2015 - 2020 F-150

Curious about Sport Moe with the 3.5 Ecoboost...

Old 06-27-2016, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curious about Sport Moe with the 3.5 Ecoboost...

Please don't shoot me for not doing an in-depth search as this has probably been discussed before...but...the OM states that in Sport Mode the tranny is basically more aggressive...but it feels like the engine mapping is more aggressive as well? It's really peppy in Sport mode and hard to believe it's just the tranny mapping doing this...

I'm REALLY impressed with this Ecoboost engine, been a V8 guy for years and the performance of the Ecoboost smokes the 5.0 I had in my 13 Platinum!!

Old 06-28-2016, 12:01 PM
subbing!

Old 06-28-2016, 12:22 PM
maybe they change the throttle mapping to make it feel like a more aggressive engine tuning?

and the sport modes typically hold a lower gear longer and downshift faster.
Although with the ecoboost torque you can go in any gear!

Old 06-28-2016, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by mkosu04
maybe they change the throttle mapping to make it feel like a more aggressive engine tuning?

and the sport modes typically hold a lower gear longer and downshift faster.
Although with the ecoboost torque you can go in any gear!
That's what I suspect as it "feels" very similar to Sport mode in my other car. I traded an RR Evoque that had Sport mode and you could tell it was only more aggressive transmission mapping and no difference in throttle.

thx!

Old 06-28-2016, 09:45 PM
It keeps the truck in boosted RPM range so the throttle will definitely feel more peppy as it's intended to do. It also rev-matches as the truck down shifts akin to the sport mode in the mustang....the truck IS quicker in S mode....I ran it on the quarter mile in both modes launching at the same RPM. it's nearly a 2 tenth difference in the 1/4 mile and the truck seems to come to life in S mode around town. The only time I'm in regular mode is on the highway cruising, I don't mind the slight gas mileage decrease in mixed driving. See below from Ford's site.

The feature works by changing the frequency of gearshifts, so the truck stays in the “sweet” spot of the powerband and holds lower gears longer to make driving more fun. That means less shifting on engaging drives, such as twisty roads with rolling hills. Instead of shifting gears up and down for peak efficiency, the transmission holds a specific gear longer to make driving more responsive and spirited.
Sport mode reduces the frequency of having to step on the gas pedal to reach peak torque – resulting in quicker acceleration with less pedal travel. The truck feels more responsive to the driver’s pedal inputs. When combined with the transmission changes, the result is an on-demand performance feel similar to what an aftermarket modification might add to the truck, but with the benefit of maintaining the Ford vehicle warranty.
An advanced feature of F-150’s six-speed automatic transmission is its ability to match engine rpm as it downshifts in slowing for a corner. Electronics calibration for this feature comes straight out of Mustang.
“Sport mode keeps the engine operating in the desired power and torque ranges, or what we like to call the ‘sweet’ spot,” explained Jungbluth. “It makes Mustang come alive, and we feel it does the same thing in F-150.”
Sport mode is similar to F-150’s tow/haul mode, which also changes shift points under acceleration, keeping the truck at a higher rpm and further up in the power range while driving over rolling terrain for an improved towing experience. The technology limits the transmission from shifting up when the vehicle crests a hill, and provides downhill brake support that allows engine-compression braking to slow the vehicle and maintain a steady speed.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:50 PM
Nice quote Sonic and thank you!! Sport mode really does wake the truck up around town and I still can't believe how little turbo lag this 3.5L engine has!!

Old 06-29-2016, 10:52 PM
I was also curious about engine mapping. I can say at the very least the parameters of the throttle input are more sensitive. You can validate this by maintaining throttle position and toggling through the modes. When you hit sport the truck pulls harder with out giving it more throttle, even though it hasn't down shifted. It also seems to hold onto the boost longer with out dumping off the pressure. Im vented to atmosphere so I can hear when it blows off.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by nickbrumaghim
I was also curious about engine mapping. I can say at the very least the parameters of the throttle input are more sensitive. You can validate this by maintaining throttle position and toggling through the modes. When you hit sport the truck pulls harder with out giving it more throttle, even though it hasn't down shifted. It also seems to hold onto the boost longer with out dumping off the pressure. Im vented to atmosphere so I can hear when it blows off.
Cool, this engine is really quick (for a truck) seriously!! This is my 4th F-150 since 2005 and it's definitely the quickest of the bunch (by far)!!

Old 07-11-2016, 08:25 AM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just purchased a 2.7L Screw with sport mode. Will be checking it out after break in mileage is over.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Curious about Sport Moe with the 3.5 Ecoboost...