1997 - 2003 F-150

EVAP/Catalyst Systems not ready

Old 04-30-2012, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVAP/Catalyst Systems not ready

I have a 2001 F-150 5.4 SC that won't pass emission testing because the EVAP and Catalyst systems are not ready. Obviously the testing facility told me to drive it more, but I have probaly drove 500 miles since then and it still is not ready. When I scan the vehicle with my AutoXRAY EZ-Scan 6000 I get the following information under the test results of the systems.

OBDMID $11 Fail
Test ID $01
0000 NOT>=0200
0000 <=FFFF
HO2S11 - Voltage Amplitude - Bank 1 - Sensor 1

I was guessing this was a faulty O2 sensor, but I have since replaced the sensor, cleared PCM and it still scans the same code.

Can anyone maybe explain this description in more detail to me to help me understand what I am missing.

Thanks - Jeff

Old 05-01-2012, 12:10 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
None of those codes look good. The code for it not having completed is po1000. Are you sure you have that scanner set to the right settings? are you ever telling it to clear the codes? That would reset the deal and you would start from scratch getting the PCM to get all its readings. From the codes your posting you have to have it set up wrong. Those arent Ford obdII codes.. double check the scanners settings and do not reset the PCM.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:41 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Invest in a cheap little Harbor Freight scanner ($38). At least you'll get straight up DTC's.

If you can' afford that right now, then hit up Auto Zone. They'll scan it for free for yuh - write down the DTC's that display.

You'll get more help here providing DTC's. Looks like your scanner didn't come with that option. Take it back.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:50 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I Googled that scanner. Its expensive.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by jethat
I Googled that scanner. Its expensive.
Maybe he should grab the manual on it ? There probably is a KAM scanner. Uknow, - just to retrieve the DTC's.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:32 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Set the scanner for standard OBD2 codes - if anything is not ready, the only code you will get is a P1000, then you can go into the advanced functions to determine exactly what is not ready. Any other "P" codes will indicate a problem. That's all the tester at the emissions station reads - standard "P" codes.

Did you replace the correct sensor? Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the front sensor on the passenger side.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
The output data is valid but is in a different and mixed format between dec, and hex code.
Use a standard scanner to get the codes so it's easier to interpet without referencing Ford OBDII test format the dealer insturments uses.
I suspect you have an intake air leak.
If you have an EVAP test not complete, they often take a long time to test complete as good.
Be awhere that everytime you clear code, the OBDII begins all over again so the EVAP testing will extend the time element.
Code 1000 is not a fault code per sey but is there until all 7 tests are complete and pass, then it clears.
Good luck.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:41 AM
Thanks for all the information. To answer your questions: The scanner is set up correct and there is nothing wrong with it, as far as I can tell. The manual has nothing on this type of information and the scanner is set up and operated IAW the manual. I even called Autox-ray to ask there advice, but they said everything seemed normal and the code I was getting was as bluegrass described it, Ford specific. I did change the O2 sensor on the passenger side in front of cat, bank 1, sensor 1, cleared codes, drove and rescanned only to have the same fault. I understand that everytime I clear the computet that the drive cycles start over and just extends the time until the EVAP system test runs. However, how long does it take the catalyst test to run? I can pass emissions with one test incomplete. Nevertheless, I will have the truck scanned at Auto Zone just to see if they come up with something different than what I already have. Needless to say, this is driving (no pun intended) me insane.

Jeff

Old 05-02-2012, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by EDDINGSJ
Thanks for all the information. To answer your questions: The scanner is set up correct and there is nothing wrong with it, as far as I can tell. The manual has nothing on this type of information and the scanner is set up and operated IAW the manual. I even called Autox-ray to ask there advice, but they said everything seemed normal and the code I was getting was as bluegrass described it, Ford specific. I did change the O2 sensor on the passenger side in front of cat, bank 1, sensor 1, cleared codes, drove and rescanned only to have the same fault. I understand that everytime I clear the computet that the drive cycles start over and just extends the time until the EVAP system test runs. However, how long does it take the catalyst test to run? I can pass emissions with one test incomplete. Nevertheless, I will have the truck scanned at Auto Zone just to see if they come up with something different than what I already have. Needless to say, this is driving (no pun intended) me insane.

Jeff
Your not getting any codes. Where do you see a code ?

Ford specific ? What are you talking about ? Different world, I don't read nothing like that , not at all.

If I had to guess, your getting monitor information, but that's it. This is a "Ford" specific forum that has allot of techs for members. The scanner you have, well, theyt will say whatever they have to, - they don't want to refund your money.

It's either that, or you just don't know what your doing setting it up.

Yea, thought I'd never say this, but Auto Zone will straighten it out.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-02-2012, 03:02 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
Your not getting any codes. Where do you see a code ?

Ford specific ? What are you talking about ? Different world, I don't read nothing like that , not at all.

If I had to guess, your getting monitor information, but that's it. This is a "Ford" specific forum that has allot of techs for members. The scanner you have, well, theyt will say whatever they have to, - they don't want to refund your money.

It's either that, or you just don't know what your doing setting it up.

Yea, thought I'd never say this, but Auto Zone will straighten it out.
You know that line is gonna end up in MGDfan's sig or something.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by jgger
You know that line is gonna end up in MGDfan's sig or something.

Yea, I had to shoe horn that one to my finger tips.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Ok, so Itook the truck to two different Auto Zones and one O'reilly's to have the PCM scanned and just as I suspected, they came up with absolutly nothing, no codes whatsoever. They only confirmed what I already knew, that the EVAP and catalyst system where not ready, minus the FOrd OBD II test format information that I had. So today I checked for vacuum leaks the best that I could with a vacuum guage and propane, didn't seem to find anything there. I also cleaned the MAF.

What is preventing me from seeing the P1000 if it is there? Could a faulty PCM be the cause of this? I would think if the PCM was bad I would be having more problems, but the truck runs great and idles smooth.

Thanks - Jeff

Old 05-02-2012, 11:03 PM

Then you must not even have a MIL.

Soo, What's the problem ?

Sure, if you keep resetting the KAM, - it's going to take a while for your monitors to complete. P1000 doesn't always show up, even with incomplete monitors.

You gave the impression there was a problem.

What exactly are you trying to do ? Or figure out.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:37 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Sounds like he is trying to get it through an emissions check and it won't pass with the evap and cats not ready.

Anyone got the link to the drive cycle for him?

Old 05-03-2012, 12:41 AM

For monitor execution ?

Yea, company DCF, here -

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EVAP/Catalyst Systems not ready