04 FX4 - 5.4L - No Fuel, stumble/won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 01:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 FX4 - 5.4L - No Fuel, stumble/won't start.

Had this same issue 9-10 months ago... replaced the fuel pump driver module that is located under the spare tire. The old ones corrode out due to Ford putting aluminum against steel. The new one is a Dorman model with rubber standoffs and is only about 2 months old.

So this time I drove about 360 miles away from home and everything was fine. The week prior I was even hauling 3-4 sq yards of gravel in a dump trailer to my property for an entire 8 hour day back and forth. So it was running well.

On the return trip I drove about 60 miles and spent the night on the side of the road... started the truck up fine and drove down the road. Got to a gas station 240 miles away from home, filled the tank up (was at 1/4 a tank). After filling up it started really rough, idled at 300-400 RPMs and then died about 10 seconds later. I had to be pushed out of the gas pump. It started up again a few times and enough for me to get about 100 feet into the road and on the side of the highway. It started a few more times and then clearly wasn't getting any fuel, turned over fine but no ignition.

The only things left that I'm aware could be an issue is the fuel pump, electrical (door sill or wire harness). I don't hear the fuel filter kicking on when turning the key to the on-position.

I changed the fuel filter less than 1000 miles ago when the issue originally occurred. After this truck sat through the winter I changed our the fuel pump driver module and it started right up, we heard the pump kick in too.

Last edited by Haemon; 07-25-2016 at 01:50 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:08 PM
checked for continuity?

Old 08-24-2016, 06:05 PM
If the tank is full you might not hear the pump running. Are you sure you didn't get bad gas? If there was water in it you might not get ignition. Have you checked the ign and pump fuses?

Quick Reply: 04 FX4 - 5.4L - No Fuel, stumble/won't start.