2004 - 2008 F-150

Steering Rack replacement DIY? Anyone done it..

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Rack replacement DIY? Anyone done it..

Tired of the steering wheel nibble and more importantly the new noise from the left front. If you grasp the steering arm on that side and have someone turn the wheel you can feel the slop and rotation in the rack. It makes a noise when going over bumps unweighted and it contributes to the nibble that shouldn't be there. Anyone have an estimate on parts and do it yourself labor effort? I just did the UBJ, LBJ, Outer Tie Rods and stabilizer end links myself so I'm no greenie but I've never done a rack.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You say you replaced the outer tie rods? Do you mean the tie rod ends? You do realize that it's probably the INNER tie rod that is loose, not the rack, right? That's got to cost a lot less than a rack. Also, even a new rack isn't going to get rid of the steering "nibble". That is going to have to be addressed as a separate issue. In all the inner tie rods that I have replaced on rack set-ups, I have never had to replace the rack itself.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:58 AM
I did the outer tie rod ends, yes. You think its the inner tie rod or tie rod end that I can feel grinding and moving around when the steering wheel is being moved? The tech at the shop was thinking it was the gears in the rack having developed a flat spot or a pit. Thoughts?

Old 11-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
This might help some. It's in the Articles and How To section.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...t-04-08-a.html

Old 11-02-2011, 02:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You sure your tires aren't flat spotting? I replaced all my front end components minus the rack and I only get nibble when my truck has been sitting.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Tires aren't flat spotting, main complaint is a loose sounding rattle front the drivers front when the suspension unloads. I'm beginning to really thing its the tie rods like Code58 said. I m annoyed at myself for not replacing those now that I see how not hard it is to do especially in light of the fact I did the rest of the work myself. Oh well.. off to ebay to order parts.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:19 AM
Originally Posted by JerryK
Tires aren't flat spotting, main complaint is a loose sounding rattle front the drivers front when the suspension unloads. I'm beginning to really thing its the tie rods like Code58 said. I m annoyed at myself for not replacing those now that I see how not hard it is to do especially in light of the fact I did the rest of the work myself. Oh well.. off to ebay to order parts.
As stated, that is the most common thing to cause looseness when you move the wheel back and forth, now that you have replaced the outer tie rods. It's always a possibility that there's a problem with the rack, but much more likely the ball on the inner tie rod. Takes a special tool to change that but I think maybe even Harbor Freight sells that. You should even be able to see the movement if you pull the boot back and turn the steering wheel all the way to one side before you shake it.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:14 AM
The irony is this sound developed within 500 miles of doing the rest if the suspension, but for those 500 miles it felt like new. I can rent the tool to swap the tie rods, and I got the parts for $12/side at rockauto and since I can do labor myself it's a no brainer: swap the parts and on my drive to the shop for the alignment I'll know if it's fixed or not. If not, they can put in a new rack and then align it.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by code58
As stated, that is the most common thing to cause looseness when you move the wheel back and forth, now that you have replaced the outer tie rods. It's always a possibility that there's a problem with the rack, but much more likely the ball on the inner tie rod. Takes a special tool to change that but I think maybe even Harbor Freight sells that. You should even be able to see the movement if you pull the boot back and turn the steering wheel all the way to one side before you shake it.
I needed no special tool when I did mine.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:53 AM
Originally Posted by JerryK
The irony is this sound developed within 500 miles of doing the rest if the suspension, but for those 500 miles it felt like new. I can rent the tool to swap the tie rods, and I got the parts for $12/side at rockauto and since I can do labor myself it's a no brainer: swap the parts and on my drive to the shop for the alignment I'll know if it's fixed or not. If not, they can put in a new rack and then align it.
Jerry, how long have you owned the truck? The "nibble" has been around since the New Body came out as an '04 model and some people have been fortunate enough not ot have it, others it has been a nightmare for. I had it somewhat until I had the tires "road force balanced" which took care of MOST of it. A new rack MIGHT take care of it, might not. If it's still there after inner rod replacement I think I'd adjust the tension on the rack before I had it replaced.
. Can't hurt and might take care of it. As stated, a new rack may or may not take care of it.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
I've replaced a rack years ago on another vehicle .... but it was because turning left resulted in higher force being needed, like "no power" when cool.

I agree, look at inner tie rod ends first.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:25 AM
Just curious if you were able to fix the knock!?

Ive been following your post as my 2005 FX4 has been experiencing the same issues for a couple of months.

Im going to forgo changing the inner tie rods and go from there before replacing the rack and pinion. However looking for a little guidance from someone who's been through all the run around now.

Thanks in advance.
Crys

Quick Reply: Steering Rack replacement DIY? Anyone done it..