1998 4x4 CV Axle Replacement/Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 07:34 PM
JHL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 4x4 CV Axle Replacement/Upgrade

My 19 year old baby is wanting some attention. Planning a whole front end rebuild. Over 300K of service since I bought her off the lot! All the old rubber bushings are at/near end of life. Surely tie rod ends, and such are shot too.

CV boot has been torn for a while now, makes a noise in 4 by, still fine in 2 by... But in need of replacement.

Doing it all at once, including front shock replacement.

Looking for suggestions on upgrading my axles. Stock is fine, but are there better stronger alternatives?

Also looking for opinions on Urethane vs stock rubber bushings. I did go urethane on the front sway bar years ago... no big difference there.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as axles, definitely don't cheap out. The Ford units have more ***** in the joint than many of the parts store replacements.
I did the front and rear on my Expedition a couple years ago, and installed all urethane bushings along with After market rear trailing arms. Definitely feels tighter, of course almost 200K miles could have been part of it. The urethane do make a little more noise at times, nothing crazy though.