1997 - 2003 F-150

sluggish accleration

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sluggish accleration

Wondering if it's just because it is a truck or what but my 5.4L 330ci. Triton is a DOG. No acceleration to speak of. have to mash the accelerator to get moving. What are your experiences 01F150 Lariat 4x4

Old 08-25-2016, 07:59 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Get your cats and the rest of the exhaust system checked for blockage and excessive backpressure.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:08 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
When I bought my 2002 in 2009 it was weak, definitely much weaker than the 2000 5.4 I previously owned. The po had moved to a double wide on a dirt road after losing his beach house during the recession. I checked the air filter and it was the dirtiest filter I've ever seen, still the original at 69k miles. Changing the filter boosted the power considerably. It was then not quite as strong as my previous 2000. I then installed a Superchips program and it gave it a big boost making it stronger than the 2000. I also went through the truck and changed all of its fluids and added a couple of bottles of Gumout fuel injection cleaner for high mileage engines. After the superchips it ran strong and still does from 0 to 60. 142k now.

You don't say how many miles are on yours. It could have low compression, dirty MAF, low fuel pressure, clogged cats, many things. How many miles on the spark plugs? The auto stores have loaner fuel injection test gauges.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:24 AM
175,000 miles

Old 08-28-2016, 07:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 02' has almost 189k miles....& still has plenty of zip yet.

Is this a "New to you" truck , or have you had it for some time now?

Does it seem to run OK? Is there a "CEL" ( Check Engine Light) lit on the dash?

How long has this been going on? Did this come on sudden or a slow and steady decline?

I agree with Roadie...start simple, filters, a compression check and fuel pressure check, then spark plugs , then fluids , etc...and work your way up the food chain possibilities till ya get to what GLC suggested.

The other thought I might add is the rear emergency brakes are not functioning as they should & causing excessive drag?

Last edited by enriched; 08-28-2016 at 07:33 PM. Reason: more q's
Old 08-29-2016, 09:47 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
The brakes are a great idea to check. Check the temperatures of the wheels. These trucks are notorius for having collapsing hoses that cause the brakes to drag. I recently got tired of fighting dragging brakes and replaced almost everything in the system, 5 flex hoses, all four calipers, master cylinder, part of the parking brake line and cleaned and lubed the parking brake mechanism.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by Roadie
The brakes are a great idea to check. Check the temperatures of the wheels. These trucks are notorius for having collapsing hoses that cause the brakes to drag. I recently got tired of fighting dragging brakes and replaced almost everything in the system, 5 flex hoses, all four calipers, master cylinder, part of the parking brake line and cleaned and lubed the parking brake mechanism.

just how hot are we looking at.....hot to the touch, too hot to touch? I have had dragging brakes before but it was so obvious that there was no ignoring it.

ken

Quick Reply: sluggish accleration