New Truck possibility. Just don't know which way to do it

Old 12-08-2016, 08:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
New Truck possibility. Just don't know which way to do it

So here is my predicament. I am really really really wanting a new 2017 3.5 Eb with the 10 speed. I am on the waiting list to be called with 2 dealers as soon as they arrive. So far they only have the 17 2.7 and 5.0's on the lot.

Here is the hard decision. I have my 2013 EB that has been a great truck, Paid off since the day i bought it and well i just really like the damn thing. Its got 69,300 miles on it and i know if i am going to trade it off now is the time to do it before it gets higher miles and older.
One way i think its kinda stupid to have 2 F150's, most know on here my truck is my baby. I've thought about keeping the 13 using it as a daily and keep the miles off the new truck for a few years. Im also really interested how many miles i can get on this truck without any problems. The truck is already tuned, its not in perfect shape but nicer shape than other 70k almost 4 year old trucks.

The other way is trade it in, get hopefully 18k or a little more and then put that towards the new truck and finish paying it off. If i keep the 13 i will not be able to pay cash for the truck and would probably be able to do half down on the final price of the truck have it paid off in 2 years or less.

If i trade in the 13 the new truck will have a lot of miles put on it. Within the first year of my 2013 i had almost 25k miles on it. Also i won't be able to leave it stock. I would have to tune it, Buy floor mats and the stuff most do when buying a new truck. If i keep the 13 the new truck would stay stock since i would have the 13 for my hotrod, tow rig etc.

So give me yalls pro's and cons on 1 truck or 2.

Only Cons i can think of is a extra 50 dollars a month for insurance on the 13, a few extra oil changes for both trucks and a monthly payment for a couple years (thats the big thing).

So Keep the 2013, Drive it and keep racking up the miles. Or trade it in and put alot of miles on the new truck as a daily driver.

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 12-08-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:40 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
I buy mine to use...only putting about 10K a year since I retired even using it daily for mostly short trips. When I was working I'd put a hundred miles a day just on my commute and that was about 25K miles a year. I'd be a little leery about the new 10 speed the first year but that's just me. You only live once so why not go for it!!

Old 12-08-2016, 08:54 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Only cure for new truck fever is a new truck! Or wait and suffer until the urge goes away!

Old 12-08-2016, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by PawPaw
I buy mine to use...only putting about 10K a year since I retired even using it daily for mostly short trips. When I was working I'd put a hundred miles a day just on my commute and that was about 25K miles a year. I'd be a little leery about the new 10 speed the first year but that's just me. You only live once so why not go for it!!
So would you say its better to take a hit every 4 years or so trading in a truck with higher miles or keep the 13 and rack up the miles on it for another 10 years or so and then still have a like new truck sitting in the garage with less than half to 3/4 the miles it would have if it was the daily driver. I'm sure we are talking thousands in another 4 years if i were to trade the new truck in with 70k miles compared to maybe 30k miles and of course it would be in better condition also.

Id bet the 13 will go to 150k miles easily. Im almost half there and it has gave no indications it wont go another 80k miles.

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 12-08-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:21 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I say do the smart thing and get a 2017 5.0

Old 12-08-2016, 10:55 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd keep the truck you have and run it as long as you can. You already have it to the point where it's worn enough that you don't stress over every little ding or extra mile, yet it's still in nice enough shape that it's a high quality daily driver. The only way I'd buy a new car is if it's intended to be a long term "keeper" that's only driven for pleasure on sunny weekend afternoons!

Old 12-09-2016, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by Patman
I say do the smart thing and get a 2017 5.0
if I was to do that I'd just get a left over 16. no difference that I know of between the 2 years. I don't think I'd ever go back with a N/A engine in a new truck. Eb has me beyond spoiled.

Originally Posted by ddellwo
I'd keep the truck you have and run it as long as you can. You already have it to the point where it's worn enough that you don't stress over every little ding or extra mile, yet it's still in nice enough shape that it's a high quality daily driver. The only way I'd buy a new car is if it's intended to be a long term "keeper" that's only driven for pleasure on sunny weekend afternoons!
Sad thing is I do stress over every little ding. just yesterday my son hit the rear door up against the wall of the garage and had to bite my tongue and look the other way

I think if I had a new one sitting In the garage I wouldn't be near as picky on the 2013. I'm actually pretty proud of my myself, This is the longest I've ever been without washing the truck and it's filthy right now, back a year ago I'd been out there in 30 degree weather washing it cause it was dusty, lol

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 12-09-2016 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since you asked, here's my two cents. If you really want a new truck, buy it!

