How to get rid mosquitoes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 11:12 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How to get rid mosquitoes?

We have had alot of rain the last week, probably around 6 inches or so and the darn mosquitoes are out everywhere. My son is very allergic to them and looks like we beat the crap out of him when he gets bit. Main area I'm trying to keep them away from is the front porch. He gets ate up from front porch to the truck every morning and now they are getting in the house when the front door is opened.

I have mowed, there is no standing water anywhere. As for products I have the tiki torch canisters with citronila fluid, I have a repel candle, I've even went as far as spraying off all over the front door and the cement on the porch. No difference either. Also have a electric bug zapper hanging down

Any ideas please tell me!

Thanks

Old 09-20-2016, 01:21 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Spray, spray, spray! Yeah I know. Everybody hates spray. But I can tell you for a fact that the bat boxes, citroniella plants and candles and bug lights DON'T do a thing for mosquitoes. OTOH you could put up a martin house. I've heard that they help. Bats DO eat mosquitoes but not the type that bother people.

Range on the aedes aegypti mosquito, which is the one that carries Zika, Yellow Fever, etc is supposed to be about 150 yards so you have to spray a lot bigger larger area than just your porch. If you're SERIOUS about it then get one of the professional (NOT HOME OWNER trash grade) mosquitoes traps and find out what kind of mosquitoes you have before you waste a lot of time and money going after the wrong type.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had success with these. They aren't 100%,but if it isn't too windy, they seem to greatly reduce the amount of bites I get when camping and being back home.

https://www.amazon.com/Clip-Mosquito.../dp/B002AQK09I

There are also some that are a bit "stronger", f you dig around.

I'm so thankful that in Vancouver, there aren't any mosquito's, but as soon as you get into the woods, there are a ton of them.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:36 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
We have had alot of rain the last week, probably around 6 inches or so and the darn mosquitoes are out everywhere. My son is very allergic to them and looks like we beat the crap out of him when he gets bit. Main area I'm trying to keep them away from is the front porch. He gets ate up from front porch to the truck every morning and now they are getting in the house when the front door is opened.

I have mowed, there is no standing water anywhere. As for products I have the tiki torch canisters with citronila fluid, I have a repel candle, I've even went as far as spraying off all over the front door and the cement on the porch. No difference either. Also have a electric bug zapper hanging down

Any ideas please tell me

Thanks
Move to Louisiana for a few years and build up an immunity!!

Old 09-22-2016, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by PawPaw
Move to Louisiana for a few years and build up an immunity!!
Haa! Try Florida! The REAL Florida, not The Villages or Dismal World! Louisiana mosquitoes are gnats in comparison. My father once told me that when he worked at the airport that they had one land on the runway and they put on 10,000 pounds of fuel before they realized that it wasn't an airplane!

Old 09-22-2016, 11:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by joe51
Haa! Try Florida! The REAL Florida, not The Villages or Dismal World! Louisiana mosquitoes are gnats in comparison. My father once told me that when he worked at the airport that they had one land on the runway and they put on 10,000 pounds of fuel before they realized that it wasn't an airplane!
Yeah, and the roaches are so big they have plates hanging off of them.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:03 PM
Try breaking down at nightfall in a swamp or marsh in South Louisiana. You'll be running back to Florida!

These are where the REAL Swamp People live!!

Last edited by PawPaw; 09-23-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:11 PM
I'm just a few miles from this area...fishing camps at Lake Fields behind Lockport and Mathews.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:17 PM

Any ideas please tell me!

Thanks
This will keep them away!!

Old 09-23-2016, 08:55 PM
They have gotten better the last day or 2. Of course tomorrow and Sunday they are predicting another 5 inches.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:06 PM
This will keep them away!!
Get a tape of her YOWLING when she was in Orlando last week. I haven't seen a mosquito since she was here.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:34 PM
They have gotten better the last day or 2. Of course tomorrow and Sunday they are predicting another 5 inches.
5 inches of rain is a lawn sprinkling in Louisiana!!

Old 09-24-2016, 04:41 PM
Get a tape of her YOWLING when she was in Orlando last week. I haven't seen a mosquito since she was here.
Bet she would fit right in at Disneyworld...right next to Goofy!!

Old 09-24-2016, 08:44 PM
5 inches of rain is a lawn sprinkling in Louisiana!!
5 inches here is like a cat 5 hurricane in Louisiana

Old 09-24-2016, 10:25 PM
Try looking at some place that sells GOOD horse supplies. A friend's dad had a system for flies that had a timer on it and it misted some kind of fly spray. They might have something that will work or could be adapted.

I don't know if they have a vector control program in Texas, but if they do contact them and see what they can suggest.

Oh yea, see about getting him some yeast supplement vitamins, it can change his "natural" aroma so the little buggers aren't as attracted to him.

Quick Reply: How to get rid mosquitoes?