2009 - 2014 F-150

Hill Assist while reversing on Incline

Old 11-29-2016, 09:31 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hill Assist while reversing on Incline

I'm not sure if I'm having a issue or not but on my 2013 when I back up the driveway it seems like the hill assist is activating and it's annoying. I have always noticed it when in drive but with the new house the driveway is a pretty good incline and that's when I've noticed it in reverse.

If I'm trying to hook up the trailer and stop on the incline it hard to get it to inch back to the trailer hitch. It feels like the brakes are holding it and actually have to tap the throttle pretty hard to disengage it, also while it's activated the brake pedal gets pretty hard

Does this sound like hill assist or something else going wrong?

Old 11-29-2016, 10:36 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Coy, I don't have that problem in my 2014. My driveway has a fairly steep (probably 10% grade) at the foot along with a sharp curve from the street. Normally, I pull up the driveway going forward, but if I'm returning from a trip with the trailer, I have to back in. The truck seems to act "normally" then, and I have to stop and pull forward on the incline a couple times to get things lined up properly.

The only time I notice hill assist is when I stop at a T-intersection on a similar steep incline close to the house. Then, there's no tendency to roll backwards.

- Jack

Old 11-29-2016, 11:38 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Maybe something in the parking brake? Drum brakes get tighter going in reverse. That's how self adjusting drums work.

I don't believe 2013 or 2014 had any kind of hill assist features.

Of course we might be overlooking the obvious, that your truck doesn't have the low end torque of a V8

Old 11-29-2016, 12:32 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Patman
... <snip>...
I don't believe 2013 or 2014 had any kind of hill assist features. ... <snip>...
Mine does, Pat. It's called "Hill Start Assist". Keeps it from rolling back (or forward) on an incline when you take your foot off the brake, for 2-3 seconds. It activates automatically if you bring the truck to a full stop on a hill.

I've never felt that any vehicle needed this, not even one with a manual transmission, if the driver was any good, but it's on my truck and it works.

- Jack

Old 11-29-2016, 02:19 PM
Maybe something in the parking brake? Drum brakes get tighter going in reverse. That's how self adjusting drums work.

I don't believe 2013 or 2014 had any kind of hill assist features.

Of course we might be overlooking the obvious, that your truck doesn't have the low end torque of a V8

Can I prove ya wrong on the hill assist, since I never really get too?

it shows it as a standard equipment on my window sticker.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Coy, I don't have that problem in my 2014. My driveway has a fairly steep (probably 10% grade) at the foot along with a sharp curve from the street. Normally, I pull up the driveway going forward, but if I'm returning from a trip with the trailer, I have to back in. The truck seems to act "normally" then, and I have to stop and pull forward on the incline a couple times to get things lined up properly.

The only time I notice hill assist is when I stop at a T-intersection on a similar steep incline close to the house. Then, there's no tendency to roll backwards.

- Jack
Thanks Jack

When it activates in a forward gear does it do it smoothly or is it kinda jumpy once it releases? mine seems a little jumpy when it deactivates in drive.

I'm afraid one of these times when I'm hooking up to the trailer I'm going to end up with the trailer hitch under the truck or into the bumper. When it release the truck Jerks back which makes it really hard if you only have a couple inches to go before you need to stop again.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:19 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Coy - I did some searching. You can't disable the hill start assist, but you can override it by lightly applying the parking brake. You can also try this - let off the foot brake, wait for it to time out and the truck starts rolling forward, give it some gas.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:17 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I stand corrected on the hill start assist.

In all seriousness, maybe the engine tune prohibits boost in reverse?

Old 11-29-2016, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Coy - I did some searching. You can't disable the hill start assist, but you can override it by lightly applying the parking brake. You can also try this - let off the foot brake, wait for it to time out and the truck starts rolling forward, give it some gas.
I will certainly try the parking brake. Guess just 1 or 2 clicks should do it. I will also try tout let it time out but I've waited atleast 15 or so seconds and it never releases in reverse.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:24 PM
Global Moderator &

I stand corrected on the hill start assist.

In all seriousness, maybe the engine tune prohibits boost in reverse?
Thinking about the way Hill Start Assist works, and the symptoms Coy is describing, it sounds like his brakes are remaining locked longer than they should when he increases the RPMs. I don't think boost has anything to do with it.

There is probably a sensor that sends a signal to release the brakes that is malfunctioning. I suppose this is something a dealership could fix if they're any good at their work.

DO give glc's suggestion a try. I agree, you don't want your truck jumping into the trailer during hitching. Fortunately, I can hitch mine up on level ground at home.

And Coy, to answer your question, my HSA releases very smoothly. It seems to let go right at the point that the engine torque is just able to get the truck moving.

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 11-29-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've always found more of a delay in this feature in reverse than forward. May just be how it feels. If I move too quick off the brake and then on the gas, you can feel the brakes fighting you. It's easy to tell when they let go.

I've gotten in the habit of just waiting a second or so once I release my foot from the brake. Takes a bit of timing, but you get used to it after a while. There is almost no where around here that I park that's flat other than my garage.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:39 AM
I did the parking brake trick and it worked perfect. Nice and smooth all the way up after stopping and starting again.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:11 AM
Global Moderator &

Cool! Problem solved! Great post, glc.

- Jack

Old 12-04-2016, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool, I'll keep that trick in mind!

Search this Thread