But here's where I differ from most people. Why settle for what a dealer has on the lot? If you're going to spend a small fortune on a new vehicle, why not get the exact vehicle you want? All manufacturers have "build & price" sections on their web sites. (You'd be absolutely astounded to know how many different combinations of options, colors, etc. are possible on most vehicles.) Go through and build the exact truck you'd want, then order it from a dealer. I do this on every vehicle I buy because I'm no willing to spend that much money for something "pretty close" to what I want. The Ford dealer I always work with completely understood and always ordered the exact truck I specified.

Now here's the weird part. All dealers will tell you that they can sell you one "off the lot" for less than they can sell you one you custom order. That's where I ask them how much they pay each month for Floor Plan. (The loan a dealer takes out to finance the inventory sinking through the pavement on their huge lot.) This usually gets the salesperson stumbling. Then tell them that your new truck will roll right off the hauler and into your hands - so they don't have to pay Floor Plan on it - so it should actually cost you less. If they keep stumbling, try another dealer.

Like I said, just my two cents.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:09 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
How does the resale value of the ecoboost trucks with high mileage compare to the V8s? Usually, it's always cheaper in the long run to keep what you have. But, if the resale value of the eco with 150k miles is in the toilet then that may be the reason to trade it early. I've never been one to trade a new vehicle often unless I didn't like the vehicle. The 75 Honda Civic comes to mind as well as the 81 Chevy LUV truck. I actually liked them but both were very low quality vehicles and I only kept them 18 months. The new 65 Chevelle with 300hp 327 V8, 4 speed, posi I put 100k miles on it and only sold it because I was shipped to Korea for over a year. Shoulda kept it. The 70 Mustang fastback I bought new I kept for 11 years. My current 05 Dodge Magnum Hemi was purchased new and I still love it! My new 2000 F150 was sold after 105k miles when I over reacted when gas went to over $4/gallon in 2005. Buying a new vehicle usually is not a financially justifiable decision. You do it because you want to.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
How does the resale value of the ecoboost trucks with high mileage compare to the V8s? Usually, it's always cheaper in the long run to keep what you have. But, if the resale value of the eco with 150k miles is in the toilet then that may be the reason to trade it early. I've never been one to trade a new vehicle often unless I didn't like the vehicle. The 75 Honda Civic comes to mind as well as the 81 Chevy LUV truck. I actually liked them but both were very low quality vehicles and I only kept them 18 months. The new 65 Chevelle with 300hp 327 V8, 4 speed, posi I put 100k miles on it and only sold it because I was shipped to Korea for over a year. Shoulda kept it. The 70 Mustang fastback I bought new I kept for 11 years. My current 05 Dodge Magnum Hemi was purchased new and I still love it! My new 2000 F150 was sold after 105k miles when I over reacted when gas went to over $4/gallon in 2005. Buying a new vehicle usually is not a financially justifiable decision. You do it because you want to.
good question about the resale value, I wouldn't expect it to be much difference, I would think probably the EB would be slightly more value but that's just my opinion.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:12 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
If you can afford it, buy the new one and keep the old one. I'm with you on the EB, I'd never want a NA engine in a truck again.

It sounds like you DO have new truck fever, and as Roadie said, there's only one cure!

I also liked 2 stroked's advice though. I ordered one car to my "specs" in my life, a Mercury Marquis Brougham, back in the late 60s. I absolutely loved that car and would probably still have it if it hadn't needed high-test leaded gasoline.

- Jack

Old 12-09-2016, 08:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell...oh wait that's not right

Roadie and Jack are right, there's only one way to cure the new truck fever. Your truck is nice, if you were able to afford to keep it and swing a payment for a couple years on a new one I think that's what I'd do.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:10 PM
99 percent sure I'm keeping the 13. Don't see the point in getting rid of it. it's been a great truck I have a little bit of money in it with the mods I've done plus my custom tunes, Grill, New tires etc plus have some other things I'm wanting to get for it

Old 12-10-2016, 12:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say keep the '13 and get the new one in your case. That way you can tow, move stuff around or do whatever you want with the '13. If it keeps the miles of the new one, you'll likely keep it a bit longer. The bonus is while the new one is in the shop getting that 10 speed figured out, you'll still have a nice whip to drive around, lol!

On the flip side, if it was me I would just get the new one. Insurance and space to have two just isn't feasible here.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:28 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
99 percent sure I'm keeping the 13. Don't see the point in getting rid of it. it's been a great truck I have a little bit of money in it with the mods I've done plus my custom tunes, Grill, New tires etc plus have some other things I'm wanting to get for it
I think you said the '13 is paid for...its running good and does the jobs it was built for...then its hard to justify a new truck. If it ever starts having problems then I would start thinking about dumping it. The new ones are nice but not a must have option right now.

Search this Thread