1997 - 2003 F-150

Is it just me, or is this section dying?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 11:57 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Is it just me, or is this section dying?

It seems pretty much all we get these days are one post wonders asking to solve problems that could have been resolved by searching. I swear it used to be more active and entertaining.

I guess we have just done all the mods we are going to do, or have moved on to different platforms. I hardly ever drive my truck. I bought a few solar battery tenders and now the F150 mostly just sits in the sun on life support... The clearcoat is peeling and the silver is fading. I wish I had an 8 car garage. These days it just tows stuff or serves as a backup when I'm wrenching on the Viper and need to drive somewhere. I used the winch the other day to lift an AC unit on top of the RV, LOL...

Old 06-08-2016, 12:20 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
In other words, you are using it as a truck!

I bought my 02 when I was working temporary contract jobs and I got a supposedly long term job in Wisconsin in 2009. I didn't want to drive my rwd Magnum Hemi up there for the winters, so I looked around and bought my truck. The job only lasted 3 months in the spring. I did use it a lot on other jobs in VA and FL. But, now I'm retired and it gets driven very little. I mostly keep it to drive out on the beach and to tow my boat. I have no thoughts of selling it. But, if something happened to either my Magnum or truck, I wouldn't replace them.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not just you and it's not just this section. The whole site is pretty quiet and has been for some time.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This series is getting rather long in the tooth at 13-19 years old, and when used as a truck, most are getting pretty worn out by now. I think many people have moved on to newer models, as well. With some exceptions, if not gone, they're "just a truck," and the only time the forum is visited is if there's a problem. I know that was the case with my '99. After awhile I saw it is a means of transportation and hauling, and not the "prized possession" it was when I first got it. I kept it up for reliability, etc., but heck, I was lucky if it was washed once a quarter. That, and given that most issues have been covered multiple times in many threads, new subjects become fewer and far-betweener. This said, I just picked up a clean '03, hence my renewed interest and activity.

Andy

Old 06-08-2016, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by grizzstang
It's not just you and it's not just this section. The whole site is pretty quiet and has been for some time.
I'd have to agree with this, as well. F150online used to be about the only forum dedicated to the F150, and now there are several. Who knows why people might abandon one for another? When Googling for info, though, I got more hits directing me to FordTrucks.com than here, and actually considreed registering so I could interact there. That could be part of the reason(?).

Andy

Old 06-08-2016, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by OhioLariat
I was lucky if it was washed once a quarter.
It's been at least two years since mine has been washed.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:22 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Good you brought up the point.
This forum out of the three I post on is now the least active.
Over the long term I see several reasons why all the boards for this year range have run downward. They all will as a normal consequence of passing time.
1. Owners have moved on.
2. Most all the issues have been answered at one time or another and searches for these answers are bound to help others such that they don't post with an unsolved issue, if they have anything on the ball to make repairs..
3. The posts that do appear are from people who have little experience with mechanics or knowledge about what they own.
4. A look at the 04 and later boards are pathetic for issues and understanding of even more complex trucks and their systems the owners are trying to repair themselves and are far more removed to do it than on these 97-03 trucks.
5. Help on the later trucks will become less and less at the years go by due to the complexity.
My prediction is the time is fast approaching when an owner will be able to do little more than replace tires, shocks, wiper blades etc. and virtually nothing involving the engine or operating system, various body control items.
The reason is the complexity is getting so far removed from owner ability unless he expends the effort to study the system and understand them.
Then parts and test ability is still an issue.
As an example, battery management systems are getting beyond most owners when an issue arrives.
The 04 and later trucks appear to have more issues with such items as VCT (variable cam timing) faults, electrical issues with battery maintenance system issues, vibration issues and more.
Many of these issues seem to be carried over year to year without improvement.
My gut feeling is a management problem at the engineering level is trying too hard to get away with correcting these issues.
One very serious issue is vibration under load that has been going on since at least 2009.
You can't begin to know how an owner feels after laying out 45 to $65,000 on an F150 only to have vibration issue that for the most part are not correctable but an engineering issue that is not being addressed.
That places a dealer in the position of saying 'it's normal or within specs' that very often causes the owner much unhappiness.
I'm a bit sorry but if engineering can design the driveline, they can also test and resolve the issues, unless someone is dragging feet not to find the causes and responsibility for correction/costs of the many trucks that have already been sold with issues.
In this case, the dealers cannot be held responsible to such problems being only a sales and represenitive of the company. They cannot re-design or make unauthorized changes.
As much as I have given much assistance on the 97-03 trucks over the years, and seriously will not consider even a pre owned truck from 04 upward.
One big problem I have is the loaded complexity of the newer trucks trying to make them luxury car like and little option not the have all the trash as an option when purchasing new, that will have issues later on.
My feeling is this will take hold sometime and begin to limit sales.
The cost of these trucks are already out of sight let alone repairs on them.
A really good tech now needs to be paid accordingly for his ability on these systems just like the medical or computer profession.
I am not he first one to express this sentiments.

