Towing & Hauling

Overheating ecoboost when towing

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overheating ecoboost when towing

I have a 2011 ecoboost with max tow (35,000 miles) and I keep getting the dash lighting up for overheating when I tow up a grade. I am pulling a 2012 Jayco Eagle 284BHS, which dry is 7,066 lbs, and when last scaled loaded was at 7,943. I had pulled this with my 2004 f150 a few times which pulled very well but worked a bit too hard for my comfort, then later upgraded to a new to me 2011.

On my last trip from Salt Lake City, UT to Bear Lake, ID the dang thing lit the dash up like Christmas 5 total times. The 1st time was on I-15 where it was fairly flat. I pulled over and it cooled very quickly. The other 4 times it was pulling up the canyon, and it was in the upper 90’s when this happened. It was even worse on the way back. We had left late in the evening and it was 78 degrees and I had to limp that bastard all of the way up Sardine canyon. There is no shoulder or pull offs, and traffic was blazing by. I was fit to be tied.

The next day I took it into the dealership to report the issues and show them the video I took of it with my phone. They inquired about fuel octane and I told them that is all the truck ever gets. They had it for 4 days and called me back to say that they couldn’t find any codes other than an overrev code (no idea how that ever happened) or couldn’t find any issues. They had contacted Ford, and the response that they were given was that this is a known issue with select F150 ecoboost trucks, and that there currently was no fix available. I am to check back every couple of weeks to see if any updates are available.

Anyone else have this problem, and if so what solutions were you able to find? I am pissed that I have the most capable half ton ever, but only on a cool day going downhill.

Last edited by Paulb04; 07-30-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:58 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
There are other threads here and all over the Internet about this issue.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v6...erheating.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...erheating.html

Old 07-30-2013, 10:59 AM
I did search for others that had this problem also, and did read the articles. There really do not seem to be many original threads on this, just the same folks posting their story over and over on different forums, and I have yet to read about anyone getting the issue taken care of other than trading the truck in. I am documenting another case, stating the issues my truck is having, adding the circumstances, and what I have found out by the dealership so far.

Last edited by Paulb04; 07-30-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:09 PM
I am just North of you in Idaho. I have 2013 Ecoboost with the Max tow as well. I had the same thing happen pulling over horseshoe bend hill out of Boise. I was pulling about 8000 lbs. It seems anytime it has a load with an extended length of boost on the turbos it can't dissipate the heat produced by the turbos. I love how it pulls except the heat issue. I took it in Yesterday and received the same reply you did. Ford is investigating the issue but they have no fix. Check back every month to see if there is a resolution.

I am with you. I absolutely love this truck except this overheat issue. It pulls like crazy and is awesome to drive. But like I told the dealer this truck is great except I can't use it. Hopefully something comes out soon to remedy it. Lets keep it alive on these forums so if ford happens to be looking at them they see this is a real problem. Not just a fluke a few of us have.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:58 AM
in two of the threads ive read on this. one of the guys was using the wrong octane and the other solved the problem by manually dropping it into 5 from 6. but that's all ive read

Old 08-02-2013, 11:00 AM
I was in third, so I really can't go down another gear and changing octane for me has not made a bit of difference. I really think ford has an issue here that they can't dissipate all the heat created by the turbos over an extended length of full boost. My theory at least is where they changed these turbos to a antifreeze cooled system from an oil cooled system they can't manage that much heat.

You would think during their 24 hour 10k lbs torture test under full boost would have raised this issue.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:04 AM
jdeacon, thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately neither one of these works for me. I always run premium (91 octane here), and when it starts to heat up going up any grade it is hard to get it to back off. Coming up Sardine I even tried backing off from 60 all the way to 30 mph and still overheated it.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by basecamp
You would think during their 24 hour 10k lbs torture test under full boost would have raised this issue.
You said it right there. Remember the test pulling that trailer around an oval track at full throttle for most of the track? Makes you think it was all BS doesn't it?

Old 08-05-2013, 12:23 AM
Basecamp I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue also. Makes me wonder how many people are really using their trucks like we are. Or maybe it is the higher elevation mixed with mountainous terrain that the engine cooling system cannot handle.

