2004 - 2008 F-150

Code trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code trouble

Hello all. I'll get right down to the problem. I have a 2006 5.4 f150. It has an edge CTS programmer, long tube headers, no cats, and a full 3 inch exhaust. The headers and exhaust setup has been on the truck for a couple of years now with zero problems. Recently I have been getting a code, p0132, upstream driver side O2 sensor. It comes on right as I start the truck or soon there after. A couple of times I cleared the code and it wouldn't come back for a few drive cycles, but usually it comes right back.

So yesterday I replaced the sensor, cleared the code, and have gone through about 6 or so drive cycles with no light. Now tonight it has come back on and seems to be repeating the old problem.

I am not sure what to do next. What are some other things I should look at to help diagnose this problem? I have registration coming up and need the check engine light gone before I go to smog it. Thanks all for the help.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:18 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
How are you going to pass inspection with no cats?

Old 01-24-2017, 04:58 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Respectfully, did you read the code 132 description?
When you look up a word in the dictionary, your looking for what it means.
The 132 description says the CIRCUIT is high or open.
It's not the sensor.
Hint.
Also with that huge exhaust system, you lost low end torque. Bigger is not better on a truck application.
Good luck.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:25 PM
glc, Im in Nevada, on OBDII engines, as long as there is no check engine light and the computer says all is OK it passes.

Bluegrass, I realize its not the sensor now. I replaced it originally because I thought it could be either in the sensor, it is 4 years old, or in the splice to extend the harness needed to reach the header on the port.

As for the exhaust, the headers came with the 3" outlet, I debated for a long time about 2.5" or 3". I don't remember why I went with 3" at this point, but that doesn't really have anything to do with my current problem. Either way, I still gained a lot of low end torque and fuel mileage.

Now for a bit of an update, first I cleaned the MAF on the suggestion of a mechanic at work, that did not help. I am noticing a pattern now though, the light does not come on when I start the truck and let it idle, its only after having moved a bit or applying throttle. Also, once I clear it, it does not return till the next drive cycle.

My plan is to clean the air filter tomorrow, its pretty dirty, and replace the spark plugs since I have been babying those along for a while now. Both of those items could be adding to the problem, so I want to get them fixed up to see if it goes away.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:20 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Well, I just want to, for my last attempt, tell you that you cannot fix an "open wire circuit"
code P0132 by working on other parts of the system.
Apparently the open is so marginal that it is temperature or vibration sensitive by the way you say it acts.
It may even be back at the PCM big plug or at a splice joint.
If both sensors are down stream at the big end of the headers, they are running colder than
they should. What happens is they cool over a wide temperature range vs engine load and throttle. This affects their ability to properly control fuel injection amount..
Said another way the correction loop is slower and a bit lazy.
This likely could be seen on a Scanner looking at the OX sensor voltage swings being too wide from a constant throttle to stop and go when the senors have time to cool excessively..
Just some additional infor you might like to know.

Good luck with it.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:44 PM
So plugs and filter are clean, and no change. Bluegrass, I'm sure you are surprised.......lol

From what you are saying, it looks like I need to look at the wiring harness. I'm thinking its in the factory harness. What are likely spots it might fail? What pin(s) should I look at, at the PCM?