Grinding Noise when Accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grinding Noise when Accelerating

I drive a 2005 F150 XLT Supercrew 5.4 L with 143K. Whenever I accelerate there is a grinding sound, the grinding happens in 4wd and 2wd. I'm having trouble figuring out what it could be because after reading post on IWE's the problem only seems to happen in 2wd.

I did replace the IWE solenoid because it was the old model without the rain shield. After replacing the solenoid and turning the dial to put it in 4 low the light shows up on the dash (it didn't for a period of time before hand).

Any ideas? much appreciated

Old 05-17-2016, 12:04 AM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
It could still be the IWE's - read this thread:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...then-some.html

Old 05-17-2016, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by glc
It could still be the IWE's - read this thread:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...then-some.html
I wanted to see if anyone else had any other ideas. I have read that thread but thanks!

Not sure if this is a related issue to my grinding noise. But I get this humming that seems to happen at every wheel revolution. Could this be related? I just noticed it after changing the solenoid 2 days ago.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Shot in the dark here.......The motor produces no vac when accelerating, Check ALL the vac lines and the reservoir for cracks. The ones around the battery seem to take the worst beating. Check both the hard and rubber ones. It sounds like you don't have enough "reserve" vacuum to keep the IWE's disengaged while accelerating, but enough under cruise conditions.

Like I said, a shot in the dark. Good luck

Old 07-11-2016, 10:11 PM
I figured out the problem. Ended up being the IWE on the driver's side, it wouldn't hold vacuum because the seal was torn. It was an easy fix and truck sounds better now

Old 07-24-2016, 11:45 AM
New solenoid, actuator, still grinding

I have replaced the solenoid, checked the vaccum lines, and I put on a new actuator. What else could I check? I put a vacuum tester on my the lines going into the actuators It's getting 20" on the passenger side and 15" on the driver side. Idk what else to do. The passenger side is grinding the worse.

Quick Reply: Grinding Noise when Accelerating