Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on the Bedrug

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 01:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
School me on the Bedrug

I just picked up an '03 XLT with a Leer fiberglass bed cover and Bedrug installed. My first thought was to 86 both of them in favor of the Extang Full-Tilt soft tonneau from my '99 and Line-X. I love the easy on/off of the Extang cover (14 pounds instead of 140), but the security (and the look) of the Leer has me thinking.

As for the Bedrug, I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around carpet in a compartment that's going to haul firewood, slash, gravel, dirt, and trash. Are these things really *that* durable? What about cleaning? I could use a broom to sweep out the back of my Line-X'd '99 then hit it with the hose, but I don't think the wife would be keen on me using the household Hoover to suck up bark/gravel/dirt/etc. off the truck rug.

So......School me on the benefits and detriments, please?

Thanks,

Andy

Old 05-06-2016, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OhioLariat
I just picked up an '03 XLT with a Leer fiberglass bed cover and Bedrug installed. My first thought was to 86 both of them in favor of the Extang Full-Tilt soft tonneau from my '99 and Line-X. I love the easy on/off of the Extang cover (14 pounds instead of 140), but the security (and the look) of the Leer has me thinking.

As for the Bedrug, I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around carpet in a compartment that's going to haul firewood, slash, gravel, dirt, and trash. Are these things really *that* durable? What about cleaning? I could use a broom to sweep out the back of my Line-X'd '99 then hit it with the hose, but I don't think the wife would be keen on me using the household Hoover to suck up bark/gravel/dirt/etc. off the truck rug.

So......School me on the benefits and detriments, please?

Thanks,

Andy

I love my bed rug. I also love it even more since my zippers broke and they sent me a brand new one for free! Mine was 9 yes old!
Anyways I vacuum mine out when need be I have a bed mat over the main part.
If it need a good cleaning you can simply hose it out. It have a thick foam pad underneath it.
If you don't like it take it out and sell it! But I love mine.

Old 05-07-2016, 05:28 PM
I had a bedrug in my first truck, and I don't think I would ever get another one.

It looks great, provides better protection if you haul around delicate items due to it's carpeted nature, but a soon as you are going to use your truck as a truck and haul something dirty you're gonna be cursing it. It is possible to clean it, but people always looked at me funny when I was vacuuming out the box of my truck.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've not dumped a load of bark mulch or dirt, sand or any other substance on my bedrug, but I love it for what I use it for....

I have a flip top canopy cover and just haul camping stuff and other 'clean' stuff in it.

If i haul 'dirty' stuff, I just use my 4x8 utility trailer with a #2000 weight cap.

Works for 2 yards of bark mulch or a yard of dirt or sand or a pallet of bricks..

Anyway, I saw vids of them dumping dirt and spilling oil and other nasty stuff on the bedrug and they basically used a pressure washer to clean it up afterward.

It's not supposed to soak up water or liquids.

I love mine, but I use it for other purposes that the bedrug works well for me. When I do need to clean it because of the firewood and other stuff that goes in there, I use my shop vac..

Good luck!

Mitch

Last edited by MitchF150; 05-07-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by Wyseilmykkar_09
I had a bedrug in my first truck, and I don't think I would ever get another one.

It looks great, provides better protection if you haul around delicate items due to it's carpeted nature, but a soon as you are going to use your truck as a truck and haul something dirty you're gonna be cursing it. It is possible to clean it, but people always looked at me funny when I was vacuuming out the box of my truck.
Yeah I get a LOT of looks when I'm vaccuming mine out!!!

Old 05-10-2016, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll likely pull it and sell, but may wait until I can afford the spray-in liner.

Andy

Old 05-10-2016, 04:05 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Just a question, how hard is it to remove and replace the BedRug if you were going to transport some especially "messy" stuff?

Just as an FYI, my bed is Line-Xed, but I also have a rubber bed mat in it which is very kind on my knees if I have to crawl in. It's also easy to remove an wash off if needed. The Line-X protects the sides of the bed without using up space.

