2004 - 2008 F-150

Wheel Spacer install

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Spacer install

Hi guys,

I know this will sound stupid but how do you install the wheel spacers? I am looking at getting a pair from this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ht_1822wt_1139

I dont install anything on my truck that I cant un-install. I saw someone comment that you have to cut your existing studs down so they will fit? Is that true? If so I wont be buying a pair. Also does it matter if you buy 1.5" or 2" spacers to if they need to be chopped.

Cheers

Cos

Old 10-25-2010, 04:24 PM
I can't answer any of your questions, but I can tell you that wheel spacers are a highly debated issue as far as safety and suspension issues. Do a search and read up. I decided to not use wheel spacers after the info I read. Good luck on getting the info you need.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:33 PM
You do not have to cut your studs if the spacers are larger than 1.5 inches. Many ppl use spacers, I have some sitting waiting to be put on as we speak, but im waiting for new tires first. I have read many of the opinions on here regarding them, and some have me turned off while others have had no problems. The thing that made me decide to get them was IDNC's truck...he runs 38" tires and put them on not too long ago and said they run smooth and tho it hasnt been long with them on if they can handle heavy 38" tall tires they will be fine with my 34's. There are a couple different options...some are hub centric which are better than the others that are not but do cost a lot more.

I think its preference at this point, and a cheap alternative to new wheels

Old 10-25-2010, 04:35 PM
^^Sorry for redundancy, typing while you posted

Essentially you slide the spacer over your existing studs and bolt it down. Then your tire goes over the studs on the spacer. As for length, I do not know what the OEM studs measure, but they have to be no more than flush in the spacer. So yes I would say the 1.5 or 2 could make a difference into cutting down the existing studs depending on how long they are.

If you don't mind me asking whats your reason for wanting/needing wheel spacers? Looks or clearance?

Old 10-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks for all the info. I looked into it further and if you have everything tight properly spacers put no more stress on suspension or lugs compared to a rim that provides the same offset.

As for why? My truck needs them. The rims I have are from an expedition, it is what came on the truck. The backspacing is just not enough for me. Plus my new tires are almost brand new.

Reason I ask about cutting studs is that my rule for mods is that it must never be something i can't just unbolt and put back to stock. I want 1.5" and someone is selling a pair on here. I think 2" may be too much but if it makes me avoid cutting studs I would go with them.

Sorry if the typing is horrid I am on my iphone

Old 10-25-2010, 08:06 PM
I bought 1.5" spacers just for pure cosmetics, they will look way better with the rims stuck out alittle more.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by ride_002000
I bought 1.5" spacers just for pure cosmetics, they will look way better with the rims stuck out alittle more.
If you like you're truck looking like a roller skate.

Wheel spacers are a stupid way to make up for not having the correct wheel/tire combo for the suspension setup on your vehicle. I rank them right there with body lifts.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:32 PM
My rims and tires are fine for my setup, no rubbing at all. I just prefer my truck to have a little wider stance. And there is nothing wrong with a body lift, many ppl have them and are completely happy with them. It comes down to price for most. Not everyone is made of money.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by GTRider245
If you like you're truck looking like a roller skate.

Wheel spacers are a stupid way to make up for not having the correct wheel/tire combo for the suspension setup on your vehicle. I rank them right there with body lifts.
To each their own. I compare it to a semi truck compared to a bulldog. The bulldog looks way more stable than the tractor trailer.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the input. Are your set hub centric and did you have to cut your stock studs? Thanks!

Old 10-26-2010, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by the_cosworth
Thanks for the input. Are your set hub centric and did you have to cut your stock studs? Thanks!
Mine are not hub centric. I havent put them on yet, im gonna wait until I get new tires next month, I got them on the forum for $65 shipped so I couldnt pass them up.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Mine are not hub centric. I havent put them on yet, im gonna wait until I get new tires next month, I got them on the forum for $65 shipped so I couldnt pass them up.
Fair enough. You may want to look at picking up a set of hub centric if you find you like your lug centric ones. The stress isnt distributed properly on a set of lug centric and could cause problems.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:12 PM
Spacer sizes

I have a 2004 f150 2wd. It has a 2.5" supreme suspensions leveling kit, 295/70 tires and stock 17" wheels. I was wondering if I needed to worry about different size spacers for front/rear or to get the same size for all 4... Any help would be great. Thanks

Old 05-12-2016, 12:12 PM
??

Sold? Or still available?

Old 07-23-2016, 12:06 AM
My friend has a FX4 and put 325/something tires on, so naturally it was going to hit the components horribly, he put on ¼" spacers and it worked perfectly. I would say anything past ¼" wouldn't leave enough stud. It's either ¼ or 1.5 inch. Only get hub centric, and don't over torque the spacer. I did that on a past truck and it warped the brake rotors. And also- if you're running stock wheels, it shouldn't be a problem. It's the same as going to a very low negative offset rim.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacer install