2004 - 2008 F-150

2004 Ford F150 Fx4 No start diag

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Ford F150 Fx4 No start diag

Hey all, first of all thanks for any help I may get!
Truck in question is :
2004 Ford F150 (newstyle) 5.4L 3v 195k on it.

- History -
Bought truck last year with a bad transmisison and a "stalling" issue from someone very cheap. Only check engine code was "P0420"
I used the extra money to have the transmission rebuilt.

Basically I ripped the trans out myself and brought it to a local trans shop for rebuild / new torque convertor.
While I had it out i noticed the Brake booster line was pinched due to the rubber getting old. I replaced that out and re-installed the transmission.
At the same time Keep in mind I did (alot):
-- 4 New Tires
-- Fuel Filter
-- Fuel Pump Module Driver (replaced with dorman unit - old one was cracked)
-- Front and Rear brake pads / rotors
-- 2 Motorcraft VCT solenoids - One was missing screens.
-- Both Catalytic convertors (one is a magnaflow and the other is walker from autozone) not sure but i hope no issue with one highflow magnaflow with a stock cat. (drivers side bank is magnaflow and passenger bank is the walker direct replacement cat.
--Both rear wheel bearings + wheel seals w/ moblie 1 synth& motorcraft friction modifier
--Cleaned out the Throttle body and MAF
All of this was last year but Within 3000 miles (I worked locally till about last month now im starting to do about an hour worth of driving each trip.) So originnaly it wasnt driven all that much and now its driven ALOT!

Basically it was fine for about 6 months or so.
2 weeks ago I replaced all the ignition coils with Ford Motorcraft ones (not aftermarket read horror stories) no CEL's but i've been feeling what I think is a engine vibraiton/misfire. (a very low misfire) if thats what it is. So CEL's but truck seems to vibrate at weird times then even out (althought the tach's RPMS never seem to surge when i feel this.

Anyway, this morning went to start truck to warm it up and it kept cranking.
Went inside dumbfounded came out 10 minutes later and it fired right up.
Drove about an hour to work this morning and everything was fine.
After work I came out started my truck up and left - about 3 minutes down the road the idle started suring and it died. Wouldnt fire back up. Pushed it into a parking lot towed it home.

Played with the inertia switch, nothing. wouldnt fire.
Changed the inertia switch with my 2002 explorers - no change.
Plugged in OB2 scanner and No CEL illuminating but it did read P0191
"fuel rail pressure sensor"

At this point I need help. At this time I cant even afford to bring it to a dealership or shop at all. I could maybe purchase parts but thats it.
Im screwed. Need help bad. I think it may be the fuel pump causing this but I cant be sure need some help testing everything.
Thanks all.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:59 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
http://engine-codes.com/p0191_ford.html

Your new FPDM may be defective.

You replaced the coils without changing the spark plugs?

Old 03-12-2014, 10:09 PM
I have the spark plugs but I havent replaced them yet - I want to purchase the tool before to remove broken spark plugs before I get into it. Also just the fact about breaking sparkplugs ect just makes me nervous!
Either way, they cant be the reason its not starting since I dont even think the fuel is getting to them! hehe

Yea I was thinking it may be defective as well but it was perfect for about 6 months then this. Also its a "dorman" unit I read that the doman unit was 'updated' to a sealed case and came with grommets to space it from the frame.

Is there resistance numbers I can reference so I can check the driver module tomorow? pouring rain / possible snow today lol.

Also any #'s and procedures for checking my fuel pump with a multimeter?

lmk guys thanks!!

Old 03-12-2014, 10:14 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
The fuel pressure sensor is on the fuel rail - you should check that out. New ones aren't particularly cheap - aftermarket is about 85 bucks, OEM is over 300.

Can you hear the fuel pump priming for a couple seconds when you turn the key on?

Old 03-12-2014, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by glc
The fuel pressure sensor is on the fuel rail - you should check that out. New ones aren't particularly cheap - aftermarket is about 85 bucks, OEM is over 300.

Can you hear the fuel pump priming for a couple seconds when you turn the key on?
Tried but i was by myself and it was pouring rain so from inside the cab i heard nothing but tons of rain drops, lol.
If I had someone else to turn the key I would've tried to stick my head right under there near the tank to see if I could hear it. I'll have to try that tomorow if all this clears up.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:30 PM
So what ended up being the culprit of your no start condition????

Quick Reply: 2004 Ford F150 Fx4 No start diag