2015 - 2020 F-150

Intermitent problems w Sync radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermitent problems w Sync radio

Bought a 2016 xl with equipment group 101A, which I believe is the cheapest radio with CD player.

The next week the radio would not work. No image on screen or volume control. I put in a cd and it would play but that's all, still no screen image. When I cut the key off and opened the door the cd kept on playing for almost a minute instead of going off, then worked ok for a while.
The dealer said that the tech could not find anything wrong. This has happened several times since then but I could not get it back to the dealer to have them see it when it happened. When it happened again and I was back it town I took it to the dealer and the service writer saw what was going on, this time the screen was not blank just very dim, along with the other problems.

Dropped it off again this AM and the service guy said still can't find what the problem is. He has seen the malfunction when I made the 2nd appt. WTF. Do I have to wait until it completely gets fried for them to fix it?

I have searched on here but could not find any problems remotely close to mine, so has anyone had this problem or have heard anything related to my problem?

Thanks in advance for any help or advise you can share.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:02 PM
Ford Customer Service
Hi cbarlow,

Have you tried a master reset: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...ter-reset.html Let me know, so we can move forward.

Shaay

Old 05-23-2016, 01:46 PM
Hi Shaay, this is the 2nd trip to the dealer's service dept., I would of thought they would do this. Or is this something I need to do when the problem arises and I am operating the vehicle?

Are you saying it is a SYNC problem and not the radios?

You need to explain why you think this will help after I took it to the dealers service dept.

Not trying to be sarcastic just not a techie kind of guy.

thanks

Old 05-23-2016, 02:13 PM
Ford Customer Service
It's quite possible that a master reset was already performed at the dealer, cbarlow. However, there's no way for me to know exactly what they've tried. The master reset will fix certin software glitches. Without me having access to the vehicle, I'm unable to pinpoint the issue to SYNC or the radio. It won't hurt to do the reset even if it's been done at the dealer.

Shaay

Old 05-23-2016, 09:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the problem intermittently with a 2015 XLT 300A. It's got the same radio as your truck. My issue is that bluetooth just stops working. Make sure the firmware and sync is updated. You can get it from Fords website. I think it's a known issue.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:30 AM
I have a 2016 XL with the 101A package and for the last week, the bluetooth and Sync had been acting up. The day before yesterday, it stopped playing media altogether and wouldn't pass audio for the phone, either.

The Sync was version 5.8 (from the factory) so I upgraded it to 5.9 and it's been working fine, since (since yesterday, that is).

You can upgrade the software yourself, but the instructions are horrible and didn't match the menus or prompts on my system. It took some experimenting to get it to start loading, but once it started it was finished about 20 minutes later. All you need is a USB memory stick.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:51 PM
Update

Thanks everyone.

My dealer replaced the screen as they said other dealers have had the same problem.

Only time will tell. I will update this if it happens again.

thanks

Old 06-10-2016, 08:16 PM
Here you go

I own a 2016 exlt 302A

Same problem screen blacks out or letter/words go away. And no button work.
Resolve temp.

Hold the power button for radio press and hold left and right arrows (on the left and right side of the media button) hold all 3 down until the screen comes back on or you hear sound again. That is a Master reset from "sync" they could not answer why it does it.
Mine actually will show the climate controls at times and that option isn't for the xlt. But it's good to know that it's in there yet ford blocks it from us. And it's fully functional when it does appear

Old 06-18-2016, 02:31 PM
Thanks Jae but I didn't pay $35k so I could ride around reprogramming the radio.

It has happened 2 more times since they replaced the screen. Service guy says no one else at any ford dealer is having this problem.

I told him when it happens again during working hours that I will bring it to them and have their tech jump on it to find the problem. He didn't like it but agreed.

I have had it back to them several times but this will be the 3rd documented visit.

He then said maybe I should do the lemon law paperwork. His attitude was not his problem and I was on my own.

I am amazed at his attitude.

Old 06-18-2016, 02:42 PM
Wow

That's something you don't hear often the dealer telling you to file for a lemon lol.
I have to bring mine into the shop but I am limited on availability. The paint job is awful and I noticed that the carpet under the dash is missing the peices that secure the carpet to the floor also my glove box rattles.
It's all small stuff, but like you said we didn't pay all this $ to have stuff missing or breaking already with less then 3 months of ownership

Old 07-28-2016, 06:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I reported a while back in this thread and in the SYNC forum here that I have been having intermittent issues where bluetooth just stopped working or bluetooth audio stopped working.

Well, Tuesday, it stopped working and all of the workarounds I have tried in the past failed to work. It was also getting an error "bluetooth not enabled, do you want to turn bluetooth on" display message. You select yes, and it does nothing. You try to pair a phone and it says "bluetooth initializing, please wait". And then fails.

I did master reset of sync, unpaired phones, unplugged battery, everything.

So I FINALLY took it to the dealer, had a 2:30p appointment and the "sync guy" wasnt there, even though I specifically made an appointment to have my radio, specifically SYNC issues looked at. Anyway, he didn't show up till 4pm, which is another story...

At 6pm, they came and got me, said the bluetooth APIM module had failed. Apparently this is the electronic part of the radio which handles bluetooth. It had failed. They have one one order for hopefully next week...

So mine had been doing this off and on since I got it. Maybe once a month. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

But just letting you know this may be the issue if you get these symptoms.

Quick Reply: Intermitent problems w Sync radio