2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rim and tire fell off

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rim and tire fell off

Ok so I took my 3 yr old 50k mile Lariat 4wD into the dealer to have a brake job completed on Friday morning at 7. They couldn't finish it before a prior engagement I had so I agreed to scoop it on Saturday. Well, Saturday morning comes around, they call and say 1 lug nut was not tightened and the rim tilted and was broke. I am nowhere near as mechanically inclined as most of you guys, so I ask what all NEEDS to be replaced and what just needs to be checked over by my dealer? They have put me in a base 4 door new f150 from Enterprise. I forgot how spoiled I am in the Lariat, and am not too happy about the rental truck either. Thanks for yalls advice!

Old 07-25-2016, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless you were jumping curbs, I don't see how one lug nut being loose could cause that. As long as the other 5 were torqued to spec, it should've been fine. Sounds to me like some one ********* up and is trying to cover their a**, but I've been wrong before. Hell, I remember Firestone shearing off one of the lugs from my dads car years ago, had the other 4 on there until the day he sold, which was roughly 4 years, and 80k miles after the fact. Never had any issues.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:52 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Needs a new hub flange (or atleast all new studs) on the effected corner

Rotor and Caliper inspected

Wheel inspected and replaced as necessary. (Damage to inside of the wheel barrel as well as the inside lug holes)

Quick once over on fender, fender liner, other nearby suspension parts that could have hit wheel or ground

Old 07-26-2016, 01:29 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Please elaborate on "the rim tilted and was broke". There's no way that I know of that messing up one lug could do that. I think you need to take the vehicle to a good PROFESSIONAL shop and have it thoroughly inspected! FYI I have seen tire shops mess up a LOT of lugs by over or under tightening and by cross threading them! The rims and wheel hubs need to be inspected for warping and the lugs and nuts need to be inspected for cross threaded or partially stripped threads. Need to do that on EVERY wheel that they touched.

PS the shop should be 100% responsible for any needed repairs.

Last edited by joe51; 07-26-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:21 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
My guess ..... is that a mechanic had put the wheels on the hubs and just installed one lug nut loosely to keep them from falling off while it was on the lift .... then maybe distracted by a phone call or other mechanic or service manager ..... forgot to install the other 5 and tighten before dropping the lift.

Quick Reply: Rim and tire fell off