2009 - 2014 F-150

Sync Stopped Working Today...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sync Stopped Working Today...

Was driving in Northern Iowa, and using Sync for a handsfree call with my blackberry, and lost the call. Went to use voice command to redial, and.... nothing.

Pressed the steering wheel button a few times, nothing. Pressed the phone button on the radio, it stayed on satellite. Pressed the AUX button a handful of times too, but it just jumped the radio to FM and wouldn't let me access any SYNC functions.

Stopped truck, shut off for a minute, walked around truck cussing and swearing. Hopped back in and started up, but no SYNC. I put 409 miles on truck yesterday, 524 today, and will be at least 400 tomorrow, and most of my miles are spent on the phone with customers and distributors. Obviously I hate the concept of not having SYNC. Maybe SYNC has an 8 hour per day phone limit?

Scheduled with Ford dealer for Friday. They said most likely a battery cable pull will correct the issue. I won't let them treat the truck like a PC. Its not acceptable to have to pull the battery cable every time SYNC croaks, especially considering I have no clue about the root cause.

Ok, done venting, I'll keep everyone updated. The rest of the truck is working great, gonna pass 28k miles this week, just hate having a potential electronic or software problem...

IowaAndy

Old 12-01-2009, 09:34 PM
I believe there is a tsb for the 09+ trucks concerning sync. But yeah, ur covered!!!

Old 12-01-2009, 10:49 PM
disconnect the battery for 5 mins and try it it should reset it.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pulling a fuse is easier...

Originally Posted by Deano-FX4
disconnect the battery for 5 mins and try it it should reset it.
Just pull fuse No. 14 in the passenger compartment fuse panel.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:13 AM
don't pull the fuse, disconnecting the battery is meant to reset the module.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:38 PM
I'm having a similiar problem, but not as bad. Everything works well on sync except voice activating mode in the phonebook. The system understands the "phone" command, but when told to call someone from phone-book, its gets confused. Don't realize why this just started, because I was amazed how well it could bring up a number from my voice command. I read the manual and it talks about a reset, but find it strange it recognizes the "phone" command, but not the call someone from phone-book. If I ask for my wife Jinnie, it thinks I'm saying Chuckie, or ask for Kenny, it thinks Clark. Yes I tried speaking loud/soft and as clear as I can???? Any ideas, I'm not a "bring it in" type of guy.("09 FX-4 SCAB) THANKS in advance

Old 12-03-2009, 11:42 PM
I had the same issue a few months ago. Sync stopped working no phone, ipod went @#$@ up. Dealer replaced Synce module, the original stopped recognizing the usb ports and bluetooth. So far havent had any other issues with it.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:03 PM
IowaAndy,

The SYNC in my '09 FX4 has gone out 3 times in the past week - twice while driving on the Eastern side of Iowa (long drive getting tractor parts repaired...). Any updates on yours? TSB related (if so what number)? Mine is at the shop now and I am afraid I am going to get the "unhook the battery to reset" run-around. Sounds like I have the exact same problem as you...

Thank you!
IllinoisMark

Last edited by BC2009IL; 12-29-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by shotgunz
Originally Posted by Deano-FX4
don't pull the fuse, disconnecting the battery is meant to reset the module.
Pulling the fuse is the same thing as disconnecting the battery without all the other negatives. I had Sync issues as well and the Sync guy at FORD pulled a fuse on the passenger side to force a Sync reset so Shotgunz is correct.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:04 AM
seems to me you guys need to stop driving through Iowa and you should be all set ;-)

Old 01-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by ajsturtz
Was driving in Northern Iowa, and using Sync for a handsfree call with my blackberry, and lost the call. Went to use voice command to redial, and.... nothing.

Pressed the steering wheel button a few times, nothing. Pressed the phone button on the radio, it stayed on satellite. Pressed the AUX button a handful of times too, but it just jumped the radio to FM and wouldn't let me access any SYNC functions.

Stopped truck, shut off for a minute, walked around truck cussing and swearing. Hopped back in and started up, but no SYNC. I put 409 miles on truck yesterday, 524 today, and will be at least 400 tomorrow, and most of my miles are spent on the phone with customers and distributors. Obviously I hate the concept of not having SYNC. Maybe SYNC has an 8 hour per day phone limit?

Scheduled with Ford dealer for Friday. They said most likely a battery cable pull will correct the issue. I won't let them treat the truck like a PC. Its not acceptable to have to pull the battery cable every time SYNC croaks, especially considering I have no clue about the root cause.

Ok, done venting, I'll keep everyone updated. The rest of the truck is working great, gonna pass 28k miles this week, just hate having a potential electronic or software problem...

IowaAndy
In lieu of pulling fuses or battery cables, have you tried the Sync Master Reset? I am having problems with my Sync not recognizing my address book requests and it will no longer let me manually dial so I was thinking of trying it. Below are the directions from www.syncmyride.com

Performing a master reset:

Performing a master reset will not only return all preference settings to
the factory defaults, but it will also completely erase all phone book, call
history and text messages previously downloaded to SYNC. To access:
1. Press the PHONE hard button on the navigation system.
2. Select the ‘Settings’ tab on the
touchscreen.
3. Select ‘Advanced’.
4. Scroll using / on the
navigation screen and select ‘Master
Reset’.
5. SYNC will ask you to confirm.
Press YES to continue.
SYNC will confirm when the
master reset is complete.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Ctrl@ltDel
In lieu of pulling fuses or battery cables, have you tried the Sync Master Reset? I am having problems with my Sync not recognizing my address book requests and it will no longer let me manually dial so I was thinking of trying it. Below are the directions from www.syncmyride.com

Performing a master reset:

Performing a master reset will not only return all preference settings to
the factory defaults, but it will also completely erase all phone book, call
history and text messages previously downloaded to SYNC. To access:
1. Press the PHONE hard button on the navigation system.
2. Select the ‘Settings’ tab on the
touchscreen.
3. Select ‘Advanced’.
4. Scroll using / on the
navigation screen and select ‘Master
Reset’.
5. SYNC will ask you to confirm.
Press YES to continue.
SYNC will confirm when the
master reset is complete.
A Master Reset doesn't always work and the service tech at Ford as well as reading on various other sites state that the best thing to do is to pull the fuse.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:07 AM
Master reset won't work on mine - SYNC has to be on/operational for that. Tried the fuse thing a couple times and not sure if it was coincidence or if it acutally worked. The truck has been to the dealership 3 times now - first time got software update, but still produced error codes...follow-up trip to replace the APIM and reprogram. Now at least when SYNC doesn't come back on, shutting the radio and/or truck off generally gets it back on - third trip was another software update.

To the original poster - what did your dealership do and is your problem resolved? So far so good on mine, but it's only been 24 hours (I may just avoid driving it in Iowa now as it does seem to do it most there )...

Old 02-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by shotgunz
On my 2010 it is fuse 13. Pulled it for about 5 minutes or so and it reset mine.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tbraquet
On my 2010 it is fuse 13. Pulled it for about 5 minutes or so and it reset mine.

Yeah - I fat fingered it when I typed it in.

Quick Reply: Sync Stopped Working Today...