2004 - 2008 F-150

can I replace the trans cooler lines myself?

Old 12-03-2016, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can I replace the trans cooler lines myself?

Hi, I have a 2007 F150 and today noticed that the transmission cooler line on the driver side has developed quite a leak. I've tried to find videos on youtube for replacing this line and googled it but haven't had much luck. Does anyone know how big of a job this is and what tools are needed?

I'm no mechanic but using basic walkthroughs I've found online I've been able to do some fixes on my cars before like brakes, alternators, hoses and such. Is this job something that I could handle myself? Also, I only have ramps for changing oil so I can't get the truck too high off the ground and don't know if that would be a problem.

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2016, 07:35 AM
I have the same problem. All 3 of my cooler lines are leaking. I see that some of my lines were cut out and replaced with hose by the previous owner. I was told that these are low pressure lines so they can be repaired with hose and hose clamps. I have read that the clips that hold the lines into the radiator are a pain and require a special little tool to detach them. To replace the lines with OEM ones will cost about $200 from what I found online. You can look on Tasca.

http://www.tascaparts.com/auto-parts...il-cooler-scat

Old 12-05-2016, 07:40 AM
Originally Posted by shesmy3
I have the same problem. All 3 of my cooler lines are leaking. I see that some of my lines were cut out and replaced with hose by the previous owner. I was told that these are low pressure lines so they can be repaired with hose and hose clamps. I have read that the clips that hold the lines into the radiator are a pain and require a special little tool to detach them. To replace the lines with OEM ones will cost about $200 from what I found online. You can look on Tasca.

http://www.tascaparts.com/auto-parts...il-cooler-scat
After doing some additional research I was told the lines are high pressure and using a hose is only a temporary fix to get the truck from where it's at to a shop to get repaired. The pressure is around 65lbs and around 300lbs in reverse. I found the parts you linked to on Parts.com and they should be here later this week. I found there are two different tools that are supposed to do the same thing to remove the line. Rather than buy the cheapest and find I should have bought the other one I just ordered both.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope that helps. If I were you I wouldn't drive the truck until you get the proper lines on there. To me it's not worth trashing the transmission. Good luck!

Old 12-06-2016, 07:10 AM
Would you please post back after you repaired your lines and let me know which tool worked best for you? I am going to do these soon and dont feel like buying 2 connection tools if I dont need to. Thank you.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:34 AM
Would you please post back after you repaired your lines and let me know which tool worked best for you? I am going to do these soon and dont feel like buying 2 connection tools if I dont need to. Thank you.
Sure. It's probably going to be a few days to a week before I'll be able to get to it, but I'll let you know.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:45 PM
Well that didn't go well. The lines are too corroded to get the tool in and disconnect them. It's time to get it towed and let the professionals handle it. Good luck to you.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:57 PM
They were too corroded at the the back of the rad? I should really look at mine so I know what I'm getting into before I get into it.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:02 PM
They were too corroded at the the back of the rad? I should really look at mine so I know what I'm getting into before I get into it.
Yes. The plastic release tool just wouldn't go in far enough on both the radiator connection and the auxiliary cooler connection to disconnect them. I tried using some wd40 and steel wool on the steel tube to clean it off and then blow compressed air around it to hopefully clear out any small particles that might be in the spot where the plastic goes in, but no luck.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:09 PM
Oh boy. Looks like they are going to have to be cut out.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:40 AM
Is there an easy way to simply delete the cooler? Do you really need it? From what I understand it was an option.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Though it's not ideal, I've seen those lines fixed by cutting out the leaking section and replacing it with metal tubing and compression fittings. Here in New England this is a common repair on vehicles that have been driven several winters on our chemically treated roads.

Search this Thread