1997 - 2003 F-150

Lost ignition key

Old 01-02-2013, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost ignition key

I have a 2001 F150 xlt that I recently lost the only key I have to...Called dealer and locksmith, both say vehicle is too old to search for key code by VIN...It has that anti theft chip in it so I am really stumped...Don't want to replace ignition but its beginning to look like that may be the only option unless I somehow obtain that code...Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:59 PM
The dealer can clear the code and make you 2 new keys. Call a different dealer.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:30 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
He needs the mechanical key cut first, not the PATS stuff, since he lost the only key he had.

Unfortunately, drilling out the old locks and cylinder to replace them, then reprogramming PATS is the only thing left to do. It will NOT be inexpensive.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:04 AM
If that Locksmith can't make a key from your current locks, call another one and never call the first guy again. Ford 8 cut locks are easy to make a mechanical key to.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:12 AM
what dealer said the truck is too old is nuts,what you need is the truck reg and your ID and any dealer can cut you and program your keys.I know this because i worked for a bmw dealer awhile back..or you can try a mobile lock smith.they can do it.good luck.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:51 AM
Originally Posted by itsme
what dealer said the truck is too old is nuts,what you need is the truck reg and your ID and any dealer can cut you and program your keys.I know this because i worked for a bmw dealer awhile back..or you can try a mobile lock smith.they can do it.good luck.
Ford, GM, and Dodge only go back 10 years on key codes. Pontiac was the only one that went back more then 10 years out of the American made cars.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:40 AM
What about finding one in a junk yard and taking all the internals out of it. Might be a pain, you'd have to get the door lock cyl's, the ignition, the electronic box that reads the key, the key itself if they had one, all that jaz..... not sure if the cheap price would offset all that work. But you could probably get it cheap.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:20 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I replaced my steering column a few months back with a scrap yard one. It came with a set of keys. It should cost in the $175.00 to $250.00 range. Installed it myself. That may be cheaper than your dealer's option.
I have a friend who is a locksmith and he is equipped to do quite a bit including reprogramming for new keys. A locksmith might be a cheaper option.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:27 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Call Keyless Ride in Georgetown, TX. They will most likely have a cheap solution.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by dinfantry11b
I have a 2001 F150 xlt that I recently lost the only key I have to...Called dealer and locksmith, both say vehicle is too old to search for key code by VIN...It has that anti theft chip in it so I am really stumped...Don't want to replace ignition but its beginning to look like that may be the only option unless I somehow obtain that code...Any ideas would be appreciated.
Hey bud, I lost my only set of keys last week. I have a 99 F1 50. I called the dealer and they said they would only do cars up to 10 years old. So I called a portable locksmith and he came out and made me a chip key and a door key. No prob! Was 175$ call another locksmith. No tumbler or ignition replacements needed. Even lost my key fob and bought a replacement on amazon for 4 dollars and was able to program without any problems whatsoever. Good luck!

Old 01-30-2013, 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
He needs the mechanical key cut first, not the PATS stuff, since he lost the only key he had.

Unfortunately, drilling out the old locks and cylinder to replace them, then reprogramming PATS is the only thing left to do. It will NOT be inexpensive.
Eh I contest that this isn't exactly true. I lost my keys last week, my only set, and locksmith was able to make mechanical and chip keys with no problems!!!!

Old 01-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Any locksmith can cut a new key with only the cylinder to work on. It's about the same price as cutting from a code when available, and only a few bucks more than using an existing key.

Then yeah like everyone else said, the dealer or the locksmith (if equipped) can take care of the chip/PATS problem.

Call a real, established locksmith with a store front. Not one that only works out of his van.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lost ignition key