1997 - 2003 F-150

Edge Evolution and trans temp PID

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Evolution and trans temp PID

I just put a Edge Evolution 15050 on my 01' F150 5.4 and I can't seem to monitor the TFT pid
Am I missing something? I had a Edge on my 07' F150 and I could monitor the trans.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:40 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
I don't think they provided for that function in an Edge before 04.
Good luck

Old 02-17-2017, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
I don't think they provided for that function in an Edge before 04.
Good luck
Thanks for the reply Bluegrass

I actually just got off the phone with Edge and they did infact confirm that my Edge 15050 does not read the TFT PID on the 97-03 F150. But the Edge Evolution CS 85150 does. I must say I'm a little bummed since I just bought this Edge. I tow a TT quite a bit in the summer so I need to see the trans temp.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1-HIGH-4-BY
Thanks for the reply Bluegrass

I actually just got off the phone with Edge and they did infact confirm that my Edge 15050 does not read the TFT PID on the 97-03 F150. But the Edge Evolution CS 85150 does. I must say I'm a little bummed since I just bought this Edge. I tow a TT quite a bit in the summer so I need to see the trans temp.
If you wanting to see that info fairly consistently....maybe just run a independent mechanical transmission temperature gauge to you dash somewhere or A pillar

Old 02-18-2017, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by enriched
If you wanting to see that info fairly consistently....maybe just run a independent mechanical transmission temperature gauge to you dash somewhere or A pillar
I may be interested in doing that cause it would be far cheaper then buying another tuner. But I can't seem to find any write ups on people doing that to the 10th gen.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1-HIGH-4-BY
I may be interested in doing that cause it would be far cheaper then buying another tuner. But I can't seem to find any write ups on people doing that to the 10th gen.
might search you tube or contact the manufactures of the gauge for tech help on the install.

https://intellitronix.com/

https://www.autometer.com/#

http://www.isspro.com/

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/?utm_...hift%20-%20BMM

Old 02-22-2017, 10:26 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 02-22-2017, 01:04 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
I have been running a temp monitor the last 12 years but monitoring at a different location.
Not in the pan or in the transmission but in the output line 6 inches out from the trans to the radiator cooler.
At this point you see the actual temperature the fluid gets to right out of the converter.
Normally the temperature will run close to 148 degrees depending on the ambient and how long in OD, normal speeds and loads.
As soon as the converter goes out of lockup under increased loading the temperature will start to rise slowly due to fluid shearing in the converter.
When converter locks up again, the temperature will come back down again.
With this type monitoring you see the near real time quick changes according to loading.
Under high loads, the temperature can rise to as high as 230 depending on loading, how long and ambient temperatures.
In town or stop and go driving the temperature will run higher.
When temperatures get upward of 250 plus there would be reason to be concerned about cooling because the fluid can begin to break down above 260.
These temperature change actions may be alarming at first until you understand they will act like this whether monitored at this location or not.
In Pan monitoring is at the end of the line so you would not see anything but a slow average change that may be somewhat lower due to the fluid cooling in the pan.
A larger pan capacity does not play a large part in total cooling once the temperature has stabilized but does delay heating due to the larger volume being pumped through from cold starts.
In pan monitoring that shows high temperatures is sort of to late in the game especially if it happens too often. At that point the valve body sensor would begin to make the shifter light come on or flash with an over temperature code set.
Also a larger capacity pan will delay allowing OD to engage until,the sensor temperature gets above about 95 degrees.
Very high temps can soften and burn the front seal if allowed to happen to often and to long a time. The results of this is fluid leak onto the exhaust and a lot of lighter color smoke. Trans has to be rebuilt at this point.
Good luck.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the replys fellas. I ended up finding a decent deal on a Edge cs2 on CL. So I need sell the other one. The CS actually has TFT on it. I normally change the trans fluid twice a year. I have a dorman trans pan with the drain plug so I just drain and fill.