions are: 1) With the mileage on my truck, is it OK to add a supercharger? 2) Will either one be better for my stock drive train? 3) If anyone has a similar set up, do you think the cost (approx 6k) was worth the results? 4) Should I just sell it and get an Ecoboost? ;-)

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2017, 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by youngatheart
Hi All,

My questions are: 1) With the mileage on my truck, is it OK to add a supercharger? 2) Will either one be better for my stock drive train? 3) If anyone has a similar set up, do you think the cost (approx 6k) was worth the results? 4) Should I just sell it and get an Ecoboost? ;-)

Thanks!
So there are a bunch of guys on here that have a lot more experience then we that can opine on this but I think I can offer some pretty good insight. I started with a stock 2007 4x4 5.4l went to a rebuilt engine with a Vortech (same as Procharger) blew that up went to a fully built 5.4 with a Whipple with 10 psi and then converted to an 8-rib setup now pushing 16 psi and over 500 whp. It has been a fun, very expensive, and ultimately fulfilling experience. HOWEVER...if I had to do it all over again I would have bought a Raptor and just been done with it. I love my truck as it sits today. It's crazy fast, seems to be pretty reliable, and it awesome to drive but has been a lot of work and, more importantly, a lot of money. Fortunately I seem to have more money than brains so it didn't impact me that much. But again...should have just bought a used Raptor. *note* I do a lot of offroading, primarily in Baja so offroad capability is more important to me than drag racing etc and I ended up putting a bunch of $$$ into the suspension on top of the supercharger.

Between the two superchargers you are looking at I find the positive displacement (ie Whipple) to be a much better solution. The motor produces a lot more torque all over the RPM range versus the centrifugal charger that the Procharger kit uses. It makes it a much better daily driver solution. Overall I think the impact on the drivetrain is similar between the two..

As far as the transmission goes I had mine built as sturdy as can be without dropping a ton of money and it has held up so far. With that said I try not to beat the **** out of it. Also mileage really doesn't impact things and a 70k mile old motor is hardly broken in nowadays.

My suggestion would be to find a used supercharger Whipple kit and save yourself a ton of dough. They come up every once and awhile and if you install yourself you are looking at being in the hole maybe $3k versus $6k+. Or buy an Ecoboost and be done with it.

Let me know if you have any questions and good luck!

Old 03-23-2017, 11:15 AM
Thank you radelow. Good info. Yeah, I've been down a similar road with a Camaro... everything ends up twice as expensive as you think and 1/2 as reliable.

What I have learned so far is with a supercharger I can expect to make around 330-360 RWHP and because I live in Kalifornia, apparently I cannot use custom tunes, only canned CARB approved tunes... Also, if I add a supercharger, I should also consider upgrading the trans, differential, cooling, fuel system and brakes...

If I was looking at 450+, I would be all in. But for sub 400, if I do this, I will definitely look for a used one. I am sure there are guys pulling them all of the time during a rebuild or upgrade.

Thanks

Old 03-24-2017, 01:05 AM
California smog check doesn't test the tailpipe. They plug in to the computer and confirm no check engine light and that emisson's test cycle is complete. If you had a custom tune, more boost, etc. if it is done right you will pass smog fine.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:17 PM
I had a Roush on my 05 Lariat with pretty much everything you can do to a stock motor and I made 430. The 05-08 made roughly 220 stock trim at the wheels. And just because you live in California doesn't mean you can't get a custom tune. I'd be more worried about finding 93 octane. But as stated I think you'd want to go the whipple route it's a good blower and lots of room to grow if you wanted too.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:02 AM
Do you have to run 93 octane or can you run 91 octane with a supercharger?

Yeah I am just tryin' to decide what to do... Right now the truck is in great condition and I could probably sell it today. So, do I sell it and buy an Ecoboost or even a 5.0? Or do I add a couple of mods to this one? *I know I will not get any money back for the mods I make no matter how much they cost.*

I don't if this is true or not but it seems like there are more mods for Chevys than Fords and they are less expensive. For example, I can find a good deal on a used super charger for a 5.3 no problem. But try and find a good deal on a used super charger for a 5.4 and you'd have better luck passing a healthcare bill...

Old 03-28-2017, 01:58 PM
I'm sure you could get tuned to run 91. Mine was tuned for 93 since it was readily available. The whipple supercharger is the most expensive on the market, I think Magnuson also makes a supercharger but regardless it's gonna cost upwards of 6k. You might be able to part one together via eBay for a little less.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:33 AM
I am way over 500 rwhp on 91 octane fuel so don't worry about that. I have heard the Magnuson chargers run really really hot. That's at least what my tuner told me...

Old 04-02-2017, 12:37 PM
There was a guy here running the magnuson on his f150 this was about 10 years ago or so. He never had any hot issues with it. But I would stick to roish or whipple.