F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Instrument Panel Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instrument Panel Lighting

My 07 F 350 has tinted glass and the gauges are almost unreadable. My vision is not the greatest. Even with the parking lights on there doesn't seem to be enough light. Is it possible to increase the panel lighting? I keep a small flash light in the console in case I need to check the gauges. This is just during the day.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This may sound like a dumb question, but do you have the brightness turned up all the way right now?

Old 01-16-2017, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
This may sound like a dumb question, but do you have the brightness turned up all the way right now?
The brightness is turned up. I think the tinted glass and the way the panel is recessed has a lot to do with it. Any chance there would be a burned out bulb? Speedometer and RPM is marginal but the Temp, Oil, Gas ect., I can't see. Any idea how many instrument bulbs are in the panel? I'll check later today.

I found this on you tube. A little over the top for me but it looks like I'm not the only one that has a problem with the instrument cluster. I'll keep looking and see if I can find a solution and source for the LED's

Last edited by joe buddy; 01-16-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:02 PM
Sounds like you do have a bulb out. One word of caution. LED bulbs are polarity sensitive. So before you button everything back up, make sure they're all working. If one or two are not, flip them around in the socket and try again.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Sounds like you do have a bulb out. One word of caution. LED bulbs are polarity sensitive. So before you button everything back up, make sure they're all working. If one or two are not, flip them around in the socket and try again.
I've looked at a few videos and checked on EBay for an LED kit. It seems the least expensive kit is $30. That seems like a lot for a few LED's. I'm hoping a member that has gone thru the change out will have a few tips. The real problem that I have is not being able to see the panel during the day. I'll just roll the window down and that ought to be enough light to see the gauges. I still think the brighter LED's will really make the panel look better. We'll see.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by joe buddy
I've looked at a few videos and checked on EBay for an LED kit. It seems the least expensive kit is $30. That seems like a lot for a few LED's. I'm hoping a member that has gone thru the change out will have a few tips. The real problem that I have is not being able to see the panel during the day. I'll just roll the window down and that ought to be enough light to see the gauges. I still think the brighter LED's will really make the panel look better. We'll see.
Try posting up in the Illumination & Lighting sub-forum. I think you'll find that 2008_XL changed everything in his truck over to LEDs - with mixed results.