Thanks for reading.
Good luck.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 06-08-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm at a loss aswell. when I see a sticker price on a new truck, the first thing I think is price gouging and the big company that has lost it's ability to provide customer service. Society revolves around the internet and Personability/ relationships are a thing of the past. This is quickly becoming the most socially unsocial generation to date. With facebook and B.S. reality T.V. which reality is far from what is portrayed. So everyone go buy a 65,000 dollar truck, make 1000 dollar monthy payments watch the bachelor or bachelorette and believe life is good. Then you have Internet 110 lbs commandos in their grandmas basement that attack people on websites portraying themselves to be an expert on any subject and can kick everyones *** on the web drag **** down and ask more dumbass questions due to a severe lack of intelligence or a healthy dose of lazy entitlement. I have learned alot from a few people on this site, Bluegrass being one of them. I still have my truck and don't have any desire to bury my *** in debt or to keep up with the Jones'. The other sites have lots of arrogant know it alls and commandos and knowing who to believe is clear as mud. Good luck to you all. If I can help anyone thats not a asshat I will do my best to help.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:05 PM

It truly is amazing how expensive a new truck is. It's even more amazing how much trucks have become less and less like trucks. I have not had a car payment in many years - until I bought the 40' diesel pusher last month. Hopefully I can keep buying older stuff, fixing it myself, and lose little to nothing on depreciation.

I have learned a lot here myself. I still remember when I signed up in search of a 5.4 for my truck which I had picked up dirt cheap. I asked if it could be the cam phasers making the knock noise. I had searched, but obviously not enough.

jbrew
mgdfan
bluegrass
pat
sho89

..a few others. Thanks for the years of service.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:49 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
The new trucks have options that we couldn't dream of a few years ago. But now, everybody wants them. And all those cameras and high tech devices cost money when you buy the truck and when it gets banged up. Most of us wouldn't consider buying a new truck without power windows, power door locks, power door lock, etc. I don't know what a stripped down truck would cost but that might be what I would buy if I was in the market. As it is, I'm putting about 3k miles on my 02 per year and with only 135k miles on it, it should do me.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:04 PM
Today it just seems there is no common sense used by anyone.
Everyone want instantly to be told what the problem is and how to fix it.
it's a Liberal way of living, depend on some one else.
That being said, not much is learned by being supplied the answers all the time for every issue.
Go to a restaurant and watch the whole family have their faces in Ipads and hardly even talk to each other.
Walk down the street and bump into people or walk across the street with traffic moving, driving while looking or texting.
There is absolutely no excuse for such actions that cannot waist for a proper time.
For all that information, still they don't know much.
Why, because the basics are never leaned.
More specifically to motor vehicles,
the first level of interaction sensing that a problem may exist is drivability when some difference become apparent.
The second is some alarm indication such as a check engine indicator.
People ignore the CEL, try to clear it in hopes to evade the issue it is being set from.
Next level is a code set. Either the code is ignored, miss interpreted or results in parts changes hoping to hit it lucky. Most of the time, no luck.
Next level is the uses of a diagnostic tool called a Scanner.
Most do not have any background in it's uses or the data it can present.
The computer has more than 1000 codes stored for various issues detected.
Engineering provided a way to use the tool and interpret the results on these systems.
Thus, the posts on any board is just the first one or two indication levels.
Going beyond become a different ball game.
The newer the truck the worse it gets.
Good luck.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:28 PM
The 2016 owner manual has 412 pages and growing.
Tell you something?
G. L.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Roadie
The new trucks have options that we couldn't dream of a few years ago. But now, everybody wants them. And all those cameras and high tech devices cost....
I never believed I'd have my '99 for ten years, thinking "I'll replace it in a couple years" most every year. For this reason, I made functional mods like additional lighting, 4x2 low mode, tonneau cover, an F250 trans cooler, and temp gauge, but other than some window tint, and a couple of Craigslist door speakers, I basically just kept it in good running condition.

My new '03 will enjoy some of the updates from the' 99, and although the miles are a bit high (160K), it's in great shape. I'm *planning* to keep this one awhile, so over time I'm looking at adding some "modern" amenities such as an upgraded stereo system with backup camera and bluetooth, alarm with remote start, 1-touch windows, and seat heaters.

Would I like a new Raptor? Sure. I'd also be happy with a 2012-ish Ecoboost FX4. But I wouldn't be happy with the purchase prices *or* the insurance payments.

I think the age of "instant gratification" is diminishing the number of people who enjoy doing, and would rather buy. That, and the complexity of vehicles in general mentioned above.

Andy

Last edited by OhioLariat; 06-08-2016 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
also part of it is social media. with all these groups on facebook, people can ask questions and get answers almost instantly or within a couple hours, instead of waiting several days for an answer on a forum.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm seeing less and less 10th gens on the road as the days go by.

Quick Reply: Is it just me, or is this section dying?