1997 - 2003 F-150

2003 runaway throttle!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 runaway throttle!

One of the scariest things I have experienced. Accelerated from a stop light up to about 50mph, and then when I let off the gas it didn't slow, it almost seemed like it accelerated more. Had to slam the brakes hard and then off the engine to get it to stop. When restarted it revved very high and I had to turn it back off and call AAA for a tow. While waiting on AAA I removed the throttle covers and checked the throttle cable and it was not stuck.

Mechanic received truck from AAA and says it started up and drove normally. He thinks maybe the throttle was stuck on the covers, which adds up, but how likely is that? I'm worried that if we haven't fixed anything it could happen again and get someone hurt. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 09-25-2016, 01:48 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
It is of very little help to ask if someone else had the trouble.
Over the last 12 years I have heard of just two instances of high throttle and there was a cause found.
You or some one needs to take a close look for throttle operation in the throttle control area and for the cable operating free of bends.
Throttle pedal free of hangup with floor mat etc.
Take the cable off at the throttle to be sure it works smoothly from it's stop to wide open without any hangups and the cable is smooth in full operation.
Once your sure that all works smooth, the return spring is placed properly, remove the Intake Air Controller and clean it inside with the proper spray cleaner..
Last, remove the large hose exposing the throttle plate.
Hold the throttle open and spray clean that whole bore area until all the gum is out and clean.
Reassemble everything as you found it.
There is a Cruise Control cable attached at the throttle lever. Be sure that cable is not causing a problem.
The ONLY way an engine rises in RPM for 'drive power' is with added intake air through the intake system. There can be no other cause on a variable efficiency 4 stroke engine.
That is what you do for normal; driving by pushing the gas pedal..
Your trying to be sure and clear any causes of throttle or air bypass operating faults with the above procedures.
If the truck has age and a lot of miles, this needs to be done.
And check the air filter condition for letting dirt by it.
Good luck.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:19 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
My 2003 V6 did this, it was hanging up on the doghouse which had come loose.

Quick Reply: 2003 runaway throttle!