Hard start/ No start issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard start/ No start issues

Hey all, i am completely stumped on a 2000 ford with a 5.4 ltr auto 4wd truck. Initially the ECU was bad so i replaced the ECU. Once i replaced the ECU the truck fired right up. I checked the fuel pressure once the vehicle got running an it was low ( after about 45 min of running at idle the fuel pressure would drop to 26 psi). I replace the fuel pump and filter and the truck has an insanely hard start and sometimes no start. Today the truck fired right up and ran great. When i tap the throttle the idle hangs at about 1800rpms for roughly 45 seconds and this happens repeatedly. When I shut the truck off and go to restart it it will either not start at all, attempt to start but not start, or it will take a long time to start. At this point I really need some help getting this thing figured out. If you can help in any way please let me know thanks.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:46 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Have you confirmed good fuel pressure all the time with the new pump and filter? I don't know if your truck has a throttle position sensor? Just guessing here. I'm no expert.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:47 PM
The constant fuel pressure is great at idle and key on and off. This morning i came in and went to start the truck and it started right up and ran but the idle was high at 1200rpms. I let the truck run for about 30 minutes then turned the truck off and waited roughly 2 minutes and went to restart the truck. I cranked the truck over for roughly 45 seconds continuously. The truck would attempt to start but wouldnt. Then at about the 45 second mark the truck fired up with a high idle. I am at a loss with this truck. I have been a ford truck for over 15 years and have not ran into this problem before.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:53 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Vacuum leak? That could explain your symptoms

Even the fuel pressure regulator is vacuum controlled

Old 06-28-2016, 01:07 PM
have checked for both a vacuum leak as well as tried different test with vacuum off and on the fuel pressure regulator

Quick Reply: Hard start/ No start issues