2015 F150 platinum transmission acting weird

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 F150 platinum transmission acting weird

Hello All,

since I bought the truck 6 months ago, I noticed that eveytime I was switching from R to D there was a delayed, if I was trying to take off fast, my tranny was slow in changing gears.

Yesterday I had the truck for the first oil changed and mentioned this to my S.A.
today I received the truck and the paperwork I noticed only a tsb or update some calibration ..

now when I go from R to D i have some delay but also a loud nock ..
some one having or experiencing anything similar?

thanks

Old 10-12-2016, 11:41 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Take it back, that's what a warranty is for. That's not right.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:04 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
^What he said^!

However, I have to ask, are you stepping on the gas, revving the engine as it comes out of R? If so, I think that may well delay the transmission from locking into D. There is no load on the drivetrain when you are doing this, so I would think the transmission would be a bit confused regarding the gear it should shift into.

And, when it DOES finally select a gear, the engine will be spinning fast, which will put a sudden torque onto the gears, possibly leading to the "clunk" you are experiencing.

Personally, I don't think you are doing the transmission any favors by doing what you're doing.

- Jack

Old 10-18-2016, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
^What he said^!

However, I have to ask, are you stepping on the gas, revving the engine as it comes out of R? If so, I think that may well delay the transmission from locking into D. There is no load on the drivetrain when you are doing this, so I would think the transmission would be a bit confused regarding the gear it should shift into.

And, when it DOES finally select a gear, the engine will be spinning fast, which will put a sudden torque onto the gears, possibly leading to the "clunk" you are experiencing.

Personally, I don't think you are doing the transmission any favors by doing what you're doing.

- Jack
No I'm not doing that, just moving from R to D and using my foot on gas fast after changing gear, unless I have to wait 5 minutes for the tranny to engage that's kind of crazy, have a new f250, 2008 f150, 13 911 and 14 Cayenne, none of this vehicles do this delay or clunk if changing gears fast..

one good example is when you do a U turn and your truck doesn't complete the turn, you have to engage the R back up and then D fast to avoid the traffic that is coming right? if I do that the tranny takes a long time to engage I have to wait maybe 2 seconds for the tranny to avoid the delay

Old 10-18-2016, 12:48 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
OK, solrac - I get your point. And, I don't think my truck has that kind of delay in shifting from R to D. But, I've never really tried what you are doing. It always seems to be already engaged in Drive when I step on the gas. There's little to no delay.

I DO know that if I'm passing someone on the highway and floor the accelerator to WOT, there is a noticeable, maybe one second delay while the transmission downshifts several gears. I've discovered I actually get better passing performance by smoothly pressing on the accelerator to bring the RPMs up and activate the turbos - It MAY shift down one gear then, but that action happens almost instantaneously.

- Jack

Old 12-04-2016, 12:12 AM
Mine does. You can hear how slow it shifts from reverse to drive, a lot of times accompanied by a humming noise.

Quick Reply: 2015 F150 platinum transmission acting weird