2016 FX4 Rear end sag with topper

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 FX4 Rear end sag with topper

I have a 2016 FX4 Supercrew that has a Leer 100XQ with leer locker and top rack with half basket. I didnt notice the rear sagging until I had a 2.5" level put on the front. Now the front tire to bottom or fender gap is 7" and the rear is 5.5".

Topper is probably 300lbs or so and I carry maybe 100lbs of tools so maybe 400lbs on average

Do I need to get a rear block setup to get it fixed up? If so how big would you go? 2" or 3"? Does the size run true? Id prefer a little rake vs the front end higher.

I cant take any more people flashing me for my bright *** LED headlights hitting them in the eyes

Old 11-17-2016, 04:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 05 after I did a 2.5" level and added a topper, plus I didn't want the truck to bulldog when I had my boat hooked up. I went with a 1.5" add a leaf and couldn't be happier. Ride didn't suffer and it gives a slight rake when not hooked up to a trailer. Not sure what the setup is on the 16's but on the earlier generations they said to make sure and get the long leaf and not the short one. Hope this helps .........

Old 12-23-2016, 09:07 AM
I've been going through the same issues with my 2016 FX4 Supercrew. I have a temporary 2" spacer lift in the front, which makes the truck level--no rake. When I load the bed and put the quad trailer on, the rear squats 1 1/2 - 2". I think the leafs on the 2015+ are too soft, though the ride empty is nice, even if the shocks have way too much rebound (IMHO), causing it to feel bouncy over bumps.

I tried Sumosprings and that helps reduce squat a little when loaded. Next week I will replace the OEM 1.25" rear lift blocks with 3" blocks. That will give me about 1.5" rake and make the truck level when loaded. I'll keep the cush ride when empty (it's my daily driver). Only disadvantage would be higher susceptibility to axle wrap when stomping on the pedal, which is rare for me so it shouldn't matter. I'll try this setup with and without the Sumosprings on my offroad excursions. The main drawback to the Sumos is reduced articulation when crawling over large rocks. Again, not a big deal for me as it would be a rare occurrence to find myself getting tires in the air over rocks/ruts in the F-150.

With constant load in the back, I'd definitely go with the add a leaf option. I will probably try that this summer to compare the ride, since it is only about $125 and a couple hours of labor.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:23 PM
I had same issue with rear sagging on my '10 FX4 with a front end level, an add a leaf (AAL) worked wonders. No more sag, a little rake, and beefed up rear end (very little sag) while pulling boat and enclosed snowmobile trailer. I haven't pulled anything yet with my '16 Lariat, but I went 3" block in the back this time because of taller spacer in front. If needed, I won't hesitate to use another AAL.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:25 PM
glc
Received 758 Likes on 702 Posts
What about a set of airbags in the rear?

Old 01-17-2017, 05:49 PM
I am happy with the 3" rear lift blocks. I had the bed loaded and ATV trailer hitched and the truck was perfectly level, which was my intent. Oh and . . . the Icon Stage 2 kit is simply amazing at sucking up the terrain off road and rides great on the highway. The difference is night and day with respect to the OEM suspension, which I am not a fan of.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by stretch415

I cant take any more people flashing me for my bright *** LED headlights hitting them in the eyes

You our have to re aim your headlights after your level kit. Have the same problem with our f150s at work. Short cab regular bed trucks had tool bikes installed with construction racks. Soft suspension package on those so they aim higher than when they were not loaded . People flash all the time at night, have someone drive your truck and have them follow you, you'll see how much it sucks. It's easily fixable.