2004 - 2008 F-150

In 4X4 binds and slows down when turning.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In 4X4 binds and slows down when turning.

I have a 2004 F150, used as a daily driver and have noticed that in 4 hi which I used in snow mostly, once I hit pavement it seems to really slow up and almost feels like its binding when I am turning, I notice it more when I am moving slow through parking lots or on turns, is this a normal thing with these trucks, I know it has posi traction. Any way if I could get your guys opinion on this it would be helpful. Thanks,

Old 02-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Normal, every 4x4 does it

Old 02-27-2010, 06:18 PM
And stop using 4x4 mode on pavement.

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shotgunz
And stop using 4x4 mode on pavement.
X2 Name:  twak.gif
Views: 4051
Size:  1.6 KB

Old 02-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If there is Enough traction for yer tires to not slip when turnig why. Do you have it in for hi?

Old 02-27-2010, 08:02 PM
I think he meant, "If there is enough traction for your tires NOT to slip, why do you have it in 4HI?"

Right?

Old 02-27-2010, 08:03 PM
AND, if you keep using it on pavement you will eventually tear something out of the front end and end up with an unnecessary repair bill. It's not like its hard work to reach up and twist the ****!

Old 02-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Scotty Dog
I have a 2004 F150, used as a daily driver and have noticed that in 4 hi which I used in snow mostly, once I hit pavement it seems to really slow up and almost feels like its binding when I am turning, I notice it more when I am moving slow through parking lots or on turns, is this a normal thing with these trucks, I know it has posi traction. Any way if I could get your guys opinion on this it would be helpful. Thanks,
Wow, 6 replies and not one that was helpful in any way.

4x4 is only meant to be used on surfaces that allow the front wheels to slip. Stuff like mud, snow/ice, sand, that kind of thing. When you shift into 4x4 (HI or Low) the front wheels are locked through the transfer case to the rear wheels. If you're on dry pavement the front wheels will bind when you turn because the hard angles are too much for the system to deal with. Being on a slick surface allows everything to slide and prevents the binding.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Tbird,
He didn't ask about how it worked, he asked if it was supposed to do that. If he wanted to know HOW it worked he should have asked. ALL of the above information you provided, is available on his visor and in his owners manual. It also tell you NOT to dive on dry pavement in 4WD. This is COMMON SENSE when you own a 4x4. It still amazes me to this day why people will buy something that they know NOTHING about.
He also asked if it was normal to do this..... THAT question got answered on the second post!

Old 02-27-2010, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by the4by4freek
Tbird,
He didn't ask about how it worked, he asked if it was supposed to do that. If he wanted to know HOW it worked he should have asked. ALL of the above information you provided, is available on his visor and in his owners manual. It also tell you NOT to dive on dry pavement in 4WD. This is COMMON SENSE when you own a 4x4. It still amazes me to this day why people will buy something that they know NOTHING about.
He also asked if it was normal to do this..... THAT question got answered on the second post!
The whole point of this forum is to get answers to things that you don't know. Someone owning their first 4x4 isn't going to know this stuff.

Re-read the OP. Here I'll make it easy and highlight it for you:

Originally Posted by Scotty Dog
Judging by your contribution you're not interested in helping him understand why he can't use 4x4 on dry pavement, you just wanted to make him feel stupid for asking.

Last edited by Tbird69; 02-27-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:07 PM
leave it to the Canadians to answer nicely....

Old 02-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
This is why people need to be trained on how to use equipment.

A truck is a piece of heavy machinery in my mind. No different than a tractor, excavator, frontloader, Bobcat, boom-lift, bulldozer... and on and on.

You wouldn't think twice of giving keys to a deadly Catapillar D9 bulldozer to someone that has no clue on how to use it?! I didn't think so.

Same sense here... if you don't know how to operate it, go for training or sit down with a cup of Joe and at LEAST read the manual.

Everyone likes to think they know it all and stick the key in and drive it around.

It's all fun and games until someone gets killed.

Reminds me of this... got one of these posted in my barn and my front door:

Last edited by ManualF150; 02-27-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
This is why people need to be trained on how to use equipment.

A truck is a piece of heavy machinery in my mind. No different than a tractor, excavator, frontloader, Bobcat, boom-lift, bulldozer... and on and on.

You wouldn't think twice of giving keys to a deadly Catapillar D9 bulldozer to someone that has no clue on how to use it?! I didn't think so.

Same sense here... if you don't know how to operate it, go for training or sit down with a cup of Joe and at LEAST read the manual.

Everyone likes to think they know it all and stick the key in and drive it around.

It's all fun and games until someone gets killed.
This totally contradicts what you said in the "Chevy trucks doin' work" thread in GD. There you said that "these are just simple pickup trucks", now you're saying they're heavy machinery.

I think you better quit while you're behind.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Well Thanks I guess.... It is my first 4X4 and I do not drive around in 4x4, I live in Canada and it snows here from time to time, I noticed it the other day driving from slushy roads into a parking lot that was plowed and clear, guess I was just to lazy to reach up for the ****.... any way it was just a question, thanks to those who answered. Guess I will look into a Heavy Machinery course to properly used my Truck...

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Yeah I noticed that too when the roads got too dry, some of the people on here need medication I think..too irritable. No harm done anyhow, just don't use the 4-wheel drive when driving conditions aren't slippery, and rain doesn't count..it has to be snow, mud, something of that nature. If you have a vehicle with all-wheel-drive you can have it in all-wheel-drive all the time, it won't harm anything except for gas mileage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In 4X4 binds and slows down when turning.