2015 - 2020 F-150

Mystery Unlocking truck

Old 06-03-2016, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mystery Unlocking truck

So this pos keeps unlocking itself.

I have been double checking too.

Ford probably wont replace the few bucks in loose change and pistol but will they fix the key fob or whatever is causing this?

Known problem?

Old 06-03-2016, 12:25 PM
Have to ask...

Are you keeping the key fob in your front pocket, back pocket or out on a table?

Are both key fobs outside the truck?

What model do you have? (XLT, Lariat, Limited, etc.)

Old 06-03-2016, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by KahdirJ
Have to ask...

Are you keeping the key fob in your front pocket, back pocket or out on a table?

Are both key fobs outside the truck? Fobs outside the truck.

What model do you have? (XLT, Lariat, Limited, etc.)
Lariat 2015

Last night, got out, hit the bottom 2 buttons on the door key pad and made sure it was locked. Walked into house and up one flight of stairs and put the keys down on the table. Was wearing basketball/jogging pants, had keys in the front pocket.

Not man handling the keys or anything.

Truck is routinly unlocked. I have been making the point of hitting the lock button on the key fob and seeing the light from the truck as well. Been doing what I can.

Also the truck has a leak in the rear door. Will be going in the second time for it. Maybe a short.

Not happy.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:34 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Never heard of this problem. Is there any possibility that someone has the code?

Old 06-03-2016, 02:05 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
How are you determining it is unlocked?

Does the truck have keyless access (where key just need to be present near door handle)?

Old 06-03-2016, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Never heard of this problem. Is there any possibility that someone has the code?
No, also live alone right now in a new house and no animals. House alarm was set last night.

Really think it is the key fob or short from the water leak.

It keeps happening and I am double checking.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
How are you determining it is unlocked?

Does the truck have keyless access (where key just need to be present near door handle)?
It is like unlocked. You can see it.

Plus someone rummaged through it last night.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:28 PM
Do you carry around your second key?

If not is it kept in the truck or somewhere in the house?

A short could be a possibility or the SecuriCode might be bugged/gltched out

One thing is for sure, the buttons on my XLTs key fob seem more sensitive than my previous gen Mustang, Camaro & Jeep.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:55 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I would buy another key fob and try it (they're cheap on E-bay). Put the original key fob(s) in sealed metal can like a cookie tin so that it can't POSSIBLY trigger the unlock. If the problem persist then take the truck back to the stealership and start the Lemon Law return process. ANY vehicle that won't stay locked is USELESS IMO.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by joe51
I would buy another key fob and try it (they're cheap on E-bay). Put the original key fob(s) in sealed metal can like a cookie tin so that it can't POSSIBLY trigger the unlock. If the problem persist then take the truck back to the stealership and start the Lemon Law return process. ANY vehicle that won't stay locked is USELESS IMO.
It needs to go to the dealership anyway, might take it today. Trying to set an appointment.

Might just clean it out and see if it happens again over the weekend. But something is definately up. Certainly been checking it because it seems to be happening pretty often.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:40 PM
" sealed metal box " what we call a Faraday cage protects from stray or intentional electric signals .
A German car club recently tested many brands of cars. They found that with a DIY tool made with easily bought parts you could open, start , and drive most of the cars away !!! NICE !
Like gadgets ??

Old 06-03-2016, 08:13 PM
Well, my plan of action is to change key fobs to the second one and put this one some where it won't get touched.

Also, good news is I found the pistol as I remembered I luckily took it out when it went in for a windshield last week. I put it in my other truck.

Only loss it seems like was around $10 in 1s, some change, and cleaning up the tornado of **** scattered out from the person that went into it last night. I still need to clean up the back seat area. I guess I could take pics if I go out later, kinda comical really.

I guess my only advice is to say this key fob is sensitive or the water coming into the cab from the leak is causing a short. I will get it put in the shop next week and hope they fix it.

I doubt it was a "pro" job, as they only got a few bucks and made a mess. They left the truck, probably a bum since I live in downtown. Guess I will get anything of value out this weekend just to be sure though.

Last edited by joe t.; 06-03-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:52 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
When you get out, put both key fobs in a metal box. If it unlocks then you know it isn't the keys.

We've all read about people who have devices that capture the signal frequency when the key fob is used and then can open your vehicle.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joe t.
Well, my plan of action is to change key fobs to the second one and put this one some where it won't get touched.

Also, good news is I found the pistol as I remembered I luckily took it out when it went in for a windshield last week. I put it in my other truck.

Only loss it seems like was around $10 in 1s, some change, and cleaning up the tornado of **** scattered out from the person that went into it last night. I still need to clean up the back seat area. I guess I could take pics if I go out later, kinda comical really.

I guess my only advice is to say this key fob is sensitive or the water coming into the cab from the leak is causing a short. I will get it put in the shop next week and hope they fix it.

I doubt it was a "pro" job, as they only got a few bucks and made a mess. They left the truck, probably a bum since I live in downtown. Guess I will get anything of value out this weekend just to be sure though.
You didn't come home drunk by chance, did you?

Old 06-04-2016, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
You didn't come home drunk by chance, did you?
Ha no. Came home from the gym actually.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mystery Unlocking truck