P0420 & P0430 after Magnaflow 94106 - Are my o2 sensors in the right place?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 04:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P0420 & P0430 after Magnaflow 94106 - Are my o2 sensors in the right place?

Good afternoon!

I had my CATs replaced with Magnaflow 94106.
I ran a few days after clearing codes with no issues but now I'm getting the following codes:

P0420
P0430

I am wondering about my o2 sensor placement.

I have 1 o2 sensor before my pre-cat and then 1 o2 sensor after the pre-cat before the 94106. There's nothing after the 94106.

Should the pre-cat have been removed and the sensors placed before and after the cat that was installed?

Thanks,

David

Old 10-20-2016, 05:33 PM
From reading I think I'll need to have them move the second o2 sensor back behind the new 94106s. Do do this I'll need extenders. Does anyone have the part # for a 2004 F-150 FX4 5.4?

Old 10-29-2016, 01:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Those are definitely catalyst insufficiency codes.

Firstly, did you have headers installed? Or do you have manifolds in place?

Headers would relocate the first set of O2 sensors which monitor the air & fuel ratio. Tuning is required to re-dial in the proper spec. Your truck would be running a little rough without proper tuning and possibly consuming more fuel.

If you still have OEM manifolds, the O2 sensors are in the downpipes closer to the Y pipe than to the manifolds themselves. Leaving them untouched is perfectly fine.

As far as the new cat location and second set of sensors, you will definitely want the rear set of sensors which monitor catalyst efficiency to be behind the cats to get a full filtered reading. OEM are a higher standard of filtration over the free flowing new converters.

O2 extensions such as the Mustang 4.6L ones should fit. On average they are 18" in length.

You could also have catalyst efficiency tuned out via custom tuning if it becomes a pain in the neck down the road.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Those are definitely catalyst insufficiency codes.

Firstly, did you have headers installed? Or do you have manifolds in place?

Headers would relocate the first set of O2 sensors which monitor the air & fuel ratio. Tuning is required to re-dial in the proper spec. Your truck would be running a little rough without proper tuning and possibly consuming more fuel.

If you still have OEM manifolds, the O2 sensors are in the downpipes closer to the Y pipe than to the manifolds themselves. Leaving them untouched is perfectly fine.

As far as the new cat location and second set of sensors, you will definitely want the rear set of sensors which monitor catalyst efficiency to be behind the cats to get a full filtered reading. OEM are a higher standard of filtration over the free flowing new converters.

O2 extensions such as the Mustang 4.6L ones should fit. On average they are 18" in length.

You could also have catalyst efficiency tuned out via custom tuning if it becomes a pain in the neck down the road.
Thanks! I have OEM manifolds. I will grab a set of the Mustang o2 extensions and get in touch with the muffler shop to schedule their install. Once it is all finished I will post an update with some pics. Thanks again.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:31 AM
Success

I picked up item #1676 - 86-10 FORD BBK O2 SENSOR 4 WIRE HARNESS EXTENSIONS (2) from BBK Performance (www.bbkperformance.com) and had the o2 sensor repositioned after the magnaflow high-flow cats. This has worked great and no more check engine codes!