This is probably overkill for most people, but it works for me.

- Jack

Old 05-10-2016, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Just a question, how hard is it to remove and replace the BedRug if you were going to transport some especially "messy" stuff?

Just as an FYI, my bed is Line-Xed, but I also have a rubber bed mat in it which is very kind on my knees if I have to crawl in. It's also easy to remove an wash off if needed. The Line-X protects the sides of the bed without using up space.

This is probably overkill for most people, but it works for me.

- Jack
Jake the bed run tucks in underneath the bed rails and the rest is held on by Velcro or hook and loop. Aka Velcro.
Once installed this bed rug stays put! Also it has a heavy duty zipper system were the sides meet the floor.
Also I have the factory Harley bed mat over it.

Last edited by 07massHD; 05-10-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:18 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
OK, that sounds like more hassle than it's worth to take out and reinstall on a now and then basis.

It sounds, from what others have posted, that it's relatively easy to vacuum clean if needed. If that would be impractical, then a bed mat like 07massHD and I use would probably protect it.

The thing I like about Line-X is that along with protecting against scratches, it essentially rust-proofs the bed inside area. Drop-in liners can trap moisture, and, if dirt gets between the liner and the bed, it can cause scratches to the finish.

- Jack

Old 05-11-2016, 09:23 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Some guys haul dirt, rocks or fire wood with a Bedrug. They take it to a car wash and power wash it to clean it.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:19 PM
I absolutely love mine, after having my last truck Rhinoliner'd. The padding and fuzz is a dream on my kneecaps, when I'm loading up the band gear and shuffling things about.

I just did two hauls of 2000 pounds each, of concrete blocks. Pebbles and sandy grit everywhere back there. I can broom it out, but I found I just used my hand. Nice and simple. I bet a shop brush or a sticky roller would also work easily. And of course, Shop-Vac.

The BedRug is not a carpet. If it gets soaked, the water will flow through and under it, then drain out. If you open up the tonneau, it'll evaporate faster. As much as mine has been soaked, and never got stinky. That's key.

Ima cut a sheet of cardboard from a refrigerator box, so I can slide cargo over the fuzz! It'll be quite slick to unload gear. On top of Line-X or other spray liners, cardboard isn't as slippy-slidy. I think I just made that word up.

If I dumped paint in there, or did something truly messy, I'll just pull it out and garden hose it. The soft, cushioning protection it gives is too valuable for keeping my band gear padded and softly held in place.

Oh, and velcro LOVES BedRug! I have a wire coat hanger, gloves, and a 50ft length of marine grade rope all attached to the side walls of the bed. And they stay put! Ima see if I can stitch or rivet velcro to a few canvas zipper pouches, to store my ratchet straps in the same way.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:03 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I've had one in my 2003 since late 2009

Had to buy one for my 2014 3 days after I bought the truck. I take it camping, haul stuff, dogs, heavy stuff etc. No problems

From a couple weeks ago, Went and rescued a friend that broke down on the road

Name:  20160407_195352.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  314.3 KB

Went and hauled some concrete
Name:  20160410_140747.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  234.4 KB

They guarantee them from just about everything, including stains

Old 05-11-2016, 03:22 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Old 05-12-2016, 10:56 PM

Thanks for the additional information, guys. I'm now leaning toward keeping it and seeing how it does. I also got to see a cutaway of the material, and it's not what I expected. I see now why is so durable and clean-able. Some new velcro for the tailgate, and I'll be in business.

Andy

P. S. Does anyone know if the warranty is limited to the original purchaser?

Old 05-13-2016, 06:10 AM
Originally Posted by OhioLariat
Thanks for the additional information, guys. I'm now leaning toward keeping it and seeing how it does. I also got to see a cutaway of the material, and it's not what I expected. I see now why is so durable and clean-able. Some new velcro for the tailgate, and I'll be in business.

Andy

P. S. Does anyone know if the warranty is limited to the original purchaser?
^^^ No. Just call them and tell you what parts you need.

Quick Reply: School me on the Bedrug