In conversation with a couple of my neighbors that also have ecoboost f150's, apparently they are having the same issue when towing. I have an 11 lariat w/max tow, one of my neighbors has a 12 xlt w/ standard tow and 3.55 gearing, and the other neighbor has a 12 xlt w/ max tow (she has only had hers for about 3 months). We are all describing the same issue when pulling up a grade.

I did take the trailer out again and it did the usual over temp error going over grades, no overheat warning this time. I am now detecting a miss at idle that will need to be checked out. Back to the dealer I go.

Last edited by Paulb04; 08-05-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:38 PM
This may be one of those "some people are experiencing the issue" problems.

I just did 2500 miles of towing from Seattle to Bryce Canyon via Pendelton, OR - Mountain Home, ID - Salt Lake City, UT with a 7000 lb travel trailer and had no heat problems at all. Of course I didn't do the bit from Boise to Bear Lake but I did do Snoqualmie pass and then all the grades on 90, 84, 15 and UTs 20 & 12. I know that doesn't help the OP (or others) but it seems to imply that the problem isn't simply that the truck can't do it. Then again maybe I was lucky on my trip and didn't hit the threshold for the issue - I watched the temps because I was interested as this was my first major tow with the 2013 (my transmission got to 213 according to the gauge display).

FWIW I have a 2013 XLT EB SCab 4x4 with Max Tow and I used 91/92 octane fuel for the trip.

Good luck with fixing the issue - Look forward to hearing about the hopefully successful resolution.

Last edited by tgoodhew; 08-11-2013 at 01:46 PM. Reason: adding further commentary
Old 09-06-2013, 11:54 PM
i have a 2012 Ecoboost max tow. Have the same problem. If I tow my 22' toy hauler from Phoenix to Flagstaff 9,000 lbs loaded and scaled. It overheats and you have to back off the throttle or it will peg. I only use 91 premium. Towing my 5500 lb boat over Flagstaff you see the needle move about 1/4" from normal but it doesn't get close to hot. I've been to Rodeo Ford twice, and same story, cant find anything wrong and I must be overworking it. Love the power, and it does not seem to be working hard pulling the toy hauler. I got rid of my 6.0 because it was such a POS and got the Eco. Little frustrated and have some 6.0 memories starting to sink in.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:30 AM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Phoenix to Flagstaff? Same thing as this thread:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...-ecoboost.html

I'd be tempted to let it peg, blow it up, and give it back to the dealer on a flatbed.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by thomr07
i have a 2012 Ecoboost max tow. Have the same problem. If I tow my 22' toy hauler from Phoenix to Flagstaff 9,000 lbs loaded and scaled. It overheats and you have to back off the throttle or it will peg. I only use 91 premium.
so with a 9000 lb trailer is your truck bed and cab empty except for you? A few people in the cab and some stuff in the bed and you are surely over your payload ratings.

When you scaled it did you check the truck axle weights?

What speed were you driving before you backed off the throttle?

It sounds like maybe you are pushing the limits a little too hard (or crossing them) and that is the cause of the problems.

just my .02

Old 09-14-2013, 12:17 PM
The weight is correct on the toy hauler, scaled it several times with the truck and it loaded to the hilt. I will say the pull to Flagstaff @ 8,000 feet from Phx @ 1,000 feet is brutal, several of the grades are 15 miles long and as soon as you top out they drop all the way down and you do it again for 140 miles. The truck pulls great and the low end torque is amazing and like I said before the engine isn't screaming, it's under 3,000 rpm and just pulling.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by thomr07
The weight is correct on the toy hauler, scaled it several times with the truck and it loaded to the hilt. I will say the pull to Flagstaff @ 8,000 feet from Phx @ 1,000 feet is brutal, several of the grades are 15 miles long and as soon as you top out they drop all the way down and you do it again for 140 miles. The truck pulls great and the low end torque is amazing and like I said before the engine isn't screaming, it's under 3,000 rpm and just pulling.
Could be a bad sensor reading incorrectly. It very possibly isn't really overheating.

Quick Reply: Overheating ecoboost when towing